5D Mark II - Bricked but creates LOG's (included)

Started by ruttiebar, May 29, 2015, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruttiebar

Hi Guys,

I was on holiday recently. Took my 5D mark II with me for taking photos.

The first day I turned it on, everything was fine. Then switched off 'global draw' since I was only shooting stills and don't needed ML at this time.
A few seconds after that the camera display went black. And since that time I am not able to turn it on anymore.

- When I set the switch to 'on', the red led blinks a few times. Sometimes brighter than the other time.
- The display lighting turns on very dimmed but nothing is displayed. If I look closely I can only see a strange pattern grid with lines.
- When I press the shutter I can hear the shutter move, and after that I can hear a bleep. The red LED stays on for a few seconds.
- The camera seems to respond to some buttons such as info, menu, mode dial etc. I know this because it turns the display illumination on and off
- The upper lcd doesn't work
- Using a clean card seems to affect the boot process but still the camera is unusable and shows similar issues as written above.
- EOS utility and Remote shooting recognizes the camera and settings. I can control all settings in remote shooting and release shutter.

I have no clue what to do now. Is this a software issue? If so, can I reset the camera and/or ml installation?

The camera does create LOG files on the CF card, which I included for you guys.

Any help is appreciated!

LOG File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lv36gb1ridn6r7/log066.log?dl=0

dmilligan

kitor

Quote1604: 54362.854 [MC] Disp Error : 70
Look for ERR70 on this forums. Probably some prop was set wrong. I think you will probably need to wait for A1ex for help.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

dmilligan

Quote from: kitor on May 30, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
Look for ERR70 on this forums. Probably some prop was set wrong.
No, this sounds quite different.

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

kitor

Quote from: dmilligan on May 30, 2015, 05:15:35 PM
No, this sounds quite different.

Yep, but check log OP attached, there's definitely ERR70.

@ruttiebar - can you check on external HDMI display/analog one? Have you tried booting camera on each dial mode?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

ruttiebar

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying! Appreciate it.

I did the display test, without succes.
Also, I checked the HDMI and analog out, without succes as well.

Is the LOG file of any help?

Thanks!

a1ex

ruttiebar

Quote from: a1ex on May 30, 2015, 09:59:55 PM
What was the exact result?

I copied and replaced the provided 'autoexec.bin' to the root of the CF card. Then inserted the card in the camera and set the switch to 'on'. The screen backlit went on but now the camera isn't responding anything. Whenever I replace the autoexec.bin with the original the camera shows the behavior as I described above.

Thanks for helping me out :)

a1ex

I'm afraid the display circuit might be in trouble. The backlight turns on (it's just a LED), but either the LCD itself or the display driver appears to be faulty.

However, this appears not to be the only problem. Relevant lines from the log:

118:   115.603 [PROPAD] ERROR GetPropertyData ID = 0x010100A5
119:   115.684 [PROPAD] ERROR GetPropertyData ID = 0x010100A6

1511: 54243.424 [CAPD] ERROR Image Power Failure

1539: 54248.702 [STARTUP] startupErrorRequestChangeCBR (0x82218001)
1540: 54248.778 [STARTUP] startupErrorRequestChangeCBR : ErrorSend (120, SHUTDOWN)

1580: 54329.894 [SHTC] ERROR ERROR scsEventDispatch Current=8,dwEventID=12,dwParam=0x0

I can try to investigate those errors in QEMU, but I'm not confident I'll find anything useful.

What's strange is that I couldn't find property 0x010100A5/A6 in my 5D2 ROM and property logs (I could only find A2,A3 and A4).

I'd like two sets of ROM dumps (send them to me by PM):
- a ROM dump before the error appeared (you should be able to find one under ML/LOGS if you didn't format the card yet, or maybe on some older cards; no big deal if you no longer have it, but if you have it, it's nice to have)
- a ROM dump after the error (it should appear under ML/LOGS when you boot from a fresh ML card), so I can try to run it under QEMU.

ruttiebar

Quote from: a1ex on June 01, 2015, 03:58:36 PM
I'm afraid the display circuit might be in trouble. The backlight turns on (it's just a LED), but either the LCD itself or the display driver appears to be faulty.

However, this appears not to be the only problem. Relevant lines from the log:

118:   115.603 [PROPAD] ERROR GetPropertyData ID = 0x010100A5
119:   115.684 [PROPAD] ERROR GetPropertyData ID = 0x010100A6

1511: 54243.424 [CAPD] ERROR Image Power Failure

1539: 54248.702 [STARTUP] startupErrorRequestChangeCBR (0x82218001)
1540: 54248.778 [STARTUP] startupErrorRequestChangeCBR : ErrorSend (120, SHUTDOWN)

1580: 54329.894 [SHTC] ERROR ERROR scsEventDispatch Current=8,dwEventID=12,dwParam=0x0

I can try to investigate those errors in QEMU, but I'm not confident I'll find anything useful.

