[WONTFIX] 4GB Limitation And 30 minutes movie recording limitation.

Started by RealMyop, June 28, 2012, 07:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealMyop

Hello everyone!

First post on this forum. To begin I wanted to thanks everyone who work on ML, it's a great piece of work you did !

I'm, as many I believe, using for the first time a DSLR to shoot videos and I've been surprised to see that the 4GB limitation of fat32 could be a problem too shoot long video. This problem has been solved in classic HD video camera by making several files of 4GB connected to each other, with no stop in the recording. I was wondering if the same "trick" could me made on a DSLR using ML.

I know also the 30 minutes limitation coming from the "legal" part, after 30 minutes a camera is not considered legally as a camera anymore but as a video camera. It seems to change the taxes and all the brand did put a limitation to the movie length to still be legally a camera. I've also discovered that on some Nikon it's possible to remove that limitation with a hack Firmware.

I think ML is already removing this "legal" limitation but cannot record more than 4GB file even on exfat card (64 or 128 GB SDXC card for example)

I did a few test on my 600D and I saw this movie restart automatic feature (already nice) but the camera is lacking a few seconds (around 2) because of the indication"movie stop". I was thinking maybe you could remove this "text info" to just do like video camera do. It would result in a no limitation of movie length making as many as 4GB files as needed to keep recording.

Maybe you did think about that too, and maybe it's impossible but I could not find any topic talking about that so I though it would as least worth the question to be asked.

Thanks everyone and keep up the good work !

RealMyop

Francis

I believe the 2 second pause is not just to display the text indicating that recording is restarting. That would be intentionally negating part of the benefit of autorestart. I bet it is more a factor of the camera clearing the recording buffer and restarting the recording, which has a bit of a delay in the first place. Maybe with the newer generation Canons with the Digic5+ processor, the increased speed and specs will reduce the pause between recorded clips.

In the meantime one must just be creative with their recording. I saw one user mention that when recording something long and uninterrupted like debates or presentations, they use an external audio recorder so not have any gaps in the audio recording and fill in the video pause between clips with shots of the audience or other environmental shots.

1%

Clip 2 movies together so that the camera plays them. The camera "saw" my 8gb file on exfat and even had the first frame on the screen... same with smaller movies stream cut together. Just wouldn't play it back.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: Francis on June 28, 2012, 07:51:10 PM
In the meantime one must just be creative with their recording. I saw one user mention that when recording something long and uninterrupted like debates or presentations, they use an external audio recorder so not have any gaps in the audio recording and fill in the video pause between clips with shots of the audience or other environmental shots.

I think that this is the best way to go for now. I mainly shoot weddings. We find gaps where there isn't anything going on (e.g. someone just finished a speech or party ready from ceremony) and restart there.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

RealMyop

I was just wondering how a video camera is working. It's the kind of hardware (processor, ccd, sd card etc...) but one has limitation and not the other. Could we copy the system of one to another...

I know the tricks to compensated this problem, but still it would be great to see it solved^^

Francis

With these devices and other embedded systems, you're stuck with the given limitations of the hardware. While there are definitely similarities between still and video cameras, I'm sure that there are some major differences in hardware. 

If there is a solution to this problem, it will be found within these cameras and not figuring out how some other device like a video camera does.

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X