NEW DAVINCI RESOLVE 11. COLOR + EDITING TOOLS.

Started by budafilms, April 08, 2014, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

@kontrakatze:
Thx!
Sounds so simple.
How do you adjust the clear white with the color temp? Shouldn this be adjusted automatically? I mean on the colorchecker passport you have also a white panel.

@budafilms:
Thx for the advise, but i know the wheels quite well, the manual goes much deeper into the material and is very interesting..

togg

I'm waiting for a cuda update, the edit section seems a little bit slow now that I've tried it better.
As for the software there're a few bugs, the more important is that sometimes every color option stay stucked and nothing change, only the raw pannel options works. I can't say the exact path to reproduce this but it happens to me different times, it's boring to close and reopen the application.

edit: and I'm expierencing frequent GPU panic that freeze the computer and then make it restart, this needs to be fix.

budafilms

Quote from: togg on June 28, 2014, 01:13:22 PM
I'm waiting for a cuda update, the edit section seems a little bit slow now that I've tried it better.
As for the software there're a few bugs, the more important is that sometimes every color option stay stucked and nothing change, only the raw pannel options works. I can't say the exact path to reproduce this but it happens to me different times, it's boring to close and reopen the application.

edit: and I'm expierencing frequent GPU panic that freeze the computer and then make it restart, this needs to be fix.

In Preferences, CPU, you can select work with CUDA - Open CL or AUTO. You don´t need Cuda drives. Try with this option. Maybe it´s the hard disk.
I think you use PC, because Mac have CUDA drive updated.

togg

Quote from: budafilms on June 29, 2014, 01:12:59 AM
In Preferences, CPU, you can select work with CUDA - Open CL or AUTO. You don´t need Cuda drives. Try with this option. Maybe it´s the hard disk.

I've a Mac, they're updated yes but after a new Resolve sometimes a new cuda pop out and the performances become better.

tin2tin

Quote from: budafilms on June 29, 2014, 01:12:59 AM
I'm on a PC and I don't see that option under Preferences(and I have an nvidia card supporting cuda).

Bassman2003

Wow, this is really an amazing program.  I have a few questions if anybody knows the answers:

1) How does Resolve 11 work with ML RAW and MLV files?  Is there any type of conversion step to work with your footage?

2) vs Adobe ACR - I have two things that I really like in ACR, lens corrections and my custom DNG color profiles for each lens I own.  Does Resolve 11 have anything close to the functionality of these two features?

3) Can one make custom color profiles inside Resolve 11?  I would be happy to make some custom color presets inside Resolve 11 if it lets you color-pick individual colors of a color chart and adjust.  The Adobe DNG profiler software is awesome for dialing in color and adding as a preset in ACR.

Thanks for your help.  I will probably download and install it anyway!!

budafilms

Quote from: Bassman2003 on June 29, 2014, 04:38:09 PM
Wow, this is really an amazing program.  I have a few questions if anybody knows the answers:

1) You have to use a software to convert RAW or MLV to DNG files. Example: Son of Batch, MLV Mystic.

2) No lens correction in DaVinci. You can save Stills with Command 1 (OSX). Or power grade with all the settings you want.

3) Check answer 2, in Color Section.

Bassman2003

Thanks.  So after I convert to normal DNG's (not cinema DNGs) they are good to go?  Would you consider opening a DNG file in Resolve 11 equal to opening in ACR when it is comes to adjusting the RAW settings?  In other words, does Resolve 11 act like (or is as good as) a RAW editor like ACR?

Thanks.

Sganzerla

I want to learn how to use Resolve but someone needs to confirm that it is possible to have the same quality I can get from Photoshop's ACR before I spend time on it.

Here is something from Resolve:

Here is something from ACR

Here is the DNG for download:
https://copy.com/MN0LTeLigD3U

I think from the small pictures above is already possible to see that Resolve is noisier, have crap colors and can't really compete with Adobe Engine at any level.
But I might be doing something wrong, that's why I have put a link of the DNG to download. If someone can get better image simply using the Target tool, please let us know.

baldavenger

I had a crack.

Nothing too taxing.  Similar flexibility to that of ACR in my opinion.

EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

Sganzerla

Looks good, baldavenger, but I need to know how did you get this.
With ACR it was a matter of simply using a one click at the grey patch. The same thing* with Resolve results in the image I posted earlier. If there is something that would put the image in a more "neutral" look as I can get with ACR, without too much effort, I'd appreciate.

