[WONTFIX] 5D Mark III optimizing downscale algorithm DIGIC5+

Started by danielschweinert, July 22, 2012, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielschweinert

These new powerful DIGIC 5+ image processors can handle almost any task that you give to them - in realtime. They're built in the 5D Mark III, EOS-1DX and the soon available 4K EOS-1DC DSLR with 8bit 4:2:2 1080p HDMI output. This makes me think that the Canon management told their engineers to cripple the power of the lower end DSLRs like the EOS-1DX, 5D Mark III, 650D by using only a different software. The hardware parts are almost the same if you check the specifications (besides the CMOS sensors). With this faster DIGIC 5+ image processor it should be possible to gain more (or real 1080p) resolution (like the Panasonic GH2) from a 5D Mark III by optimizing the intentionally crippled downscale algorithm.

With the 5D Mark II they introduced line-skipping because the processor was not fast enough to handle the stream of data. Now they advertise the new 5D Mark III does not use line-skipping anymore.

When I see what you guys at Magic Lantern have succeeded so far, Im wondering if these very talented programmers could also implement a MPEG variant XF 422 codec at 50Mbit in a 5D Mark III or at least unlock the full potential of the DIGIC5+ processor.

The hardware is right in front of us, we just need some software engineers to make it work with real FullHD like Canon advertised :-)

Thanks so far for your invaluable work!

nanomad

A camera is made of many parts, the processor and the cmos being just two of them.... 
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

danielschweinert

Im just saying that these codecs are not hardware based like they were before. Nowadays they are made out of 0 and 1 - it's much more cheaper for the companies to drop it faster on the market and offering firmware updates later if something doesn't work right.

a1ex