What's strange is that I couldn't find property 0x010100A5/A6 in my 5D2 ROM and property logs (I could only find A2,A3 and A4).

I'd like two sets of ROM dumps (send them to me by PM):
- a ROM dump before the error appeared (you should be able to find one under ML/LOGS if you didn't format the card yet, or maybe on some older cards; no big deal if you no longer have it, but if you have it, it's nice to have)
- a ROM dump after the error (it should appear under ML/LOGS when you boot from a fresh ML card), so I can try to run it under QEMU.

Thanks! I will send them to you!

ruttiebar

Hi guys, my 5D is still an unusable brick.. Should I send it to the canon repair centre?

Haven't had a reply from a1ex, and since he's an expert, this probably means that it's just very hard or unable to fix.

How are your experiences with canon repairs and the costs?

a1ex

Sorry, didn't manage to look at it yet.

Since the display test didn't work, I'd say you should send it, as it's very likely a hardware failure. I'll keep the ROM for further research.

ruttiebar

No problem, thanks for taking the effort to help.

What can I expect to be the costs of the repair? And is it worth it?

surf-360.de

Hello together i'am new here and first i woul'd say Hello at first to all here in this Great Forum :-) and i hope that i posted at the right Place / Topic

So here my Problem with Error 70:

Since i put my wrong ML Card from my Eos 7D (magiclantern-Nightly.2015May03.7D203) in my 5D MarkII, there was a ML Warning Screen: this Screen told me the Camera doesn't look like a Eos 7D :-( after starting the 5DII again with the right Card (magiclantern-Nightly.2015May03.5D2212), i directly get an error 70 when taking a picture :-( when i take the next picture the Camera works normally (without removing the battery), i thought i can fix the error uninstalling ML, i uninstalled it (also removed the bootflag) after that i had still the Problem. so i tried to flash the original Canon Firmware again (2.1.2) but this Firmware brings "Update File Error" and stops flashing at 99% i formated the CF Card in the Canon 5D so i think no Problem with the CF Card Filesystem, i also tried two other Cards, i also tried to Flash all other old Original Canon Firmwares down to Version 1.2.4 they all bring the same error. the only way to bring the Camera back to work is Flashing 1.1.0 and 1.0.7 Firmware from Canon but the Error 70 is still there, i also tried the things with deleting the C Settings and boot in CA mode (like desribed in the Forum) and also tried to send this commands to the 5dII with G-Photo2 under Win 7: gphoto2 --set-config /main/imgsettings/imageformat=0  and
gphoto2 --set-config /main/imgsettings/imageformatsd=0, but the second command gets not executed, i also removed the small Lithium Battery over night, but i think ist only for saving the date!?

Here also the log:  http://surf360.de/log000.log
from the last time the cam was in use with Canon Firmware 2.1.2 and magiclantern-Nightly.2015May03

So if there is any idea please let me know, that would be fine :-)

best regards Chris from Germany

a1ex

I don't think the wrong ML card caused the issue, most likely just a coincidence. The code that displays the error is portable (runs on all cameras), and it's the one from here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14732

The log looks ugly though.

What's the current status? If you are on either 1.1.0 or 1.0.7, you can start the camera, you can browse Canon menu, but you get err70 when you take a picture, correct? Can you enter LiveView?

What do you mean by "when i take the next picture the Camera works normally (without removing the battery)" ? (I'm confused because once you take a picture and get err70, you can't take a second one without rebooting the camera)

What do you mean by "this Firmware brings "Update File Error" and stops flashing at 99%" ? (once it shows "Update File Error", it can no longer display a percentage)

This issue has nothing to do with picture quality, so no need to try gphoto2.

surf-360.de

The Current Status is that i'm on Firmware 1.1.0 when i start the Camera is working completely fine, all Canon menus are accesible, also liveview works, only i'm getting Error 70 with this Message: (Shooting is not possible due to an error. Turn the camera off and on again or re-install the battery.) most of the time Error 70 happens with the first shot after switching the camera on, but "i don't Need to remove the Battery", i can take the next Picture, after the error happened, i can take a lot of Pictures after the error and the error never happens again. (it happens only again after switching cam on and off).