*almost, as one needs to place the points in the target

budafilms

Quote from: Bassman2003 on June 29, 2014, 11:21:44 PM
Thanks.  So after I convert to normal DNG's (not cinema DNGs) they are good to go?  Would you consider opening a DNG file in Resolve 11 equal to opening in ACR when it is comes to adjusting the RAW settings?  In other words, does Resolve 11 act like (or is as good as) a RAW editor like ACR?

Thanks.

You should try with the software. When you open DaVinci, and go to the folder where DNG are, you can watch like a video.
Try, it's amazing.

Bassman2003

O.k.  I will wait for the first release instead of beta though.

baldavenger

Quote from: Sganzerla on June 30, 2014, 04:35:40 AM
Looks good, baldavenger, but I need to know how did you get this.
With ACR it was a matter of simply using a one click at the grey patch. The same thing* with Resolve results in the image I posted earlier. If there is something that would put the image in a more "neutral" look as I can get with ACR, without too much effort, I'd appreciate.

*almost, as one needs to place the points in the target

In the preferences I chose the following settings:

In the color tab I stayed in the BMD Film color space and gamma.  The image appeared flat, as you would expect from a log gamma.  The first adjustment in the first node was auto color (alt or option A).  This expands the image tonality so that it now looks more natural and less flat.  In the second node I performed the color match.  This does not fix any color cast though, so that is performed in the third node.  Isolate a neutral area with a power window (middle grey in the color chart), press shift H so that the area is isolated on screen and in the scopes, then use the vector scope to neutral the grey.  Use the temp and tint sliders in the Raw controls for this.  When this is done, remove the power window and the image will be color balanced and any cast removed.  Proceed to use the Raw controls as you would in ACR to finesse the image.

Here are the settings I used:

EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

Danialdaneshmand

Could someone manage a workflow for processing DNG's in this new version?

Sganzerla

Thank you for your explanation, baldavenger!
Will take a look at this workflow to see how effective it can be in my way of working. ;D

QuickHitRecord

This does look pretty slick.

Are spatial and temporal noise reduction available in the Lite version?

Also, I don't suppose that the FilmConvert module can't be used in-program yet, can it?
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

Midphase

Quote from: QuickHitRecord on July 01, 2014, 05:14:29 AM
Are spatial and temporal noise reduction available in the Lite version?

No, otherwise why would they bother having a paid version?

swinxx

Is filmconvert a lut alternative?
It is akso avaikable as ofx and therefore it should work also with davinci resilve 11.

I wonder how the ml raw files should be handled with filmconvert and resolve? In rec709 or in the bmdfilm preset? I have seen that there is a canon ml raw preset for filmconvert, but not found a guide..

I think that tge momentary bottleneck with ml raw is the missing conversion from ml raw dngs to eg bmd or arri or red or any other standard log curve. Without matching those profiles the result will always look strange ( color shifted) with the luts available. 

Visioncolor has a new tool in development which converts different source file logs and convert them to other logs.. I think it is called cam vert. I hope that it will work with ml raw files.

kontrakatze

As far as I see it now, the best way seems to be:
Mlv --> dng --> acr with cinelog lut --> davinci --> cinelog to rec 709 lut --> filmconvert plugin from within resolve with arri alexa r709

But you have to pull the sliders for film color and curve down to something about 50%
The grain I usually take out completely as I don't like it - gorilla grain is much nicer in the end.

In my opinion FilmConvert works only if you just use it a tiny little bit, but than it can put in some magic.

kgv5

ACR is so slow, you can just try cinelog for resolve, it has LUTs for ML raw and BMDfilm profile.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

togg

Quote from: QuickHitRecord on July 01, 2014, 05:14:29 AM

Also, I don't suppose that the FilmConvert module can't be used in-program yet, can it?

It can :)

QuickHitRecord

Quote from: swinxx on July 01, 2014, 08:29:13 AM
I wonder how the ml raw files should be handled with filmconvert and resolve? In rec709 or in the bmdfilm preset? I have seen that there is a canon ml raw preset for filmconvert, but not found a guide..

I contacted FilmConvert the other day with this very question. It seems that the ML Raw setting is designed for handling files processed in ACR only: http://www.filmconvert.com/Help/Default.aspx?help_id=62
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

flavediller

I just cut and edited this piece on Davinci Resolve 11 the other day. First time working with it. Had a bunch of crashes and random issues, but thats what you can expect from a beta release.
In the end though I was able to get everything I needed out of the program.

baldavenger

Lovely stuff.  Could you describe your workflow in Davinci 11, as in your settings and general approach?

Cheers bud.