A day with ML and a great landscape

Started by SDX, March 31, 2014, 03:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDX

I had to spend two weeks last month in Dublin, Ireland. Ever since I don't like being in big cities nor find them inspiring for photography, I spontaneously organized myself a rented car and "cleaned" a day from my tight schedule. The day was spent in and around Dingle (4h south-west of Dublin) with my 600D, Eos-M and ML. In case you ever want to go to Ireland, this is the place to go. My pictures don't do this spectacular landscape justice, but I did my best. Also, bring some time with you, this place deserves it. I didn't know what to expect, and ended up being kind of sad when I had to head back again. Hopefully I'm going to visit this place again.

In case you want to see all pictures, here they are.

rtwomey

Lovely images. I live in Dublin but have never made it to Dingle, I must fix that soon.

dsManning

Looks like you did alright for one day  :) Nice work.

SDX

Everything is very close to each other, so there is no more then a 10-15 minute drive and a few meters of walking between each of the photos. I must admit that I pretty much rushed through it, but I wanted to capture as much as possible. As I mentioned, I wished I could have spend more time with the individual motives.

Sunny Alan

SDX,
Thanks a lot for those beautiful shots.
your stating 'couldn't do justice to this place' denotes your humbleness: your landscapes are great and doing justice to the great location, I want to go there
Please explain me how ML is helping with landscape photography as from a users' mouth experience.
(Sorry, I am a newbie with ML)

SDX

Hi Sunny Alan, welcome to the forum.

I often make use of the DualISO function, which essentially takes a picture with two different iso, in order to improve the dynamic range of the picture. It's a bit like HDR bracketing, but without all the  downsides. I make use of it in order to have greater control over the picture once I correct them.

Another feature is the bulbtimer. In this series I don't make use of it, but usually you can only dial the exposure time up to 30 sec. on the camera. The bulbtimer however allows you to crank it up to any value you want. Especially at night or with strong nd filters, exposure times of 1 or two minutes are thereby very easy to achieve.

Another function I very often make use of is the intervalometer. Usually, external devices are used in order to do this, but with ML you can save that money. The intervalometer allows me to take startrails very easy. Also, I can take a series of pictures and stack them in a subsequent step. That way I can make a long exposure of a stack of images, which is a cheap alternative to a strong ND filter. The picture "Dingle #11" demonstrates a result of this technique. It's a stacking of 22 exposures of 1.3 sec. each.

- SDX