Maybe the Log Looks ugly because the Log is generated from the 7D ML Card that i put in the 5D MarkII :-( ?

Details on Firmware update: All Versions from 1.2.4 to 2.1.2 start to write the the Firmware but after the statusbar reachs 99% it stops fast and the following Error Message appears: update file error. please check the memory card and reload the battery. i tried this several times, Verion 1.1.0 and 1.0.7 always are succesful other Versions are stopping at 99% of the writing process

I also thought maybe coincidence, maybe the internal Flashmemory of the Camera has an error... all Firmware Versions higher than 1.1.0 are a Little bit bigger (nearly 9500kb) an they all fail, Firmware 1.1.0 and 1.0.7 is nearly 9300kb maybe the upper adress area of the internal Flash exactly in this place where the last 200kb are written is damaged!?

I also tried today something that interesting to know: when there is no CF Card in the Camera it seems that Error 70 is not happening when taking a Picture, tried it also several times. i know error 70 has to do something with Saving Images to the CF Card or with the CF-Card Slot but there are no bent Pins or something else, and also strange that it happens only with the first shot after switching on the camera.

i thougt the gphoto commands are for reseting the Cameras NVRAM, maybe i misunterstood something.

a1ex

Quoteafter the error happened, i can take a lot of Pictures after the error and the error never happens again

This behavior is really strange, I never encountered it.

QuoteMaybe the Log Looks ugly because the Log is generated from the 7D ML Card that i put in the 5D MarkII :-( ?

No, that's impossible - since you got the message "Camera doesn't look like a Eos 7D", that code does not do anything else (it doesn't even start the main firmware, which creates such log).

Quotei know error 70 has to do something with Saving Images to the CF Card

There are more than 1000 error conditions that appear as ERR70. In most cases, ML is able to catch the error and save a CRASHnn.LOG file on the card (besides Canon's log, which you attached). In this case, it didn't happen, I guess.

I can get a detailed Canon log, but the current code is written for 2.1.2. It can be adapted to 1.1.0 or 1.0.7, but it is a bit of work.

I'm not sure what causes the firmware update to stop earlier, but I think we can find out (will ask g3gg0 as well). It happened on non-ML cameras too, for example http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8386.0

Question: after you upgrade to 2.1.2, and it fails, is the camera still working with 1.1.0, or you need to downgrade again to get it work?

surf-360.de

Thats, the next Thing what i wanted to ask, maybe theres old code that makes it possible to create an actual log.

but maybe theres a solution, like you say, to bring back 2.1.2 to the camera, that makes logging easyer.

After upgrade to 2.1.2 with fail i need to downgrade again, because the camera brings only the Message: update file error. please check the memory card and reload the battery, after reloading the battery the message appears again.

One thing that i will try is to run the 2.1.2 Firmware update again, after taking one shot and after error 70 appeared.

a1ex

Quote from: surf-360.de on June 27, 2015, 02:31:59 PM
After upgrade to 2.1.2 with fail i need to downgrade again, because the camera brings only the Message: update file error. please check the memory card and reload the battery, after reloading the battery the message appears again.

That means, the firmware update leaves the MainFirmware bootflag disabled. You can still run the (incomplete?) 2.1.2 by inserting a ML card. (side note: this is possible because Canon bootloader loads autoexec.bin if it can't find a FIR, and ML then jumps to Canon firmware without checking the MainFirmware flag)

I'm tempted to look into the firmware update utility and attempt to get a log from there (just for understanding what's going on). I was able to run the 60D firmware update in QEMU and get the initial startup screens, so I can experiment without fear of damaging a camera.

Problem is: I'm not home, and I'll be back in about 2 weeks, so can't try things on my 5D2 yet. Hope you are not in a hurry.

surf-360.de

Ok, so what i have to do? Flash to failed Version 2.1.2? and put ML on the Card? i tried this two things: flashed to failed 2.1.2 then installed ML. once i switched the Cam on only with ML Directory and autoexec.bin on the Card the Firmware update Utility asked for Firmware update file.

once i switched the Camera on with ML Directory, autoexec.bin and ML Fir File on the Card, something will executed but i dont know what, but the Screen turns black and no booting or any reaction from the Camera. also tried to push delete button for starting ML but also no reaction.

I'ts not that big Problem to wait 2 weeks, the camera is working, only HDR shots with 5 or 7 brackets i have to do manually actually, but this Kind of images i don't do so often.

a1ex

To make sure the ML card was prepared correctly, try running the display test (replace autoexec.bin with the one from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14732 )

If the display test works, and it shows 2.1.2 on the screen, try the following tests:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0