Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobarry

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on September 04, 2018, 04:15:02 AM
For those of you who are a little worried the workflow is beyond your depth, it's not hard at all.
Here's what I did:

A: Downloaded magiclantern-Nightly.2018Sep02.5D2212.zip from waza: https://bitbucket.org/waza57/magic-lantern/downloads/

B: Deleted the files on my card, copied the build files over, and went through the installation process.

C: Loaded the modules adtg_gui / crop_rec / mlv_rec & rebooted.

D: Enabled Crop mode in the Movie menu, and selected 3.5k 1:1 centered x5.

E: Enabled Raw video (MLV), went to liveview, and pressed the zoom button once to enter 5x mode.

F: Entered settings on the Raw video module and scaled my resolution up to 2880 x 1080.

G: Set my bit depth to 10bit and pressed record!

Followed this and the footage looks great on my computer! But when I zoom into 5x to shoot, the LCD only shows a frozen image with pink tint, so there's no way to use the live view for framing. What am I missing?

Also using a Komputerbay 1000x 64gb card and I'm able to record for about 20s before a dropped frame.

reddeercity

Do not load the ADTG_GUI.mo , it's only for development .
First disable fps frame override in the magic lantern menu also I set  liveview to 30p in the canon menu . (not sure if that make a difference or not)
In mlv_rec menu  , set preview to ml B/W (low rez) & when you record you should have a frozen black & white low rez liveview & should return to
unfrozen after recording stops .

goldenchild9to5

WOW.. Great job @reddeerciity @a1ex @waza @greg

dariSSight

I'm on a shoot in 4 hours PLEASE HELP QUICKLY!!! When I take out my Magic Lantern Card or hold down set button to disable Magic Lantern, my external screen display my Canon 5D Mark II screen but with magic lantern on I get NO SIGNAL on External Monitor?
Canon 5D Mark II

domasa

@dariSSight
Do not waste time. Record it without ML.

dariSSight

I would never waste time, but I still would like to solve a problem. PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU GUYS KNOW IF THERE IS A RESOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE. Monitors work perfect without Magic Lantern Active, but I would love to have monitor as I'm Filming. I will use old firmware to see if it's because I'm using latest 10/12 bit Firmware. With All Your Great Minds PLEASE Give Me Solutions.
Canon 5D Mark II

benoit

I report here post #314 in "Re: 3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development" thread that liveview is broken so it's possible that on external monitor is the same problem, isnt 'it ? Do you use this latest build ?

Quote from: benoit on October 25, 2018, 03:15:17 PM
I tested a 10bits 2752x1080 file and it is ok but liveview is frozen during recording.

a1ex

@dariSSight: look in the Modified menu.

If your monitor is a SD one (not HDMI), look for Headphone Monitoring. This feature works by keeping the image on the internal LCD and sending the audio signal outside the camera via the A/V cable. Last time I've checked, there was some on-screen feedback when plugging the A/V cable in this configuration.

reddeercity

Sorry didn't see this , I'll have a look at this tonight . 

reddeercity

Ok tried to reproduce @dariSSight issue
Quotemagic lantern on I get NO SIGNAL on External Monitor
Tested with the latest 10-12built

Magic Lantern raw_video_10bit_12bit.2018Oct10.5D2212
Camera   : 5D2
Firmware : 212
Changeset: db4ee396f4a2 (raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState) tip
Built on : 2018-10-10 14:11:49 by jenkins@nightly

Everything work as expected , thou mlv_lite did give me a little trouble .
A couple of times the external monitor (hdmi 1080i) did fail to get a signal
on reboot with hdmi connected , but I just re-freshed the connection by un-plugin
then plugin the cable back in , but no more then 2 times then all good.
mlv_rec didn't show any issue , and by rebooting with the hdmi connected
the image is more stable (very little to no pink/flashing sheering frames) even with mlv_lite .
But still not recordable to hdmi hard drive recorder ( frame sheering on lower half of image , very noticeable on quick pans)

But if you "Force hdmi to VGA" (480p)  you can get a clear image without pink/flashing frames .

I had no problem bypassing magic lantern (press set button when the power switch is turn on)
with hdmi monitor connected , and I always had a signal to the hdmi . 

So without more details (cams setting , mlv_rec ?,  monitor connection , etc. ... ) there really no way to diagnose this .

