NEW DAVINCI RESOLVE 11. COLOR + EDITING TOOLS.

Started by budafilms, April 08, 2014, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyD30

Quote from: fisawa on August 06, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
Have you set the Macbook display settings to more space (1920x1200)? DVR doesn't support the standard retina resolution.

Works :D

Quote from: Africashot on August 06, 2014, 06:04:03 PM
Yep, thats what I meant, now that it is out of beta I had hoped it is fixed, but it is still doing this! Am I the only one who is annoyed by this?

Yeah, beta 1 was worse, it happened every time you changed major views, not just within the color view like beta 2. But @fisawa found good solution.

fisawa

Just so you guys know: the minimum screen resolution for DVR is 1680x1050, and that's written in the DaVinci config guide.

budafilms

Quote from: fisawa on August 06, 2014, 08:22:35 PM
Just so you guys know: the minimum screen resolution for DVR is 1680x1050, and that's written in the DaVinci config guide.

Thanks, it's a good shortcut for write to Davinci Devs or find an external monitor equal or bigger than that.

In My macbook 13 doesn't fit, Only in the mac pro with a full hd.

Africashot

Thanks fisawa, sorted my problem out! Looking forward to my next grading session already!
ML 5D2 & T3i

Francis Frenkel

Is it possible to use 2 monitors (with windows)?
One to "work" with tools, and one to vizualise (play back)

I got only one Graphic card... is it possible now ?

If yes : how ?

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

jimmyD30

Quote from: fisawa on August 06, 2014, 08:22:35 PM

This resolution works too :D

dyfid

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on August 07, 2014, 12:27:23 PM

Francis

Best to avoid using the graphics card interfaces at all for the display you 'grade' on and instead use a mini monitor PCI on Windows and Ultrastudio mini monitor TB for mac.

You could feed your GUI monitor or monitors with the DVI, hdmi or Display port from your graphics card or multiple graphics cards and even a small monitor for the scopes.

fisawa

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on August 07, 2014, 12:27:23 PM

Francis

To playback on other monitor in DaVinci you necessarily need to have a Ultrastudio Monitor solution or something alike. But you can have 2 screens with the DVR UI and Scopes, for example.

budafilms

I'm really impressed with this tool useful for MAC and PC. Try it!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

@Midphase I think you tried.

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: fisawa on August 08, 2014, 03:40:45 AM
To playback on other monitor in DaVinci you necessarily need to have a Ultrastudio Monitor solution or something alike. But you can have 2 screens with the DVR UI and Scopes, for example.

I already have 2 screens on my computer !
> but my question was ; is it possible to custom the Resolve windows, and push the playback windows on my other screen like I do with Sony Vegas Pro NLE !

Then you anwser is : non without Ultrastudio Monitor....

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Midphase

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on August 09, 2014, 05:03:36 PM
I already have 2 screens on my computer !
> but my question was ; is it possible to custom the Resolve windows, and push the playback windows on my other screen like I do with Sony Vegas Pro NLE !

Then you anwser is : non without Ultrastudio Monitor....

No...not possible right now. Your best option is to get yourself a PCI or USB3 or TB Blackmagic device that allows you to output 10bit HDMI, and then Resolve will see that as your main video display monitor for playback only, and the other monitor as the GUI monitor. Otherwise, right now there is no way to customize the panels.

I encourage everyone involved in this thread to create an account on the Blackmagic Design forum to ask these questions. You will get more accurate and quick responses from the Resolve community than the ML community when it comes to this particular application.

dyfid

10bit output from the mini monitor or similar PCIe or TB device is not really the most important part imho, the strengths of the mini monitor type device is it bypasses the graphics card output interfaces and therefore avoids any levels scaling and OS Level ICC colour management. Which needs to be ignored because Resolve doesn't use ICCs.

