5DM3 - stable 1920x1250 (30fps) + Sound (just to synch) + External Monitor

Started by ch_d, April 05, 2014, 05:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch_d

Hello.

I shot a lot of footage on my 5DM2 RAW with my Iscorama Anamorphot 1.5x. Mostly (cause of the CF limitation) like 10sec clips.
Next week i have a shooting where i need continuous 1920x1250 on 30fps. (i don´t need all the 1920 - so about 1750 would do it too)
So i will shoot with the 5DM3. Can you give me a hint / links where i can find the best / stable version for the 5DM3 on 30fps with sound (low quality is enough, just for synching), please.
And stability on an external HDMI monitor.
And what Canon firmware do i need on the 5DM3?

Thank you,
ch_d
5D MII

arturochu

Quote from: ch_d on April 05, 2014, 05:39:58 PM
Hello.

I shot a lot of footage on my 5DM2 RAW with my Iscorama Anamorphot 1.5x. Mostly (cause of the CF limitation) like 10sec clips.
Next week i have a shooting where i need continuous 1920x1250 on 30fps. (i don´t need all the 1920 - so about 1750 would do it too)
So i will shoot with the 5DM3. Can you give me a hint / links where i can find the best / stable version for the 5DM3 on 30fps with sound (low quality is enough, just for synching), please.
And stability on an external HDMI monitor.
And what Canon firmware do i need on the 5DM3?

Thank you,
ch_d

Really? Common, you can do better than that.  ;)
Chu

rainless

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017

Both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 are supported.

Last time I checked the 1.1.3  had slightly more support, but to disable bootflag you'd need to go up to 1.2.3 anyway. So it's your call there. As for "which version" you can just try the nightlies since there's a new version out everyday. But I would try something recent because there was a problem with the "black level" on the 5D3 a couple of weeks ago.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

tjaja

Thats a no no, 1080p 30fps is already difficult and not continuous.
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

rainless

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Midphase

Quote from: rainless on April 09, 2014, 06:52:14 PM
And 24fps?

I can do continuous 1920x1288 at 24 on my 5D3 while shooting in .raw. In .mlv I need to decrease the vertical res a bit, especially when also shooting with sound.

Aside from the usual "use a fast CF card" tip, my other trick is to absolutely only load the modules needed and nothing more. For .raw recording that is literally 1 module RAW_REC and nothing else.

Steven

@Midphase
What card exactly are you using? Are you on 1.1.3 oder 1.2.3?

@ch_d
I would stick with firmware 1.1.3 if you are ok with the slightly windowed 720p HDMI output (I personally have no experience using raw video and hdmi monitoring on the old 1.1.3 firmware, on 1.2.3 it worked fine...).
It is for now the more stable platform if you want to max out the write performance (I doubt you will reach continuous recording at 1920x1250@30fps).
And raw rec is more stable than mlv, so if it is not absolutely necessary, better find another solution
to sync sound in post.
If you really need 30fps, raw and 3:2 aspect, better settle for less resolution. It is still plenty of detail and will upscale nicely...
Using the HDMI for monitoring also might decrease write performance.

ch_d

Quote from: Steven on April 09, 2014, 08:37:21 PM
@Midphase

@ch_d
I would stick with firmware 1.1.3 if you are ok with the slightly windowed 720p HDMI output (I personally have no experience using raw video and hdmi monitoring on the old 1.1.3 firmware, on 1.2.3 it worked fine...).
It is for now the more stable platform if you want to max out the write performance (I doubt you will reach continuous recording at 1920x1250@30fps).
And raw rec is more stable than mlv, so if it is not absolutely necessary, better find another solution
to sync sound in post.
If you really need 30fps, raw and 3:2 aspect, better settle for less resolution. It is still plenty of detail and will upscale nicely...
Using the HDMI for monitoring also might decrease write performance.

Oh yeah!
This sounds really great. Could you tell me which build you are using with 1.2.3?
You said HDMI out works fine on 1.2.3: This is what i really need for the directors monitor.
I don´t really need continuous recording - 15-20 seconds will do it (it´s a music video shooting) - i can still lower the resolution.
And i want to use RAW rec because this is a more comfortable workflow for me.

Thank you for your help!

5D MII

Midphase

Quote from: Steven on April 09, 2014, 08:37:21 PM
@Midphase

I'm on 1.1.3. I have 4 Komputerbay 64Gb 1000X CF cards which test slightly differently but are all in the general ballpark. 1920X1288 at 24p is roughly 99Mb/Sec so the card needs to keep up with that data write speed. On all my cards I can shoot at least two minutes at that resolution without problems (GD is off).

I'm a bit on the fence about moving to the 1.2.3 firmware with ML if there aren't any specific advantaged to doing so; and from what I can tell, 1.2.3 doesn't appear to give me any new function that 1.1.3 doesn't already have with ML.