Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Quote from: berechiah on June 19, 2019, 01:56:04 PM
I have an eos m ..... But I have an oppurtunity to get a 5d mark 2 at a good price.
What is better or what in your opinion is a better camera
Should I get the 5d 2 or just stay with my eos m
Yes get the 5D2 over the eos m , faster write speed (CFcard) full frame
just a better looking image , it has a better user experience ,no bugs .
Soon it will have lossless compression (being trying to finish it from last year @ 90% done)
just finishing up with crop_rec now so by the end of the mouth I should be working on lossless .
Plus I'll be looking at overclocking the cf card bus for faster write speeds = to 5d3 @ 120MB/s.
just haven't had time to dig very deep , so yea the future looks very bright for 5d2 .
Oh did I mention 5d2 can do 48fps in 3x3 (FHD) 1856x1120 & 1920x818 45fps for in 3x crop_mode (in the crop_rec branch)

2blackbar

WOOOOW are You serious reddeercity? Ill get another CF card asap ! Thats fantastic news ! I was thinking it wasnt possible because of older digic or something.

Danne

Me and santa are planning 10k presets and 70 000 fps mode on the eosm. Future is bright...

reddeercity

Quote from: Danne on June 20, 2019, 08:43:39 AM
Me and santa are planning 10k presets and 70 000 fps mode on the eosm. Future is bright...
really , do you have to be ass all the time !
At least I'm trying to make thing better for the users
What about  you ?
And do you think I post all my research on the forum ? not even close .
If you can't post useful information of research data
Do all use a favor and post somewhere else 

Danne

Quote from: reddeercity on June 20, 2019, 09:20:24 AM
If you can't post useful information of research data
Do all use a favor and post somewhere else
Right back at you.

Audionut

2blackbar

hahaha  :D  IMO lossless is a big deal, i can record twice as much with it and on M i cant record uncompressed 14 bit, its too slow, i can record lossles14 bit so lossless saves the day on M and theoretically it would on 5D2 , i didnt had fast cards on 5D cause i was and still am so over M, i can shoot with or without speed booster getting different crop modes.Cards for 5D are more expensive cause its still pro camera, thats why it was sitting in a bag , it is a bargain as far as fullframe video camera, price dropped quite a lot recently.

baladev

Audionut

This needs to stop, right here and right now.

Criticism regarding the coding style was hashed out in the other thread.  And while the tactics used by the OP in that thread left a lot to be desired, he did make a good point.

Clearly, because the post above about Santa Claus is clear trolling.  Nothing more, nothing less.

This nonsense about further criticizing the fact that not all development work is made public, is exactly that, pure utter nonsense.  Take a guess at how much code a1ex has sitting in his own personal development environment.

Work together, or leave each other alone.

2blackbar

I thought they were kinda joking sarcastically, Im sorry if i contributed to that, i totally respect that some coders have their own rules and style that might clash at times and both of them have valid points IMO, i have both cams( EOS M and 5D2) and leaving 5D2 in a bag was mostly financial decision, I take it out on special occasions cause i can record less RAW with it , i also assumed lack of lossless compression was because development stopped long time ago since its a camera from 2008 with digic IV.Im excited for new anamorphic and lossless on M and 5D2 , my CF card is on its way.

berechiah

Great new guys I got the 5d2 in the end

I was originally a 5d3 guy but I sold it cuz I was so pleased with the eos m

But also it was a lit of money back in my pocket too and the EOS m was just quarter the price or even less

But I did miss a big DSLR feel

So I am now the owner of the 5d mark 2
And I love it

I will deffo keep both. Cameras
100%

Look every one working on these cameras are totally genuinely honest geniuses

Who dose what and what dose who it is not that it's a statement
A statement that you are people who knows what you want and dose it. Your the 0.00000000000001 percent

In my mind your total heroes
I ma just the normal public but your work is alllllll over the globe

Be encouraged
It totally blows my mind how ye can do this sort of thing

All I can say is I'm eternally grateful for people like ye

ZEEK

There's always going to be a debate between Canon ML Capable cameras. Just get the one that fits your needs.
I've had a Canon 5D3, 5D2 (X3), Canon 6D, T3i and now an EOS M which in my opinion is my favourite out of the bunch. With the EOS M, you get the best of both worlds, Apsc & ~ Full Frame with a speed booster, a convenient form-factor, more lens choice, cinematic image, easier use of 16mm 2x anamorphic adapters etc. RAW Footage from the EOS M can look quite similar to the TRUMAN SHOW which is the type of vintage look I dig...lol.   
EOS M

masc

Quote from: ZEEK on June 22, 2019, 03:27:03 AM
Just get the one the fits your needs.
+1
Quote from: ZEEK on June 22, 2019, 03:27:03 AM
With the EOS M, you get the best of both worlds, Apsc & ~ Full Frame with a speed booster, a convenient form-factor...
Yes and no... you get the best of APS-C, but not fully of Full Frame. The speedbooster works best for lenses >=50mm, so for what you use most (ZEEK). EOS-M, wideangle lens and Speedbooster looks often like a toycamera (unsharp edges + lots of CA's, visible on the 3" screen already without zooming, but it feels like the double moiree in the image center compaired to 5D2). No such problems on the 5D2.
For the 5D2 footage, I never needed to sharpen in post. EOS-M footage needs it, this again produces moiree. I also like the form factor of the 5D2 more... my hands are too big for the EOS M, and also for the M with additionally grip. And the EOS M needs extra weights if you want to use it with a Glidecam (in a setup where you use the full available inertia).
Another point: focus... it is sooo much easier to focus with AF lenses on 5D2. And also for manual lenses: I really miss the "+" button on the M (when filming in 3x3 mode). Magic zoom is by far not that good, which is the way to go on M.

