[CLEANUP] What features are useless and can be removed?

Started by a1ex, June 29, 2012, 08:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Wonder if they develop similar to magic lantern... same code base with slight changes as needed for each model. I'm surprised in this long while nobody has leaked their firmware sources.

a1ex

Yes, the code base is the common to all cameras (evolving chronologically) and there are small user interface changes for each camera (what features to include etc).

Nobody has leaked the sources, but... http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Decompiling ;)

Interesting that the backend API wasn't changed from years (like file I/O, semaphores, properties, dialog API) - these functions work well from 5Dc (2005) to 5D3 (2012) :)

This thread should probably split.. it went a bit offtopic, no?

gerk.raisen

Hello!

Please keep:

Flash / NoFlash (simple but confortable option)
Silent pics - advanced modes (I use it a lot to save shutter count)
Mirror lockup sync'ed with self timer (my standard setting for night shot!)
Upside-down mode (used for for macro photo)
Sticky HalfShutter (useful in many situation, like for example photo made to me by other persons, I prepare all before, set focus where I want and then is ready also for dummies :)

Movie remap on my 60d it was very useful, and I never had a freeze or crash for it...isn't possible to add only for 60d?

Thank you.

1%

How does trap focus work now? I still can't get it to snap without holding half shutter or setting sticky HS. I thought it didn't need it.

a1ex

1%

Never mind, being dumb... there are 2 trap focus styles now.

Arthur

By the way, I can't say much, but there are some few features I think shouldn't be removed:

My "keep" list:

Sticky DOF preview: This one will be really useful for me, I'm often using DOF preview to check for both DOF, but also to check if there is no diffraction happening, so I cycle through values back and forth, and accidentally unpress the DOF preview while trying to change the aperture (I set my DOF preview to SET., and when trying to press Av+/- I end unpressing it).

Mirror lockup, since my camera doesn't have this option by default.

Quote from: a1ex on July 02, 2012, 05:12:00 PM
Yes, the code base is the common to all cameras (evolving chronologically) and there are small user interface changes for each camera (what features to include etc).

Nobody has leaked the sources, but... http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Decompiling ;)

Interesting that the backend API wasn't changed from years (like file I/O, semaphores, properties, dialog API) - these functions work well from 5Dc (2005) to 5D3 (2012) :)

This thread should probably split.. it went a bit offtopic, no?
Would be really cool if this leads to understand how the firmware interacts with the DIGIC processor, we could unlock much more potentials and bypass some artificial blocks Canon might have placed inside their firmware.
EOS 1100D | EF-S 15-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (Kit lens)

scrax

Quote from: gerk.raisen on July 03, 2012, 09:19:52 AM
Movie remap on my 60d it was very useful, and I never had a freeze or crash for it...isn't possible to add only for 60d?
Already answered here:
Quote from: a1ex on July 03, 2012, 08:55:29 PM
You can still use it at your own risk - nobody is stopping you from compiling a custom version with it enabled.

But please don't ask me to release something that has the potential of causing permanent camera damage. I'm 100% sure it can - it happened on my own 60D, but I was lucky that I still had access to Canon menus to clear the settings and bring the movie mode back.

Have a nice reading: http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/802d76120a9f5472

So sorry but if there was only one camera that can't have it would be just the 60D  :P
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on July 03, 2012, 08:55:29 PM
But please don't ask me to release something that has the potential of causing permanent camera damage. I'm 100% sure it can - it happened on my own 60D, but I was lucky that I still had access to Canon menus to clear the settings and bring the movie mode back.

Alex, if possible please issue clearer warnings about known dangerous bugs.

I have a 60d and use movie remap, but you writing about "stability problems" didn't sound to me like it was possible to brick the camera, but more like the occasional  "turn on - turn off" or max. "remove the battery" fix. I'll certainly wont' continue to use movie remap if there's a real danger, and you are right about removing it in any release version.

edit: btw, I took part in sponsoring your 60d a year ago and have been happy to test alphas and report bugs (I used the name MagicBrick on Google Groups). So if there's any pre-release sponsor access mailing list or whatever to provide beta links, please add me, too - or is this linked to the profile->paid subscriptions nowadays?

a1ex

Okay, so here it goes:

Magic Lantern Security Bulletin: using movie mode remap may cause explosions, data loss, and other kind of permanent damage. See the FAQ: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#is_it_safe

I knew who you are from your first post. There are no paid subscriptions implemented yet, but probably there will be something like this (where supporters will get betas earlier).

I'm researching how these settings can be restored if anything wrong happens - a disposable camera (like a very cheap second-hand 500D, even not fully functional) would help greatly. What I'm sure is that the bootloader is always loaded, so even if something bad happens, I will be at least able to dump the ROM and do some troubleshooting. But I'm not comfortable trying altering the ROM by hand on a good camera.

For now, there's this page: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unbricking

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on July 05, 2012, 04:59:04 PM
Magic Lantern Security Bulletin: using movie mode remap may cause explosions, data loss, and other kind of permanent damage. See the FAQ: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#is_it_safe

:-p ... I'll pass this on, and I just read about the suggestion to use custom modes with ml for safety. The thing is that I'm constantly telling people how great ml is (I'm amazed so few are using it, I hope the new website will help) - and I'm usually saying that unified is 99,9% stable. That's why I jumped when I read that a long-term feature like movie remap has the potential to brick the camera :-o

Concerning early betas: Well, I'm perfectly capable of compiling ml myself, I'm just too lazy because it's working fine right now (May release from Google Groups). I just thought there was a repo for beta releases and bug testing - because if you'll release "rc1" the term "release candidate" implies that you think it's 100% stable, otherwise it'd be better called "beta1".

a1ex

Beta testing was the feedback from ml-devel, then there was a early RC0 testing among the current ML team. You can see the results here:
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG1FMjVQUEtjWV8zSlpaeEZtZDBQZ2c6MQ#gid=0

And I call it "release candidate" because I don't have plans for changing any functionality - just fix any remaining bugs which I wasn't able to detect.

johnby

Quote from: Kathode-Ray on June 30, 2012, 12:41:25 PM
- Auto ISO limits in movie mode: please keep this feature! I use it a lot in low light situations, with the lowest 1/33s shutter speed. In fact, I would like to see this feature re-enabled with 1/25s shutter for my 60D. Please??

I also loved it, this function and I was upset when you do not find it in version 2.3

a1ex

Lower ISO limit was OK, but upper limit was interferring with manual ISO.

trundicho

Quote from: johnby on July 25, 2012, 01:01:25 PM
I also loved it, this function and I was upset when you do not find it in version 2.3
the shutter 25/s was the killer feature for me - enabling shooting (pal) also with cheaper lenses and get enough light falling on to the sensor.

Please reenable it if possible ;)
Greetings

a1ex

trundicho

Quote from: a1ex on July 25, 2012, 10:37:04 PM
1/25 is still there.
Great, I can't find instructions or help about it - the minimum shutter I see is 33 while shooting 1080 25p, how can you change it?

Greetings

a1ex

With expo override, just like before.

Closing the thread since it went offtopic.