NEW DAVINCI RESOLVE 11. COLOR + EDITING TOOLS.

Started by budafilms, April 08, 2014, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

kgv5

I have high hopes for their new highlight/shadow recovery tool, maybe now it will be comparable with ACR in this matter, we will see.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ADJ

I see 10.1.4 was made available yesterday but version 11 isn't downloadable just yet. It was reported that it will be available as a download in June.

The main features are summarised here. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

togg

This is *great*, I really want to see those improvement.

Midphase

Just got back from NAB. Resolve 11 is probably the most exciting thing I saw there (ok, actually Nuke Studio is, but it's crazy expensive and won't be out for a while).

I think Blackmagic is really listening to the user base and adding some amazing features to their software (did I mention it's FREE????).

The new raw settings are a bit more comprehensive than before. Not quite in the same league as ACR, but we get more controls than before for various levels and it should be plenty to get a "Best Look" pass before hitting the color wheels. Black, Mid and Highlight levels are included, but not for instance things like "Clarity" or "Vibrance" that Adobe seems to provide.

Hopefully a public beta means the update will be out sooner rather than later.

budafilms

Quote from: Midphase on April 11, 2014, 07:53:10 AM
Just got back from NAB. Resolve 11 is probably the most exciting thing I saw there (ok, actually Nuke Studio is, but it's crazy expensive and won't be out for a while).

I think Blackmagic is really listening to the user base and adding some amazing features to their software (did I mention it's FREE????).

The new raw settings are a bit more comprehensive than before. Not quite in the same league as ACR, but we get more controls than before for various levels and it should be plenty to get a "Best Look" pass before hitting the color wheels. Black, Mid and Highlight levels are included, but not for instance things like "Clarity" or "Vibrance" that Adobe seems to provide.

Hopefully a public beta means the update will be out sooner rather than later.

Midphase, great news!
Do you know a guide for use ACR in a professional mode?
I was checking youtube and only find guides for photos, but i think its not the same because in video some things like blacks are very different.
If not, should be a very good idea to create a video - I have to learn, of course.

Midphase

Quote from: budafilms on April 21, 2014, 08:40:18 AM

I don't know of a guide but there's plenty of info to be found around here. The main issue with ACR is that if you're going to use it in Aftereffects, the render times are way too long, especially if you're working on a lot of footage. Until Premiere Pro supports both CDNG playback with full ACR control I'm afraid it's way too slow of a workflow.

budafilms

Quote from: Midphase on April 21, 2014, 09:09:32 AM
I don't know of a guide but there's plenty of info to be found around here. The main issue with ACR is that if you're going to use it in Aftereffects, the render times are way too long, especially if you're working on a lot of footage. Until Premiere Pro supports both CDNG playback with full ACR control I'm afraid it's way too slow of a workflow.

Yes, I know that.
Even working with DaVinci ti's better for the round trip. If you want to " touch" again the DNG, you are not loosing conversion.
In ACR, when you have the Tiff, you have to start again.

ultimatemale

Quote from: budafilms on April 21, 2014, 08:40:18 AM
Midphase, great news!
I was checking youtube and only find guides for photos, but i think its not the same because in video some things like blacks are very different.
If not, should be a very good idea to create a video - I have to learn, of course.

Thejungle

Midphase

Any day now!

My best guess is that they will try to crap on Adobe's parade on the 18th by releasing Resolve 11 on the same day!

actingnurse

I sure hope so... because... well.. today's the 18th :)

I'm stoked... hopefully this will eliminate the need for all of the roundtripping to premiere or avid... I can import my DNGs, edit, grade, export... right? no quality loss or anything?

baldavenger

Fingers crossed.  Hopefully there'll be some sort of acknowledgement of the existence of ML Raw.  The colorchecker balance option should be a great help too.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

budafilms

Someone has the 11 version?
I don't have my desktop to try.

reddeercity

I read on Creative Cows it's a Public Beta, and expected at the end of this month.

Midphase

Any day now guys. Blackmagic assured me that this wouldn't be a June 30th at 11:59pm release.

swinxx

but i was told some days ago that it will be "released in the summer" which also could be july, august.. :(
i am waiting hard. it will outshine premiere pro, cause it is so fast.. also with cdng files.. and the tracker is one of the best and fastest in the world..

Midphase

Quote from: swinxx on June 19, 2014, 12:07:28 PM
but i was told some days ago that it will be "released in the summer" which also could be july, august.. :(
i am waiting hard. it will outshine premiere pro, cause it is so fast.. also with cdng files.. and the tracker is one of the best and fastest in the world..

Well, the public beta is supposed to be out any day, and my guess is that it will be solid enough to work quite well. It's possible that the "official" release will follow in a couple of months.

swinxx

budafilms

Could be the end of lovely FINAL CUT, for free!  ;D
In my case get the DaVinci with tools with 5d3 connected by HDMI with ML MENU in the viewfinder it's everything I need for 4 years. No more.

A1ex I believe in you!

jemabaris

I experience some pretty weird stuff with resolve 11. i am running it on a macbook pro late 2013 15". the first time when i started it up the bar at the bottom, where i can select the different tabs (media edit color deliver), was missing. I then tried different monitor resolutions from the system settings and they came back but then the color tab was completely off. anyone else experiencing this?

togg

Quote from: jemabaris on June 24, 2014, 01:22:08 PM
I experience some pretty weird stuff with resolve 11. i am running it on a macbook pro late 2013 15". the first time when i started it up the bar at the bottom, where i can select the different tabs (media edit color deliver), was missing. I then tried different monitor resolutions from the system settings and they came back but then the color tab was completely off. anyone else experiencing this?

Have you tried "reset UI Layout" under "View" in Resolve ?

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

togg

Quote from: Jakobmen on June 24, 2014, 02:14:57 PM
anyone have the direct link for windows?

here, http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/beta/DaVinci_Resolve_Lite_11.0b1_Windows.zip

Anyway with the new ImpulZ from VisionColor this is marvellous. I'm only experiencing a few kernel panic/crash in mac os X 10.9 but I suppose that a CUDA update will fix this.