Beauty of Africa | Kenya | 5D Mark II | RAW

Started by Veerle, April 05, 2014, 11:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ru31jan

Amazing video! Very nice and clear shots. Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing a little bit of your post process in Resolve?

Africashot

ML 5D2 & T3i

rainless

As I said in the other thread you posted... everything in the grass has a yellow tint. This has nothing to do with Color grading... the White Balance is off. So the white of the zebras is yellow, the elephant is yellow, and all the parts of the giraffe that should be brown are yellow.  All you really have to do is using a White Balance tool and click on the White of the zebra... That would fix the whole thing.

Although I suppose you could justify it as getting that "sunset look" (though I think you could still have that and proper White balancing.)
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

ru31jan

Well I'm particularly interested in how you process the RAW files. Do you set them to the BMD Filmspace? And afterwards do you grade from there or do you use a lut to get the contrast back? Many thanks in advance.

BTW that's a very big difference in saturation and colors on the YT version.

rainless

Quote from: Veerle on April 07, 2014, 01:09:44 PM
Thank you for your input. I can see you really want me to know how much this doesn't have to do with Color grading... I did give my footage a slightly more yellow tint because I wanted it to look warmer. But before you start saying things like ''this has nothing to do with color grading'' and ''justify'' please realize that youtube doesn't always tell you the whole 'story'. Youtube added quite a lot of saturation to the video;

And besides that, this is my video, my footage, so I am the one who decides if the to color grading is right or if something is justified. There are no rules, just what people think looks good. If you make a video you can decide. I love to hear people their input but don't state them as facts

Yeah, I get it. "Defensive" is just a thing that happens around here. :)

The color grading thing wasn't pointed at you... that was for me. I posted a thread about Color Grading and started out with some basic color correcting tips and someone said "Oh... you know that's color correcting and not color grading right?"

Yes... I did know that.

So I just wanted to clarify that I was talking about color corrections. It had nothing to do with you.

I guess I was preemptively being defensive.... which caused you to get defensive.

My bad. :)
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

afroxfilm

You've got some very impressive shots in there! I like the closeups very much, nice detail and vibrant look. Every now and again you have a bit of a fast pan which kind of irritated me. But I guess that has also to do with the fact that the youtube quality (although I watched it in 1080 HD) made it look a bit 'shakey'.

Cheers

Steve

rainless

Quote from: afroxfilm on April 09, 2014, 10:48:42 AM
You've got some very impressive shots in there! I like the closeups very much, nice detail and vibrant look. Every now and again you have a bit of a fast pan which kind of irritated me. But I guess that has also to do with the fact that the youtube quality (although I watched it in 1080 HD) made it look a bit 'shakey'.

Cheers

Steve

Yeah it's good to know.  I didn't know about that Youtube "oversaturation" thing.

I won't be uploading any of my RAW stuff to Youtube then if their compression is that stupid. I'll stick to Vimeo (there you can see the video uncompressed.)

reddeercity

As long as you use your Scopes and keep your colors we in (16-236) or 7 IRE of the low end your color will still the same , but be careful of the h264 QT mov bug. This causes a gamma shift down
So it very important to monitor color with scope on and not crush your blacks to much . :)

rainless

Quote from: Veerle on April 24, 2014, 05:42:04 PM
Some of the panning shots are quite fast, but like you said; they do look worse on youtube unfortunately. I also don't know what's up with the saturation.. the youtube version has a lot more saturation then the original one. I never noticed the saturation difference before. I have yet to figure out the best export settings for uploading to youtube..

You can try the suggestion above with the scopes in resolve... but after seeing your video I think I'll avoid Youtube altogether. I never liked their compression to begin with... and with Vimeo around... why even bother with Youtube?

Canon eos m

Awesome music and absolutely loved the shot in the middle where you pan the tree along the grass and the last shot with the boat moving away from the camera leaving a trail in the water. Good show.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)