ML installation problems on 7D

Started by adamrbradley, April 02, 2014, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamrbradley

So I've got a Canon 7D, and wanted to install ML. Followed the instructions here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7752.0
and everything went fine until I booted up the camera with ML and got two error messages:

"ML/DATA/FONTS.DAT not found"
above the message:
"Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera."

Hm. Weird. Because FONTS.DAT is exactly where it should be: in ML/DATA. So when I hit the trash can icon, ML loads, but the letters are unreadable. Like, they're not even letters, they're just white noise. So I guessed there might be something wrong with the FONTS.DAT file, so I installed the nightly build from here: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

But that build won't work either. And now none of my CF cards are readable by the camera.

The camera isn't completely bricked - if I turn it on without a CF card, I get the usual screen with the "No card" message, and I can access the usual Canon menu. But it won't recognize any of my CF cards, including one that I hadn't touched at all and was working yesterday. So I can't format any of the cards in the camera, because it says "Cannot format. Change card."

I have firmware v2.0.3 installed, and at this point would simply like to try and turn back the clock a few hours so that at least the camera will read my CF cards.

But it's weird - the card with ML installed must be readable, otherwise ML wouldn't install (albeit in a garbled form.) So what gives?

ted ramasola

format your CF cards via your card reader connected to your computer. After formatting that card, insert in back to your camera and do in-camera format.

Do an ML install again. Go back to that link you posted and download an older build, try Mar 27.

What build date did you use?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jyc128

Quote from: adamrbradley on April 02, 2014, 08:43:10 AM
So I've got a Canon 7D, and wanted to install ML. Followed the instructions here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7752.0
and everything went fine until I booted up the camera with ML and got two error messages:

"ML/DATA/FONTS.DAT not found"
above the message:
"Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera."

Hm. Weird. Because FONTS.DAT is exactly where it should be: in ML/DATA. So when I hit the trash can icon, ML loads, but the letters are unreadable. Like, they're not even letters, they're just white noise. So I guessed there might be something wrong with the FONTS.DAT file, so I installed the nightly build from here: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

But that build won't work either. And now none of my CF cards are readable by the camera.

The camera isn't completely bricked - if I turn it on without a CF card, I get the usual screen with the "No card" message, and I can access the usual Canon menu. But it won't recognize any of my CF cards, including one that I hadn't touched at all and was working yesterday. So I can't format any of the cards in the camera, because it says "Cannot format. Change card."

I have firmware v2.0.3 installed, and at this point would simply like to try and turn back the clock a few hours so that at least the camera will read my CF cards.

But it's weird - the card with ML installed must be readable, otherwise ML wouldn't install (albeit in a garbled form.) So what gives?

Any updates with your camera ?, were you able to get it to work properly  ? I have a 7d and wanted to try the ML but, after reading this I'm sort  of doubting it .
Thank you! .

Pelican

Quote from: jyc128 on June 25, 2014, 06:41:33 AM
I have a 7d and wanted to try the ML but, after reading this I'm sort  of doubting it .
Thank you! .
If you have any doubt -> don't install ML.
Listen to your feelings!
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

agervacio1

hi I'm having the same problems please help !!

Walter Schulz

What problem? Not sure if you should risk your cam or not?
Sorry, this decision up to you.

agervacio1

i already tried to install ML to my 7D and now I'm having the same issue as the first post, it won't read my CF cards anymore. I'm trying to see if I can restore the actual firmware on the 7D to factory but no luck

Walter Schulz

Have you tried the solution offered in first reply?

agervacio1

Im using a Cf adapter, SD to CF, so how would I format my SD card

Walter Schulz

Any way you like.
And SD-to-CF adapters are known for compatibility problems. Get rid of it.

agervacio1

it was working fine i just got it today in mail used it for a couple of pictures than tried installing ML

Walter Schulz

Again: All SD-to-CF adapters I know/heard of are not worth a dime. Performance is crap and compatibility, too.

agervacio1

so i fixed it apparently when i tried installing magic lantern the second time it didnt want to work unless i took of the CF card adapter, the problem was that it fried the SD to CF adapter and didnt want to read it at all. Got a hand on a actual CF card and it works so it was just a minor bug, no longer gonna risk and installing magic lantern again

Ottoga

So now that you have a proper cf card why not give it a go?
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

agervacio1

dont wanna risk it and go through the same scare of losing my 7D

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109