Corrupt RAW files on CF card, Error 0x800705070 can't copy file

Started by Africashot, April 03, 2014, 06:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

Couldn't find anyone else talking about this in the forum; have some RAW files from an older nightly build and they seem to be so currupt I can't even copy them to my hard drive let alone decode them  in raw2dng, there are only three files but rather relevant to the story and all 1 - 2 gb, is there anyway look into their code and to 'fix' them? (I guess uploading helps but my internet here is very limited thus this far I am looking for ways to fix this without uploading the entire files)
ML 5D2 & T3i

ted ramasola

try using chmee's raw2cdng, it seems to have a better tolerance when i have a corrupt first frame from my file and the raw to dng converters, browse sharp and tonybeccar's windows dng converter and rawanizer can't convert them, the cdng converter always get past the corruption and convert the file, including the corrupt frames.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

mageye

I would suggest that you do a byte for byte copy (or disk image) of your card. This is not taking the contents of the card like when you copy files from A to B. It copies all of the information on the card. So files that you may not be able to 'see' will be copied (if they are still there). It's a good start if you want to recover stuff because then you can actually use hex editors to find file headers.

I am assuming that once the problem happened you didn't write anything more to the card?

I posted a way to recover dng files here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11220.msg109067#msg109067 but you should able to use a similar process to try and recover the RAW, MLV, CR2 (or whatever) file.

If you make an 'image' of your disk (CF/SD card) it will copy the entire contents of that disk, so will take up exactly the same space on your hard disk. Eg. 16GB, 64GB or whatever. It copies everything.

In many situations you will be able to recover all of the information and in other instances you will be able to achieve a partial recovery.

Let me know if you have problems with this; I may be able to help you further.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Africashot

Thanks, I tried raw2cdng but it wouldn't work, now trying magic ISO since I am on Windows, will update on results
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

I also noticed when dropping the files onto raw2cdng it prompts a warning saying the file is corrupt and unreadable and I should run chkdsk utility, what utility is that? thanks again
ML 5D2 & T3i

mageye

Interesting.

The fact that it wants to run chkdisk http://chkdskerrors.com/ suggests (as you have already said) that there is indeed some corruption of the disk. I am not sure how it would work with a CF card but it should be like running it on a normal hard disk.

I'm also not sure if, by default, it is set to try and repair corruption? I think it just checks it? I remember from DOS you have to give it the /f flag to fix. It might be worth trying to just run chkdisk. It might actually repair the disk but change the data and, in doing so, effectively corrupt  the data you are trying to recover. I am not really sure?

Basically, if you are going to run chkdsk on it, I would try to make the disk image backup before doing that. In that case you will still have a perfect copy of the original (with errors). My idea is to work from a backup of a disk then load that into a hex editor and start to analyse what you still have intact. Then you can work out how to get it out.

I am thinking once extracted you could even splice valid file headers in there if you need to. There are a few details that are mentioned in other threads about repairing RAW files and working out the hex values for frame numbers etc.

There's all sorts that can be done, but if you want to make sure it's safe you really could do with a disk image backup! (in my humble opinion anyway).

Anyway I am getting pretty tired ::) now so will be heading to bed pretty soon. If you need some more assistance with this just keep hold of the files and I will try to help you further (if I can of course!) :D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7