Digic Peaking - Edge Image Toggle Button

Started by Kharak, March 28, 2014, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

I have a feature request or modification.

In ML menu, Digic Peaking, You can scroll from Slightly sharper to Edge Image, Slightly sharper is awesome, but still at times I am in doubt and that's when Edge Image is perfect. Is it possible that AF ON button or Zoom Out or half shutter press (or any other) could be used for quick toggling ON and OFF for Edge image? It would help a lot as a safety margin when setting focus and it would be nice if there was a quicker way to activate Edge image without going in to ML menu and scroll.

Or maybe users could choose under the Digic peaking, if they want to activate a/the shortcut button for Edge Image.

Think this would be great for all cameras.

I am on 5D MK II and on this camera it does not seem to be a problem using one of those buttons for this as they all have the same feature in RAW. Giving colour preview when ML Preview is ON. I don't know about the buttons on the other models though.
once you go raw you never go back

Marsu42

Quote from: Kharak on March 28, 2014, 06:08:47 PM
Or maybe users could choose under the Digic peaking, if they want to activate a/the shortcut button for Edge Image.

Like a lot of other feature requests, this is basically linking ml features to buttons. I'm currently writing a module for arrow/set keys and can later on add ml features people want linked there, though don't expect it to be released tomorrow...

Kharak

Sounds nice man!

On the 5dii half-shutter press, zoom out and AF-On buttons all have the same function, colour preview in ML Grayscale and I don't use any of those. So I got 3 buttons I could shortcut to different functions!

Looking forward to it Marsu!

Marsu42

Quote from: Kharak on April 06, 2014, 06:38:41 PM
On the 5dii half-shutter press, zoom out and AF-On buttons all have the same function

Problem is ML cannot intercept or tell apart all available buttons, so basically you're stuck with arrow/set for custom hotkeys. Hold your horses though, I'm not promising to finish the module in the immediate future :-o

Kharak

I will have to make due until then. Edge image works and all, it would just be so much faster if there was a button to toggle between Slightly Sharper and Edge Image, when in doubt.

I shall be waiting!

eyeland

That sounds like a very worthy effort Marsu!
Are you looking into the use of modifier keys as well? (like the canon option of changing ISO by holding down SET while turning the index-finger dial on the 5D)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

Marsu42

Quote from: eyeland on April 07, 2014, 01:19:13 AM
Are you looking into the use of modifier keys as well? (like the canon option of changing ISO by holding down SET while turning the index-finger dial on the 5D)

I don't like the two-finger method, breaks my joints :-p and I find it impractical when in a hurry. My method is to use a metakey (play or set) before activating each layer of shortcuts on arrow/set. I've been using this method for almost a year with this module and it's proven to work.

PhotoCat

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 06, 2014, 08:34:05 AM
Like a lot of other feature requests, this is basically linking ml features to buttons. I'm currently writing a module for arrow/set keys and can later on add ml features people want linked there, though don't expect it to be released tomorrow...

This is great Marsu42! This module would be handy to toggle between DISP 0/1/2/3  Overlays, using a right-hand-side hotkey! 
Currently the INFO key is not in the best position to toggle it, since the left hand will need to leave the lens focus ring!

PhotoCat

Quote from: Kharak on March 28, 2014, 06:08:47 PM
I have a feature request or modification.

In ML menu, Digic Peaking, You can scroll from Slightly sharper to Edge Image, Slightly sharper is awesome, but still at times I am in doubt and that's when Edge Image is perfect. Is it possible that AF ON button or Zoom Out or half shutter press (or any other) could be used for quick toggling ON and OFF for Edge image? It would help a lot as a safety margin when setting focus and it would be nice if there was a quicker way to activate Edge image without going in to ML menu and scroll.

Think this would be great for all cameras.

I am on 5D MK II and on this camera it does not seem to be a problem using one of those buttons for this as they all have the same feature in RAW. Giving colour preview when ML Preview is ON. I don't know about the buttons on the other models though.

Actually everything maybe there already... I think... 

Now when in "Edge image" display, everything is dark except the edges. Holding half press of the shutter
will make the LV normal looking again.     How about reversing the polarity Marsu42?

i.e.  Everything looks normal in LV as usual.    A half press on shutter will activate "Edge Image".
Then we fine tune the focus quickly and release the shutter.  Done!

Perhaps it is just a quick polarity change in the code??   Is it possible Marsu42?  Tks!

PhotoCat

Is the following GUI possible?

In the Digic Peaking manual, add an option "Slightly sharper/Edge Image"

i.e.

OFF
Slightly sharper
Edge Image
Edge + Chroma
Slightly sharper/Edge Image

In this last mode, the half press of shutter will toggle between Slightly sharper/Edge Image.

Tks!

eyeland

Sorry about the Necro, just suddenly remembered and was wondering if there was ever any progress on implementation?

Kharak

Not to my knowledge, i forgot about this one.

I made due with slightly sharper and setting PP sharpness to +7.

That idea of reversing the "polarity" for half-shutter is nice though.

@eyeland, you are a grave digger ;)

eyeland