So as you said: "Just get the one the fits your needs."
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

Hmm....I have never experienced "lot's" of Chromatic Aberration with a Nikkor 28mm and a focal reducer, or even at all unless you mean wider than that focal length. It does produce a swirl which some may or may not like. AF is easy and quick for focus on the subject, but not tracking. 5DII, of course, wins in the full-frame aspect, but the EOS M definitely looks nice with a focal reducer. Zooming is super quick and easy with just the press of the info button to enable magic zoom and press it again to take it off. The 5D2 I noticed had a greater dynamic range which I really loved with that camera. They're both good options, but for those choosing one or the other, buyers really need to decipher between what they really want out of a camera to suit their needs. Oddly enough, some people prefer a Panasonic G80/G85 over a BMPCC.
EOS M

masc

Quote from: ZEEK on June 22, 2019, 12:19:24 PM
Oddly enough, some people prefer a Panasonic G80/G85 over a BMPCC.
Never will understand those Panasonic and Sony fanboys.  ;D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

baladev

Funny how a simple question can sometimes trigger a discussion like this..

I love EOS M a lot (have three of them), but to me its strength is small size. Adding an adapter (which has the same thickness) and then attaching a large EF lens to it defies the purpose because it makes the final setup large again. I would rather use 70D or something because the length would be the same and the width just a bit more. I considered Viltrox EF-EOS M2 adapter recently, but after watching this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZV7iVXmHE) I decided against it - it degrades image too much. Can't stand the softness overall and especially in the corners (at large apertures) and ugly violet CA around high contrast edges (see 12:44 in the video where he shows some trees against bright sky). Some people are less sensitive to these things, I guess.

Metabones recently released their own focal reducer for the M mount, but at $480US it's not exactly a bargain, though I expect it to be much better optically.

To me personally, if larger apertures are needed, EOS M should be used with those 7artisans/Meike/Kamlan primes, which are relatively inexpensive and keep the final setup small. I'm planning to get Kamlan 28mm F1.4 or Meike MK-35mm F/1.4 because they have good reviews.

Overall, as it stands atm, we don't have a perfect camera for ML, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. 5Dm3 is the best overall, but it doesn't have DP auto focus. 70D has it, but can't do 3x3 binning (as the rest). EOS M is small but its focusing system isn't the best. This is why I personally have different cameras and use them differently.

I would never use EOS M as the main camera to film a paid job. It just looks silly, like if you are using a compact or something :o. But it's great for run and gun situations.

2blackbar

All are frames from 1080video ,35-70mm manual zoom at 35mm with booster wide open, if you have hight expectations dont buy booster but if you like vintage look ,shallow dof and more light then do it.
I dont think its made to shoot for large prints with it, but for 1080p videos - best thing you can buy for M.
Its strange for me to chat about M on 5D2 topic and recommend it , of course M has better corners without booster so you always have option to shoot with or without and on 70mm i dont have soft corners with booster cause theyre probably offscreen .

masc

@baladev: I also watched this review, but it is kind of stupid, because it tests more two different lenses than the viltrox speedbooster. The 50mm is very soft in comparison to the 32mm, you can see this in other tests. On a 5D the 50mm is not way better, maybe a very little in the boarders, but not much.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

berechiah

Hi there just wondering where can I download the latest 5d mk 2 magic lantern firmware

Is there new downloads available

masc

Load 3 different versions from download section, or from experimental builds or from here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg182476#msg182476
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

berechiah

Nice 1

Thanks for that I'll get that now

I really appreciate the reply

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Veerle on July 11, 2019, 03:30:32 AM
- Safe Magic Lantern Build (no raw video)

I suppose you mean "Stable Magic Lantern v2.3". Outdated, no longer supported and considered to be unsafe for a long, long time.

- Nightly Builds (raw video)
aka: main builds.

(and access to older builds)
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> Select your cam -> Blue button bar at the bottom "Older Builds"
More compact overview (not an "official" way to access them): https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/

I guess my question is: what 'type' of builds are now available, and where can we find them (and their older versions)?
(safe/ nightly builds/ experimental/ ...)
Main = mostly called "Nightly" -> Top of page -> Downloads
Experimental -> Top of page -> Downloads
And custom builds supported and built by danne, dfort, reddeercity (to name a few). Links found in several threads and (in most cases) in their bitbucket repositories.
Link to reddeercity's 5D2 thread

Also, on the Downloads> Experiments page it says "Therefore, it's important to give it a good try on all functions, not just Lua, so we can include it in the nightly builds." But the nightly build don't seem to have been updated in a long time, or am I missing something?

No, you got it right.

yourboylloyd

... I'm honestly a bit confused on where to find the latest build.

I feel like this has been hard on a lot of people (me too at first). There hasn't been an update on the latest page for a while and if you want the super duper experimental builds then you have to look in the forum.

But basically everything that Walter said is what I've been doing and having to explain to people.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Tranetor

Hello,
Is it possible to chose one image in 9-images-preview mode (green area on image) if buttons - and + don't work?