[CLEANUP] What features are useless and can be removed?

Started by a1ex, June 29, 2012, 08:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathode-Ray

It looks very neat Alex! The Prefs menu is great, very handy for those set-and-forget items. It keeps the other menus tidy. There's even space left for one future item in the top row :-)

Ray
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

a1ex

User configurable menu is possible, try out changeset eddae7f63dc5.

Malcolm Debono

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

weldroid

Where did SET+Maindial(PLay) options ended up? Prefs/Image review settings?

Looks nice and clean, +1 for getting rid of the simple menu, maybe the user customized menu could replace that one...
Weapon of choice:
600D, EF-S 18-55 ISII Premiere, Luminance HDR, Blender, Luxrender
http://www.vimeo.com/weldroid (http://soundcloud.com/weldroid)

scrax

Not a priority but just to let you know, last code can't compile plugin anymore...

../../src/exmem.c: In function 'shoot_malloc':
../../src/exmem.c:30:20: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
../../src/exmem.c:32:5: warning: return makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
[ CC       ]   plugin.o
In file included from ../../src/all_headers.h:3:0,
                 from ../../src/plugin.c:4:
../../src/dryos.h:459:1: error: redefinition of '_os_command_0x0100005_block'
../../src/dryos.h:458:1: note: previous definition of '_os_command_0x0100005_block' was here
make[1]: *** [plugin.o] Error 1
make: *** [600D] Error 2

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

The new configurable menu is great and easy, just press MENU on the items you want to hide and they will become grey, when done close and reopen MLmenu to hide them.
To see the hidden menu (and unhide them with MENU) set ON, under Prefs, "Display hidden menu".

I don't know if is intentional but there are no more overlay on photo mode, nothing is show like without ML. No time no MLU get it...

Also for who lost (like me) overlay in photo mode, you need to enable them in global draw options using QuickReview (LV+QR)
I think maybe if possible is better to have a submenu here too with:
LiveView : On | Off
QuickReview :  On | Off
Photo Display Mode (how is called?): On | Off

EDIT:
Also in global draw pressing Q will revert the value to LiveView only, if more display preset are set it will do the same and change preset, so this will revert all prese to the same LiveView state instad the one set before.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on June 29, 2012, 08:18:31 AM
- 60D level indicator (Canon has one too)

Yes, please keep it - I added it on multiple display presets as an integrated, unobtrusive way to check the camera level on my 60d.

- Silent pics - advanced modes (I intend to keep only simple, burst and maybe matrix modes)

Please do keep the hi-res matrix mode, I was asking for that before on Google groups - I use it frequently to preview focus stacks without increasing the shutter count, at 20-30 pictures per shot this really does make a difference on camera bodies with 100-150k warranty cycles. Even if there's no way to prevent individual tiles or shots to exposing differently, please at least keep it as it is!

- Mirror lockup sync'ed with self timer (anyone using it?)

Yes, I'm using exactly this setting since it can't hurt to have the mirror lock up if the camera is on timer anyway.

- movie remap (sorry for that, I know it was very handy, but causes stability problems)

Noooooooo ... "handy" doesn't even come close, and I for one never had any problems with it on 60d :-(

Last not least: Thanks for asking before removing existing, please don't go the GNOME way and think that users are easily confused!

a1ex

Hehe, good remark about the GNOME way. Fortunately, the new menu fine tuning does a very good balance between feature packing and usability. By default you get everything there, with obscure things in submenus. You want a minimalist menu - no problem, just hide everything you don't use and you have a minimalist menu.

Offtopic: zooming on AF point works very well ;)

Kathode-Ray

Movie remap, sad to see it go, for me too...

Couldn't this be made into a "use at your own risk" option? Or maybe a hidden tweak setting, only for 60D users?

Looking forward to try the new menu structure!

Ray
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

a1ex

If things go well, next week we'll have a release candidate (RC1) for public testing.

Kathode-Ray

Awesome, can't wait...  ;)

Thanks for all your hard work, it's amazing how ML has grown in such short time.

Ray

1%

New zoom on 100% + afp zooms to somewhere in the middle then immediately jumps slightly to the side on next press of zoom or arrow key. I actually don't mind this. Although I can turn it off too now.

The zoom in/zoom out seems to have gotten way more responsive and smooth.

scrax

Quote from: 1% on July 02, 2012, 12:24:42 AM
New zoom on 100% + afp zooms to somewhere in the middle then immediately jumps slightly to the side on next press of zoom or arrow key. I actually don't mind this. Although I can turn it off too now.
I can confirm that problem on 600D too. can't use that feat for now.

I've just learned a new shortcut (to me) in photo mode when in AF mode selection screen (right arrow) pressing Q will open focus menu, can this option be expanded also to WB (up arrow) and Drive mode (left arrow), to open Expo and Shoot menu? I have no idea where to look for it in the source, searching right now...

a1ex

Zoom should be a bit better now. It's tricky because it actually uses a small flood of zoom events, combined with changing Canon variables in RAM (zoom level and position), and the exact behavior can vary slightly between cameras.

With 85c2b1eca3ec it feels very smooth on 5D2 and 60D, didn't try on 550D.

Scrax: the trap focus shortcut looks at the value of CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE (correct naming for that is GUI_MODE). With that you can identify what dialog is currently on screen, but it's camera specific. Another method is to check the address of dialog handler code, with get_current_dialog_handler() - this is very robust, but also the address of the handler is camera specific.

