Canon 5D Mark 3 Questions

Started by JJoxxTaylor, April 12, 2024, 06:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJoxxTaylor

Hi, I'm in the mid-stages of pre-production on a short film and I have some specific questions I can't really find anywhere else about 5DMK3.

1.) Will the 5D mark 3 overheat while recording 1080p Raw video during a full-day shoot

2.) Can you monitor audio with a pair of headphones with the 5D mark 3 with magic lantern installed

3.) Does external monitors work while recording with the 5 mark 3 i.e feelword monitor 

4.) Do you have to convert the raw formatted videos before you can edit them in Premier pro

5.) Can you use your camera like normal when you remove the SD card from the camera 

The reason I'm asking these questions is to see if it is worth the camera quality for the workflow and to see if I'm able to use my camera like I used to before I would have installed it thanks for the help / future responses.

names_are_hard

1 - probably not
4 - yes
5 - yes (ML lives on the card, not the cam)

kpn

1) no
2) yes
3) it works but it's not a correct framing even if you stretch it to 2.35:1
4) you can use mlvfs and import it straight to resolve, no conversion, not sure about premiere but resolve is superior anyway, plus you have way more data to work with (raw video) instead of converted to mp4
5) already answered

names_are_hard

Technically we agree on point 4 - MLVFS converts MLV files, in a way which is generally not noticeable :)  I called this "yes" because you have to install this extra thing in order to use files from ML with other software.

Kharak

Quote3) it works but it's not a correct framing even if you stretch it to 2.35:1
I use monitors all the time, they work 100%. As long as they support 1080p, there should be no problem.

But you need to run firmware 1.2.3 or above for Clean HDMI Output. I recommend you update or downgrade to 1.2.3. and the appropriate ML version

Question 1: I also never had a 5D3 overheat, that feature was introduced with the RF line ;)

Yes to all other questions
once you go raw you never go back

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Kharak on April 15, 2024, 01:33:59 PMBut you need to run firmware 1.2.3 or above for Clean HDMI Output. I recommend you update or downgrade to 1.2.3. and the appropriate ML version

?
Clean HDMI out-of-the-box requires 1.2.x.
Clean HDMI with ML for 1.1.3 and 1.2.3.

Kharak

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 15, 2024, 01:38:04 PM?
Clean HDMI out-of-the-box requires 1.2.x.
Clean HDMI with ML for 1.1.3 and 1.2.3.

I did not know that ML made Clean HDMI possible on 1.1.3, I thought you needed 1.2.3 for clean HDMI output.
To my understanding fir 123 runs a little slower than 113, because Canon allocates one extra processor to the HDMI module or something like that.
How does ML enable Clean HDMI? Does it also allocate extra processing for the HDMI output?

names_are_hard

1.2.3 quad buffers output, rather than triple buffers.  This is probably related to changes in output capability.  I don't know for sure if this is why things are "slower" (or even if 1.2.3 is slower!  There's certainly no "extra processor" allocated).  You would expect this to increase latency by about a frame, which is unlikely to be perceptible.

ML enables clean HDMI in the same way it works on every other cam, by stopping display of Canon decorations.  Not quite sure what you're asking here.

As always, if you're concerned about changes in performance: you have to measure it.  People are terrible about estimating performance and often think a change makes things worse (or better!) when really it just feels different.

Walter Schulz

Clean HDMI is implemented for all ML cameras supporting Display tab -> Clear overlays. Works for USB streaming, too.
It's been there for about a decade IIRC.
Also https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_record_stream_for_more_than_30_minutes
For the reasons why ML supports 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 and their differences:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.0

Kharak

Quote from: names_are_hard on April 15, 2024, 06:46:18 PM1.2.3 quad buffers output, rather than triple buffers.  This is probably related to changes in output capability.  I don't know for sure if this is why things are "slower" (or even if 1.2.3 is slower!  There's certainly no "extra processor" allocated).  You would expect this to increase latency by about a frame, which is unlikely to be perceptible.

ML enables clean HDMI in the same way it works on every other cam, by stopping display of Canon decorations.  Not quite sure what you're asking here.

As always, if you're concerned about changes in performance: you have to measure it.  People are terrible about estimating performance and often think a change makes things worse (or better!) when really it just feels different.

I am not concerned with anything, I was simply asking and projecting my idea of how it works. I did also say "something like that".
 I am not under the "impression" that it is is slower, it is slower, according to A1ex. Not by much, but it does not record raw video as fast as 113, because of the Quad Buffering in 123, one buffer less available for ML tasks (thanks for the explanation).

names_are_hard

I have no evidence it is faster or slower, and wasn't trying to explain that.