two fashion clips shot in 5D3 RAW

Started by mauerfuchs, April 07, 2014, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauerfuchs

These two Fashion Clips were both shot with the help of Magic Lanterns RAW function.
Edited in Premiere and graded in After Effects 5.5
It was a university semester project in cooperation with a european fashion design award of last weekend.
The clips had to be not longer then 1:20min including credits. We had no budget, only sponsorings.
The second clip contains 50fps 1920p shots in the second half of the clip. I felt these have a more videoish look then the others, after stretching the shot image back to 2.35.
The fashion designers are Mathilde Maalouf

and Ilona Hackenberg

hope you enjoy.

PS:
if you are interestred and like to see how we did it, there are some making of pictures to both clips on: http://mauerfuchs.de/?page_id=101

Canon eos m

Awesome video. Will visit your blog today to learn more on how to do similar stuff in my projects.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

chmee

@mauerfuchs like the style. great work. could you give some insight into your stuff/settings? on the pictures i've seen, you're working on very short distances. did you recorded in nocrop-mode? what lenses did you used?

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

mauerfuchs

@chmee
thank you, i used the 24mm T1.5 Samyang and the old Nikkor AI 50mm f1,4 most of the time. I really love these lenses. They are the most frequented in my lens kit. I used the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 in the "Home" clip aswell. But its getting very soft and distorted in the corners. And i did not record in crop mode, because i don't like it filming nearly blind.
I used MLV for recording "Home" but had problems with droped frames. So i decided to shoot the second clip in regular RAW again.

@canon eos m
thats nice, most of it is in german, but i hope most of the fotos are international ;)

core_32

nikki

Quote from: mauerfuchs on April 07, 2014, 12:34:12 PM
These two Fashion Clips were both shot with the help of Magic Lanterns RAW function.
Edited in Premiere and graded in After Effects 5.5
It was a university semester project in cooperation with a european fashion design award of last weekend.
The clips had to be not longer then 1:20min including credits. We had no budget, only sponsorings.
The second clip contains 50fps 1920p shots in the second half of the clip. I felt these have a more videoish look then the others, after stretching the shot image back to 2.35.
The fashion designers are Mathilde Maalouf

and Ilona Hackenberg

hope you enjoy.

PS:
if you are interestred and like to see how we did it, there are some making of pictures to both clips on: http://mauerfuchs.de/?page_id=101

i'm going to be doing a fashion show...and it will be in black and white....do you think raw helps with black and white video or is it really only for  color where you need a lot of correction??

(also I want to shoot it in black and white not in color and correct in post)

chmee

why do you wanna limit yourself? recording in color gives much much more versatility (while converting to b&w)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

mauerfuchs

Quote from: nikki on April 10, 2014, 08:35:21 PM
i'm going to be doing a fashion show...and it will be in black and white....do you think raw helps with black and white video or is it really only for  color where you need a lot of correction??

(also I want to shoot it in black and white not in color and correct in post)

good question. i never shoot in real bw before. but i think if you record in raw you also get more steps in tones, if grey or color. You got a much better picture out of raw files of the 5d then out of h264. but shooting a fashion show sounds very storage intense. think about what it's worth.