I did see mlv_rec more stable @ 1080i then mlv_lite , thou at reboot with hdmi connected
both seem to have better/stable image with mlv_rec being almost perfect .
There so much overhead now that 1080i is just too much to handle .
I did notice in mlv_lite if you set preview to FrozenLV with hdmi connected the image seem to get very stable
not perfect (still has a delay lower frame sheer , but not as bad as with "auto preview"  for Liveview

dariSSight

I'm going to take screen shot of my Canon setting as well as my ML setting then post them, I'm extremely sure that this inquiry will answer external monitor complication with 5D Mark II from this day forward. Will post screenshot in next few minutes within this hour.
Canon 5D Mark II

dariSSight

Here We Go! All my setting on Canon Menu, Magic Lantern Menu and LiveView showing that monitor works with Magic Lantern Disable, but No Signal on Monitor when Magic Lantern is Enable. Also I'm using RCA right now but when I'm out in the field same from HDMI. PLEASE HELP

Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

What the heck with all the these screen shots   ??? , they have nothing to do with the external monitor.
From I can tell here SD video (720x480) RCA Composite connection -- only work without magic Lantern .
With magic Lantern external monitoring is only available with HDMI . So If you what monitoring just use HDMI .
I can't tell you why it like this , maybe something to do with audio -- if you look at the screen when connect
the RCA , it says "HEADPHONE CONNECTED" so I'm betting the that connection has being re-map to output head phone audio only.
This is out of may hands , sorry for your luck.

Edit: Read userguide#headphone_monitoring .
You need to do more searching & and try to figure it out .

a1ex

Hm, that setting was enabled by default and untouched since 2011. That's why it doesn't appear in the Modified menu.

Extremely easy coding task.

dariSSight

My Apologies for the Detail Screenshot deluge, but when asking for assistance I feel one should be very accurate and informative with all setting, this will allow you guys to see what the average user is doing in setting. Please advise me if my setting are correct for getting the best use out of Magic Lantern as we find solution for monitor issue, I turned off Headphone Monitor and I see feed but no HDMI signal. Do you think I have HDMI issues and how do I check to see if my HDMI Jack on my camera is burn out or has a shortage?
Canon 5D Mark II

Walter Schulz

Sorry, please clarify:
Do you have HDMI connection when using cam without ML (pressing SET during power-up or use non-bootable card. And do *not* connect any cable to A/V out for this test!)?

dariSSight

No signal with HDMI when push button (Set) to disable Magic Lantern and No HDMI signal with non-bootable card, also only cable connected is the HDMI cable.
Canon 5D Mark II

Walter Schulz

Do you have proof monitor and cable are ok? Preferable tested with another 5D2 ...

dariSSight

When Filming with 10/12-bit RAW video Experimental Firmware, are you filming FHD or Using most of the Sensor when filming 1:1 Ratio or Should I be recording in 3:2 Ratio to get FHD? Is there massive different in the 10bit vs 14bit?
Canon 5D Mark II

Stiego

Just installed the latest version from the Magic Lantern website for the 5DMKII. I followed all the information on the options for the Canon menus, and which modules to install for MLV video. I am managing to shoot video of almost 30 seconds at the 2:1 ratio 1856x956 having used the information from this video https://vimeo.com/83449475. The CF card is the Komputerbay 64gb 1066X.

The issue I'm having is when I either try to play it back in camera or import it to my computer the footage looks very jello and has frame tearing. I'm no expert but it looks like some issue with the rate of information that the camera is recording?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated, thanks.

markus82

Hello,

is it possible to focus in LiveView with AF-Modus "QuickModus" with half pressed shutter button instead of the AF-ON button.

Markus

joanllm

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on September 04, 2018, 04:15:02 AM
All these days lurking have finally paid off! Thanks for your hard work keeping the dream alive reddeercity, waza, a1ex, and greg!

For those of you who are a little worried the workflow is beyond your depth, it's not hard at all.
Here's what I did:

A: Downloaded magiclantern-Nightly.2018Sep02.5D2212.zip from waza: https://bitbucket.org/waza57/magic-lantern/downloads/

B: Deleted the files on my card, copied the build files over, and went through the installation process.

C: Loaded the modules adtg_gui / crop_rec / mlv_rec & rebooted.

D: Enabled Crop mode in the Movie menu, and selected 3.5k 1:1 centered x5.

E: Enabled Raw video (MLV), went to liveview, and pressed the zoom button once to enter 5x mode.

F: Entered settings on the Raw video module and scaled my resolution up to 2880 x 1080.

G: Set my bit depth to 10bit and pressed record!

It does not work for me, following all the steps but the image that comes out is defective...

https://ibb.co/9GFB6gv

reddeercity

Use the new updated build 3008x1080 from here , there a simple picture tutorial to follow

joanllm

Quote from: reddeercity on February 11, 2019, 06:07:00 AM
Use the new updated build 3008x1080 from here , there a simple picture tutorial to follow

Thanks, it works! Great job, it seems that this camera can record at this quality!!

alexktb

Or maybe someone of you still has firmware version 2.0.8, could you share it?