NEW DAVINCI RESOLVE 11. COLOR + EDITING TOOLS.

Started by budafilms, April 08, 2014, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemabaris

Quote from: togg on June 24, 2014, 02:10:41 PM
Have you tried "reset UI Layout" under "View" in Resolve ?

yeah... not working though :(

Danne

Go to View - show window frame - press the green mac + icon on top left corner.

jemabaris

Quote from: Danne on June 24, 2014, 08:25:25 PM
Go to View - show window frame - press the green mac + icon on top left corner.

awesome, that worked :D thank you sir!

reddeercity

The new Resolve 11  feel like working in FCPX, I can't believe it! but with much more  8)
It only took about 15min from installing to understanding the GUI, importing and start editing, Just like fcpx its very fast and flexible.
I see elements from all different NLE in there , look like there took the best features and added them to resolve.
The best part I like is the new camera raw adjustments ,very nice  :)
And so far everything seem to work right out of the box .

Midphase

Got into a massive argument today with a friend editor. He doesn't see the advantage of giving Resolve a try, while to me it's as clear as day. The ability to have NLE and final grading under the same app is amazing. I think he's missing out.

reddeercity

I think so, The only other software that's Better right now is Autodesk Smoke for Mac and it's the same way
a Super App ! But with it's drawbacks, Mainly support for Cdng/DNG is not there or I would be hip deep in Smoke without a question.
I'm a very big fanboy of FCPX, but what I see in resolve 11 and the fact I work with raw, really there is not other choice.
For some of us we no longer just edit of grade, we need a app that can do it All.
It never hurts to have lots of tools to work with, I will still use FCPX but as long as I film in ML Raw I think resolve will be my main choice or with the Roundtrip with fcpx.
Days of fighting with Cdng/DNG workflow is coming to a end I think. 

swinxx

resolve 11 is hands down my fav app.. the possibility to handle raw data is tremendous. i wish they would support canon ml raw, but they - of course - only support their bmc raw. however it is possible to work with bmd film log and with some adjustments it works really great, also with luts.. the best luts for me are those kodak 2393 and fujifilm luts..
they are also free and you can find them here:
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2503-Kodak-and-Fujifilm-Emulation-LUTs&s=42fe5763d74d871b7bbd52f9638edbb3
some tweaks and they look awesome,
the onle thing which is indeed a missing part of davinci lite is a noise reduction tool, but with ofx support you can really simply add neat video for ofx. it is not free but the best tool so far.
somewhere i have read that alex is also working on a noise reduction algo, but i may have misunderstood that.

however. resolve 11 is big! and free! and therefore my go to app.

my 2 cents.
sw

budafilms

Great! Downloading and be testing this days!!!! :D

I'm interesting in noise reduction, any information about A1ex algorithm?

baldavenger

This really is a game changer.  The added RAW controls and the Color Match options (using ColorChecker Cards) mean I can finally normalise a clip with confidence and proceed to grade creatively.  No more lingering doubts or loss of information due to time consuming conversion processes.

I'm probably going to do my editing in Resolve now as well, and only send footage out to After Effects or Nuke for VFX shots.

A great development for Magic Lantern users.

EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

togg

How much sharpening do you use in the raw panel? mmm

baldavenger

It depends.  The Midtone Detail option is great, and unlike working in ACR (using the clarity slider) you can see the effect properly and conveniently quickly.

The temptation is always to rack up the sharpening, but it is better to err on the side of moderation.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

swinxx

whow.. davinci is so slick and fast. love it!

kgv5

Quote from: togg on June 26, 2014, 08:04:53 PM
How much sharpening do you use in the raw panel? mmm

I think 50-60 should be the maximum for 5d3 1080p footage according to my tests. With more youre starting to get visible aliasing on some egdes, 50-60 gives nice, sharp, almost 4k look to me ;)
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

togg

Quote from: baldavenger on June 26, 2014, 08:58:13 PM
It depends.  The Midtone Detail option is great, and unlike working in ACR (using the clarity slider) you can see the effect properly and conveniently quickly.

The temptation is always to rack up the sharpening, but it is better to err on the side of moderation.

