Apple Compressor 4 to ProRes 4444

Started by halasima, April 08, 2014, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halasima

Aloha, I'm new here, so don't kill me.  But I feel like I've studied all sorts of post workflows recommended for RAW out of the 5D Mark III, and was just wondering why people don't talk more about taking the CinemaDNG image sequence created by RAWmagic, and just using Apples Compressor 4 to batch compress it to Apple ProRes 4444 (or whatever codec you want to work with).  I tried it on a whim, and it worked awesomely.  I imagine if the naming convention is maintained, you should be able to reconnect to the CDNG files in Resolve, or whatever color corrector you want to use after (that likes CinemaDNG), and color correct those monster files with all the room in the world.  But this, I imagine, makes a much simpler workflow for the "quick to the web" guy, that doesn't want to create TIFFs first in Adobe or for projects that don't have time to go back through a full color process (so you don't need Resolve). 

I was impressed with how fast Compressor 4 worked the image sequences into 4444 quicktimes, along with being able to run it as a batch of clips (as apposed to one at a time with so many other processes I've seen).  And I definitely noticed the extra room with my "old school" 3 Wheel Color Corrector in FCP 7.  I'm switching to Premiere, but still am a billion times faster in FCP 7, and wanted to try it there.  But yeah, is this a process that has been out there and awful to some pro's for some reason?  Or does it just need a little more public notice?

guillemvalle