It requires 3D LUTs for final calibration of the display created sensing the patches sent to Resolves display output, if a ICC display profile is active in that chain then the 3D LUT calibration will be screwed up by the active ICC profile. Which is even more an issue on a mac. Also if the monitors are also used for applications that use ICC profiles for colour management, such as LR or PS the ICC (1D gamma curve part) can load at boot or login as normal for use with ICC based apps without affecting Resolve IF a mini monitor is used to bypass active ICC's.

Not directly related to dual monitor set up but there's also factors like insufficient screen refresh rate support from computer monitors or automatic switching between refresh rates depending on project settings which would be supported by a dedicated display fed from the mini monitor and native screen resolutions rather than scaling to fit the GUI. Many computer monitors lack sufficient hardware controls to correct RGB separation, grey scale and pull the display into rec709 before final calibration with the 3D Display LUT in Resolves Monitor LUT project options. Fine if the computer monitor is decent and calibrates well.

But it can be better to use a couple of cheap 20 - 22" monitors for the GUI fed by the graphics card and spend the money instead on a larger dedicated display fed by a mini monitor over hdmi, even a decent 32 - 42" LED TV as dedicated display if finances are tight, upgrade later.

More refresh rates are generally supported, generally better hardware calibration controls although screen uniformity can be an issue and onboard TV colour management can be pretty poor screwing with RGB separation unless picking a decent make and screen size large enough to more easily see noise in the image at native resolution with no scaling artifacts. After switching all the motion smoothing and noise reduction off.

Alfazzz

Quote from: Midphase on August 09, 2014, 08:48:16 PM
No...not possible right now. Your best option is to get yourself a PCI or USB3 or TB Blackmagic device that allows you to output 10bit HDMI, and then Resolve will see that as your main video display monitor for playback only, and the other monitor as the GUI monitor. Otherwise, right now there is no way to customize the panels.

I encourage everyone involved in this thread to create an account on the Blackmagic Design forum to ask these questions. You will get more accurate and quick responses from the Resolve community than the ML community when it comes to this particular application.

Hi,
Another option perhaps (do not tested with resolve) for ipad user, is a little app called twomonusb which allow you to use your ipad as a second or third monitor. I use it with premiere and ae and it´s working very well...it´s usb.

Midphase

Quote from: Alfazzz on August 10, 2014, 10:53:06 AM
Hi,
Another option perhaps (do not tested with resolve) for ipad user, is a little app called twomonusb which allow you to use your ipad as a second or third monitor. I use it with premiere and ae and it´s working very well...it´s usb.

Resolve won't recognize it as a playback monitor. Resolve is coded to output a full image on an actual video HDMI/SGI interface, not to an iPad using USB.

If one wants to use 1 monitor as the GUI monitor, and the 2nd monitor as a full screen playback window, they need to get themselves a Video interface (ideally from Blackmagic so there are the least amount of issues).

Satis

Quote from: Midphase on August 10, 2014, 08:25:50 PM
Resolve won't recognize it as a playback monitor. Resolve is coded to output a full image on an actual video HDMI/SGI interface, not to an iPad using USB.

If one wants to use 1 monitor as the GUI monitor, and the 2nd monitor as a full screen playback window, they need to get themselves a Video interface (ideally from Blackmagic so there are the least amount of issues).

Another option is investing into a dualhead (or triplehead according to personal taste), which basically takes one video card output and splits it in 2 or 3, that way you can split the screen. I have no clue how it would look, but it's an option.
A friend of mine uses it for visual installations.

edit: rereading your post, the video interface you mentioned might as well do the same (I don't know it)
50D IR, 600D, 550D

gomogomo

I BOUGHT A HACKED VERSION OF DAVINCI RESOLVE 11 IN CHINA, AND IT WORKS FINE, NEVER CRASHES LIKE THE HACKED VERSIONS ONLINE,  IT WAS SHIPPED WITH AN USB DOGGLE... FOR A TOTAL OF 20USD

budafilms

Quote from: gomogomo on August 11, 2014, 09:02:20 AM
I BOUGHT A HACKED VERSION OF DAVINCI RESOLVE 11 IN CHINA, AND IT WORKS FINE, NEVER CRASHES LIKE THE HACKED VERSIONS ONLINE,  IT WAS SHIPPED WITH AN USB DOGGLE... FOR A TOTAL OF 20USD

We don't use illegally software.
Sorry, we work and participate in an open source under rules and norms.
I hope you can understand.

