Image on LCD looks very different from the footage I capture

Started by dilectus, March 27, 2014, 08:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilectus

I'm using magic lantern with my Canon T2i and filming an interview. For this interview I have a three point lighting setup with an additional light with a green gel adding a pleasant splash of color to a black felt backdrop. My settings are as follows: 85mm prime lens at f-2.8, 60 shutter speed, 1250 iso, 3700K white balance. Looking at my camera, the picture looks beautiful. Perfect brightness and the green splash of light in the background is subtle but very effective. Then when I import the footage to my computer, everything looks dark and the green in the background goes from subtle to barely noticeable at all. I have to brighten the video in post which causes it to take longer to export. Also, on a possibly related note, I've noticed sometimes that when I change my iso/f-stop settings, the image on my LCD remains the same no matter how extremely I change my settings (iso settings that should be way overexposed look no different on the LCD screen) and I will sometimes have to turn the camera on and off again once or twice in order to get an accurate reading. Does anyone else have this issue? Why is this happening?

pilgrim

pilgrim

dilectus,
I am sorry maybe I misunderstand about the LCD. First, I thought the LCD monitor computer, maybe you speak about LCD of camera.
If you speak about the LCD of camera, see the Magic Lantern menu on DISPLAY. Maybe on LV contrast on AUTO or other wrong selection. See also on LV brightness, check on the DISPLAY menu and verify with the Q button.
See also on EXPO menu, Expo. Override.
See also PREFS menu on LiveView zoom tweaks.
Greeting.

Audionut

And don't trust the LCD image.

Use raw based histogram/zebras.

Canon eos m

Great observation Audionut. The LCD is not to be trusted. It is for this reason, I went and got me a Zacuto EVF and loupe. The Zacuto baby is super awesome. Nothing more can describe its clarity, sharpness and correct presentation of the light-shadow ratio in the scene.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Audionut

That's not going to be anymore accurate then the camera LCD with a decent picture style.

And still not as accurate as raw based histogram/zebras.

And it's more expensive then basic camera models  :P

Canon eos m

That is what I thought too before I got this beast.

Started with the standard Chinese and Taiwanese made loupes. They are fine but only magnify the back screen of the camera. As they say s*** in s*** out. The Zacuto loupe is no different when used as a magnifier.

But, hold on, then enters the Zacuton EVF and whoa! This is the really daddy of EVF's - the Godfather!

You have to try it to know it. The loupe fits snugly on the EVF and the loupe fists snugly on the camera back. Together these are unbeatable. Then the version firmware upgrade 1.2.3 on the 5D3 made it only better with HDMI out and all that.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

dilectus

I know the live view can't always be trusted 100%, but this is such a dramatic difference that you would think it is not capturing the same settings that the live view is displaying (even though the log says everything is correct). It has happened quite a few times for me where my live view does not change when I change my settings (for example, I can go to f-22 in slightly dim indoor lighting and it looks the same in live view as f-2.8 because my live view doesn't change to reflect my settings for some reason), and I'm wondering if something's just really off. I will try using the same settings but with my T3i instead of my T2i the next time I shoot (Monday) and see if there is a difference. Thanks for the advice.

Audionut

@dilectus

Look at exposim.

@Canon eos m

Describe to me, in detail, how the EVF provides a more accurate display.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Audionut on March 28, 2014, 04:42:44 PM
@dilectus

Look at exposim.

@Canon eos m

Describe to me, in detail, how the EVF provides a more accurate display.

Let me try today to get a few pictures of the difference and a video (my first try ever) to show the difference.

For now,

The edges are so super sharp with the overall picture so clearly visible when focussed that you exactly know when the image is in focus. With the focus peaking the DoF just becomes so obvious - you can actually see it the DoF move through the frame with changing AV. I tried the 'Slightly Sharpen' on the LV Digic on ML but it is nowhere near to what you get the EVF to do.

Plus, the EFV has a built in 3X button too - no much use now that we have the same functionality on the camera.

You have to go and see the sharpness and clarity on the EVF to know what I am talking about.

Audionut

I'm interested in accuracy Canon eos m.  Sharpness is not a measure of accuracy  ;)

Canon eos m

Accuracy is nearly very high. You have to see it to believe it. It is for some reason that the company commands such a high premium for such a product.

Audionut