Photo mode with Canon 5d II & Samyang lenses

Started by Keithcanisius, December 08, 2014, 02:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithcanisius

Hi,

Hi guys!

I'm quite new here, so I hope my post is in the right place.

I like the focus options with ML (using the magic zoom for focus confirmation) using my manual lenses, but I am having some small difficulties.

1. I would like ML to use auto ISO, which I have it set to, but where ever I point the camera, it seems to be on 100. I have it on auto on the Canon Firmware as well.

2. I would also like the shutter to be on auto, but it does not seem to be possible? is this because I am in Live mode perhaps.

I am starting to get some pictures here and there with digital grain. Not quite sure why. Don't recall having that before.

Thanks for you're tips, if any  :)

Keithcanisius

Gave it another go and the ISO does change in my apartment, don't know why it didn't today outside.

Anyway, how about shutter speed, can that be on auto somehow as well?

Keithcanisius

Thanks for the link. I take pictures in AV mode,
but was unsure if ML effects shutter speed.
why can't I set shutter to auto.
Or does AV mode simply overwrite ML
shutter settings anyway, I guees then ?

dmilligan

ML does not have its own shutter setting. It simply has a menu that allows you to view and change the Canon setting.

Av mode will always automatically set shutter speed, and ML does not ever override it.

Keithcanisius

Thanks for youre help, good to get it confirmed.

Was out again today and when the light gets just a little weak I get digital grain on some pictures (AV mode)

Anyone know why - Does my camera bump the ISO up to high ?

Mostly in the darker area's I think.

EDIT, the EXIF data on flickr says ISO 100 and Shutter speed 1/8000 -  Can I rely on that being true?

Seems like either the camera or ML is making some weird decisions shooting a grey sky with a little light choosing that setting?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kc-baerken/15362519544/

Keithcanisius

Okay this probably has nothing to do with ML

Guess if I have the Exposure way open at 1.4 taking a picture of a setting with a semi strong light in a small area and darker other places - The is ISO is low 100 and shutter fast 1/5000 or 1/8000 leaving the darker area's grainy ?

Keithcanisius

The reason for shooting wide open could be due to the LCD screen being to dark to see with lower exposure F8-F16 perhaps..

I need some more experience probably  :o