Africashot

Quote from: gomogomo on August 11, 2014, 09:02:20 AM
WE ALSO REFRAIN FROM USING ALL CAPS!!! Resolve light is free; if you need the extra features pay for it!
ML 5D2 & T3i

Pablito

Quote from: budafilms on August 11, 2014, 11:48:35 AM
We don't use illegally software.
A fine distinction.
We only use hacked Canon software.
5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |
24-70mm f2.8L MkII | 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkII | Sigma 12-24 II | Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB CF & 16GB SD

Midphase

Just for the record, if you get this, it should give you what you need:

DeckLink Mini Monitor

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/models

For $150, it's a pretty affordable way use a monitor for video playback only in Resolve. The HDMI is 10bit, but unfortunately the large majority of monitors are probably restricted to 8bit. Nonetheless, it's probably the cheapest and easiest way to assign the video playback to a specific monitor while using the other computer monitor as the Resolve GUI.

dyfid

Dedicated video playback via Mini Monitor isn't just restricted to Resolve btw.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/

You'll see that the device is also supported in AE CC, FCPX, PS CS, Premiere CS, Nuke & Avid Media Composer, Sony Vegas Pro etc etc. So even more useful, whether on Resolve, not sure whether to move to Resolve or no intention to move.

10bit is least important. I don't think many will see that as a reason to purchase.

baldavenger

EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

budafilms

dyfid

They profiled the individual cameras with colour charts under controlled conditions, giving them the input values so they know how to transform those through the FilmConvert process to arrive at all the emulated film stocks, just like they did with h264 camera profiles.

They too suggest BMD Film for colour space for raw and with HR on for all clips regardless. Only time HR is needed is if the raw data gets clipped and judicial use of HR can be detrimental. ML provides a raw histogram with clip alerts to avoid the HR problem and minor clipping of highlights is just that.

Why is BMD Film being recommended everywhere for raw? Is Canon raw data sufficient to spread over a wider gamut. Are the red and blue photo sites on Canon sensors receptive to capture well beyond 709 or is it more about adopting the BMD gamma curve for raw and unfortuneatly with that comes the wider gamut colour space beyond what is required?

For end to end in Resolve for raw what point is BMD Film, 11 offers much more raw control compared to 10. Or does BMD Film help with all the 3D LUT ***kery masquarading as grading going on. Going to log curve of some sort for grading outside of Resolve fair enough.

Midphase

Quote from: dyfid on August 12, 2014, 11:39:17 AM
For end to end in Resolve for raw what point is BMD Film, 11 offers much more raw control compared to 10. Or does BMD Film help with all the 3D LUT ***kery masquarading as grading going on. Going to log curve of some sort for grading outside of Resolve fair enough.

What is really truly needed is a correct Input transform in Resolve for the ML raw data. Unfortunately when it comes to ML raw, Resolve is really just guessing and the best we can do is feed it the next best thing which is BMD Film, but it's not truly the best setting since it's designed for the BMD cameras which obviously have different sensors and different ways to process color.

Unfortunately (and here I get myself in trouble again) this is what happens when there  is so much emphasis being put on how to squeeze every little capability in-camera, but not much as to what happens once the data leaves the camera. I wish I had knowledge on how to create the correct Input profile, and connect with Blackmagic to get them to implement it into Resolve. Unfortunately I barely understand it as a user, and my mental resources are pretty much all tapped out by the skill set that I require to make a living.

BMD works for me in the meantime, so this is just to answer your question.