Or, you can trap the buttons themselves (with handle_* functions). For trap focus I chose the dialog since the buttons for triggering it are different among cameras (and not all of them can be caught by button handler).

scrax

AFP still not  ok on 600D, before it was always going to a few pixel right from center, now it goes in the bottom right corner.
"Last" is working good, also zoom out.
Focal length is ok.

for the shortcuts I saw an old commit that was having in gui.c some shortcuts commented out for 600D.
Now found were it is now..

#if !defined(CONFIG_50D) && !defined(CONFIG_5D2) && !defined(CONFIG_5D3)
int handle_quick_access_menu_items(struct event * event)
{
    // quick access to some menu items
    #ifdef BGMT_Q_ALT
    if (event->param == BGMT_Q_ALT && !gui_menu_shown())
    #else
    if (event->param == BGMT_Q && !gui_menu_shown())
    #endif
    {
        if (ISO_ADJUSTMENT_ACTIVE)
        {
            select_menu("Expo", 0);
            give_semaphore( gui_sem );
            return 0;
        }
#ifdef CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2
        else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 == DLG2_FOCUS_MODE)
#else
        else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE == DLG_FOCUS_MODE)
#endif
        {
            select_menu("Focus", 0);
            return 0;
        }
    }
    return 1;
}
#endif

now why there are CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE and CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 ?... Ok solved.

That was more easy than I was thinking :)

I've added Q shortcuts when in:
WB -> Expo  (actually on 600D ISO_ADJUSTMENT_ACTIVE  part don't works)
Drive Mode-> Shoot
PicStyle -> Overlay
Focus -> Focus (like before)
Menu -> Prefs (this is more a test than useful)

#if !defined(CONFIG_50D) && !defined(CONFIG_5D2) && !defined(CONFIG_5D3)
int handle_quick_access_menu_items(struct event * event)
{
    // quick access to some menu items
    #ifdef BGMT_Q_ALT
    if (event->param == BGMT_Q_ALT && !gui_menu_shown())
    #else
    if (event->param == BGMT_Q && !gui_menu_shown())
    #endif
    {
        if (ISO_ADJUSTMENT_ACTIVE)
        {
            select_menu("Expo", 0);
            return 0;
        }
        else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 == DLG2_FOCUS_MODE)
#else
        else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE == DLG_FOCUS_MODE)
#endif
        {
            select_menu("Focus", 0);
            return 0;
        }
        else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 == DLG2_WB)
#else
else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE == DLG_WB)
#endif
{
select_menu("Expo", 0);
return 0;
}
        else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 == DLG2_DRIVE_MODE)
#else
else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE == DLG_DRIVE_MODE)
#endif
{
select_menu("Shoot", 0);
return 0;
}
else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 == DLG2_PICTURE_STYLE)
#else
else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE == DLG_PICTURE_STYLE)
#endif
{
select_menu("Overlay", 0);
return 0;
}
else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE_2 == DLG2_MENU)
#else
else if (CURRENT_DIALOG_MAYBE == DLG_MENU)
#endif
{
select_menu("Prefs", 0);
return 0;
}
    }
    return 1;
}
#endif

I think I need some help in adding the code to show onscreen the ISO_ADJUSTMENT_ACTIVE value, so to check if it is correct for 600D.

a1ex

To show something on screen, I add a bmp_printf line in debug_loop_task (there' one already commented).

Zoom on AFP is OK after all?

scrax

Not yet, I've a screenshot

In this image focus was on midle right spot:

o
   o     o
o     o     x
   o     o
      o

and i have the same with a pic with focus in the opposite direction:

o
   o     o
x     o     o
   o     o
      o

a1ex

In this case, write down the values of IMGPLAY_ZOOM_POS_X and IMGPLAY_ZOOM_POS_Y for the following cases:
1) center (just press zoom in and print the values)
2) left AF point (manually zoom all the way in to something focused with that AF point)
3) top AF point (same as 2)

Those numbers will need to be changed in consts.h.

scrax

I've added this in debug.c:1804

//~ bmp_printf(FONT_LARGE, 50, 50, "%x -> %x ", bmp_vram_raw(), bmp_vram_real());
        bmp_printf(FONT_LARGE, 50, 50, "%x - %x ", IMGPLAY_ZOOM_POS_X, IMGPLAY_ZOOM_POS_Y);

and now I can have all the numbers :D
I have to go out for an hour now, i'll find out them when back, battery drained for now...
center is 144 - d8
top 144 - 98 (not sure)
a2 - d8 is

o
   o     o
x     o     o
   o     o
      o

a1ex

Good, so it's just like 60D/550D. I must have copied the 5D2 values by mistake.

1%

o
   o     x
o     o     o
   o     o
      o

Strange it would zoom on different point for me.

*Tested out the fix and it works very well indeed.

a1ex

Probably the top-right point is not at the middle point between the top and the right ones. Does it zoom close to that point, or far away?

1%

It was zooming close on that point with every shot. After the first fix it would zoom to middle then jump to that point when you pressed anything. Now its all fixed and I have a way to try to test the af patterns easily.

a1ex

I think the 60D and 600D have almost identical Canon playback code, 5D2/50D/500D are very similar among them, and 550D is somewhere in between but closer to 60D/600D.