Technicolor-T3i?

Started by pittguy578, June 28, 2012, 08:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pittguy578

I am slightly confused..I saw some videos on youtube shot with ML saying Technicolor settings
Is that something that is native to the program or do you have to set it? Or is that done in PP?

Schloime

Hi.
Technicolor is a picturestyle. You can download new picturestyles not only from canon, but from other suppliers, too. I just don't know the web-address right now.
The Technicolor style is very flat, meaning low contrast, low saturation, low sharpness, to allow more freedom in PP. It is also supposed to bring in a little bit more dynamic range, but there is another thread in this forum with a very thorough comparison between Technicolor and other styles.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=948.0
600D, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 55-200, SNS-HDR, Photoshop7, Lightroom, Lightwave, Lightworks, Light everywhere

Francis

It's a custom Picture style added to your camera through EOS Utility, the program used for tethering and remote control that came with your camera. Search outside the forums for Technicolor Cinestyle and Canon pictures styles. You'll find all sorts of opinions as well as installation instructions.

1%

Its a picture style with a modified curve, supposedly to give more dynamic range. For me it just screws up the blacks and makes it harder to post.

Arthur

I've tried the Technicolor CineStyle on my T3/1100D, but unfortunately it gave off a lot of noise.

I think someone said somewhere that you need to set certain ISO values that give off less noise.

But my 1100D not only doesn't have manual exposure/aperture/iso settings when shooting video, but it also has screwed up ISO values, I've read somewhere that ISO values for 1100D are slightly higher than they are labeled (100 is actual 100 + something), and I guess that the values Canon has set up for 1100D are exactly the ones who give the highest amount of noise.

I don't know if the ISO setting for 600D/T3i is the same as 1100D/T3, but if they are, you'll probably need to tweak the ISO values using Magic Lantern.

If you shoot using this picture style, you'll need to apply a LUT or apply a gamma curve later on post processing.
EOS 1100D | EF-S 15-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (Kit lens)

tinyenormous

I spend all day editing video and color correcting footage. When I go home and shoot something non commercial, 90% of the time I shoot it in anything other than technicolor. Unless I'm getting paid to ingest and color it I prefer to set color in camera.

I think a lot of amateurs get lost in the discussion of latitude and forget about the added time required to make the footage look good again.

1%

Just like sRGB vs Adobe RGB.