I'm not really a sharpen-lover, I like soft details and I know that my tool cannot give too much. I've noticed that midtone stuff, impressing, I will probably use it a little bit.

Quote from: swinxx on June 26, 2014, 09:44:36 PM
whow.. davinci is so slick and fast. love it!

true that, It's beautiful to be able to edit in real time without proxies.

Quote from: kgv5 on June 26, 2014, 10:21:35 PM
I think 50-60 should be the maximum for 5d3 1080p footage according to my tests. With more youre starting to get visible aliasing on some egdes, 50-60 gives nice, sharp, almost 4k look to me ;)

I will keep around 25 and push a little bit the midtone slider I suppose, keep it soft :))

glubber

It's great that Resolve 11 is supporting  AMD GPUs now.
It's even running on my low budget machine (i3/ Radeon HD 5450 with 512 MB RAM).
Not fast... but it's running :D
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

budafilms

swinxx

I have bought a x-rite colorchecker passport cause the color match frature seems great. This should simplify the workflow for the primary grade..
Will test it soon.

kontrakatze

I did exactly that and it works like a charm (colorchecker passport), but be aware to choose an appropriate target temerature. Otherwise some very moody candle light scences would look very strange  ;)

swinxx

what do you mean by appropriate target? can you explain your workflow please? thx

budafilms

I don´t have colour card, I will try to get one.
I did my old style.

Ideas or experiences are very welcome:

a) I put BMD and start to modify kelvins, tint, exposure.
b) I don´t understand the colour boost, I get more noise in the black shadows.
c) I touch the saturate a little.
d) Add 20 % sharpens and 10% mid tones details.
e) I have some problems with MLV sound, it´s shorter than my video timeline. I made a compound clip to cut the entire video when I edit, after. So I get some primary correction with sound ready.
f) After that secondary correction with videoscopes and wheels trying to raise to 0 blacks.
e) Export including audio.

We can share our experiences to get the best settings for work with ML in DA VINCI  ;D

swinxx

great idea. i am just reading the manual - its more than 800 pages... but i think its very useful to understand all the features. so i have no workflow til now..
@budafilms - which program have you used to convert to dng?? try rawmagic - i will check if my audio files are from a different size later

greets

budafilms

Quote from: swinxx on June 28, 2014, 10:58:26 AM
great idea. i am just reading the manual - its more than 800 pages... but i think its very useful to understand all the features. so i have no workflow til now..
@budafilms - which program have you used to convert to dng?? try rawmagic - i will check if my audio files are from a different size later

greets

There´s are 2 videos: EDITING and COLOR
Watch carefully using pause and checking with your DaVinci, it´s a short cut to learn all that manual ;)
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

I used Son of Batch, tomorrow I´ll try with MLV Mystic. I understand that the good version of RAWMAGIC it´s not free.

kontrakatze

In fact, it is quite simple.

1. Shoot something with the colorchart clearly visible
2. import into Davinci Resolve
3. on the color pane move to the preview window and choose "color chart" as a tool
4. drag, move, scale it to fit your recorded colorchart so that all squares are clearly within the squares of your recorded colorchart
5. on the color pane bottom left you can see the Color Match
6. set gamma and target color space to your needs
7. DON'T forget to adjust the Target Color Temp to fit your needs, otherwise you might get strange results
8. klick the button "Match"
9. Be happy...

The adjustments (highlights and so on) are quite useful, the Color Boost I always have pull down quite a bit.

budafilms

Quote from: kontrakatze on June 28, 2014, 11:10:46 AM
In fact, it is quite simple.

1. Shoot something with the colorchart clearly visible
2. import into Davinci Resolve
3. on the color pane move to the preview window and choose "color chart" as a tool
4. drag, move, scale it to fit your recorded colorchart so that all squares are clearly within the squares of your recorded colorchart
5. on the color pane bottom left you can see the Color Match
6. set gamma and target color space to your needs
7. DON'T forget to adjust the Target Color Temp to fit your needs, otherwise you might get strange results
8. klick the button "Match"
9. Be happy...

The adjustments (highlights and so on) are quite useful, the Color Boost I always have pull down quite a bit.

Great.
What do you understand of Color Boost, it´s a kind of saturation? I am testing and I decide not used that function.