Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Quote from: JakeEllerbrake on May 15, 2016, 01:18:25 AM
Is there any way to realistically record RAW for minutes at a time on a 5D2?  I've heard you can't record more than a few seconds.
Really ! you can't be serious right .  And when did hear this about the 5D2 ?
Did you even take the time to search the for your answer ?
Maybe a good start would be to Read the first page of the 5D2 thread and go from there.

termick

Hi Everyone,

just installed a new ML version to my 5Dmk2 to test out raw shooting. I've completely followed a tutorial and installed the 63b2f145cb3b.zip file, which is the 2014-02-14 version.
It installed well, but after putting the raw_rec.mo ON, after rebooting nothing happens. It still shows the same message: will load at next reboot and no raw settings appears at the camera section.

What did I wrong? Thanks for helping out!

Walter Schulz

Don't mix up stuff intended to be used with nightly builds and totally outdated installation instructions.
Format card in cardreader, format card in cam and proceed as described here:
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> 5D2.212

ilia3101

I'm still new to magic lantern and the 5D mark ii, I'm enjoying reading the development threads, 10 or 12 bit raw sounds very exciting. Ive been wondering though, why has the resolution been limited to 1856 from 1872(or 1880)? any chance of it going back? I have searched the forum for answers, but I couldn't find anything relevant, although I'm sure I'll someone will tell me that I don't know how to search. Also playing around with silent pictures the resolution is not the standard canon 5616, but 5632, and according to mlrawviewer, 5792, so if the sensor really has 5792 pixels width, could the mark ii potentially get full 1080p raw? as 5792/3 ≈ 1930

Wish I had development skills.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Ilia3101 on June 11, 2016, 06:31:49 PM
Ive been wondering though, why has the resolution been limited to 1856 from 1872(or 1880)?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17095.msg165793#msg165793

Quote from: Ilia3101 on June 11, 2016, 06:31:49 PM
could the mark ii potentially get full 1080p raw? as 5792/3 ≈ 1930

Nope. 1080p available in crop mode, though.

dalifen

I'm sorry, maybe it's obvious, but I haven't found anything with a search function here about a topic.

When monitoring sound during live view on 5D2 I only hear left channel, is it a problem of my very camera, or it's normal and I mis a cable with some special wiring? (rca to phone jack adapter or a sesscom cable - don't have clue what is it, or what the wiring inside should be, respectively)

toprak

I loaded the last nightly build 2016-06-13 and I can't take RAW Video or MLV.
I reformatted my card in PC and in camera load the modules erased settings in menu and put video settings nothing worked. I can record video but noy RAW or MLV ones ...

On the ML menu I have RAW video On, 0x0 for MLV the same. On, 0x0 I can't choose any resolution. (I did before and recorded already in RAW or MLV.

I have two cards san disk Extreme pro 32 gb.

If no answer I will try an older build and see. :))

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

Activate MLV_REC.mo.
Activate movie recording in Canon menu! Manual Chapter 7 "Preparing to Shoot Movies"
Restart cam.
Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV) ON

Report results.

toprak

@Walter Schulz
Thank you for your answer Walter :)
movie recording Canon menu > done
mlv-rec.mo > done
restart > done
RAW video (MLV) ON > done

I got :
RAW video (MLV) ON, 0x0  in gray color and not white (At the bottom, written in orange "This feature only works in video mode" despite the fact that I'm already on video mode on the LCD

When I put "Q" key i got :
Resolution 0x0 in gray color

If I want to choose a resolution (any of them from 640 to 3520) I got :
At the bottom the statement : "resolution" is not possible in current video mode (maw 0) and the same phrase in orange. Despite the fact that the video mode on Canon menu is 1920x1080 24 im/s

I get the same results for RAW recording.

An if I want to the take a video, it's the Canon menu that works. 1920x1080 24 im/s H264.

I already tried older builds even the the ones with which I've already took RAW MLV videos. It doesn't work either.

I made a benchmark with the card on read and write it's ok (buffer 16384k, global draw on, write : 86.6 MB/s, read : 103.9 and 3906k w:78.6 and r: 94.5)

Don't know what went wrong ?

toprak

@ Walter Schultz
I just saw something which may be not normal.

When I format from Canon menu it reinitialise the ML from exec.bin instead of erasing it to return to Canon firmware. I have always the ML nightly instead of Canon menu only.

If I remember well When I format from the camera it erases ML configuration and turns back to Canon menu.

This is what I'm going to make :
- Erase ML setup and exec.bin on PC
- Reinitialise on the camera and put the new build 2016July09 (That's a build done on my birthday there has to be some kind of gift on it ! Doesn't it ;)) )
- And I'll comeback with the results.

Walter Schulz

Thank you for your latest post "How to semi-brick your cam".

Please read screen messages and Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide and FAQ.
And: No, you don't remember well.

toprak

Thank you for your help Walter.

toprak

jpt823

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm stuck on installing ML on the Mark2 for the first time. I followed every direction and step I could find for preparing/installing, current Canon firmware is installed, all files from ML zips placed into CF card root folder, watched videos on installing, etc. I also made my CF card (Delkin 32gb UDMA 7 1000x) DSLR bootable from Macbooter just in case. I have tried various nightly builds, and nothing is working. Here is the message I see everytime I try to install it:
"Firmware update program: Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."

What am I missing here? Any help, tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Walter Schulz

Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Run firmware update.
Report results.

jpt823

@Walter Schulz

Thanks for replying! I did those steps numerous times before with no luck. I don't know what I'm missing, here.

Walter Schulz

Show a screenshot of card's root directory.

dariSSight

Make sure you format CF card in Camera
Then take CF card out of camera
Put in CF card reader
Then install nightly build
Put back in camera
Then go to firmware update
Then update then follow installed memos.....
Canon 5D Mark II

slingbacker

Hi all,

Did anyone get dual iso working on the 5D2?
I've used dual_iso.mo, it's created dual iso MLV but nothing seems to be able to accurately process the images.
The interlaced MLV's then dng's look like normal pre-processed dual iso images but then when I process them they turn low res and the colour goes crazy...
I've tried MLP, MLVFS, lightroom.
Any ideas?

Walter Schulz

Try latest cr2hdr first.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0
If it doesn't work upload misbehaving Dual-ISO file (unprocessed) somewhere and link it here.

Danne

If mlvfs won,t work I doubt it will work at all with that file. MLP runs with the latest cr2hdr version but it has no support for 5D mark II  afaik.

jpegmasterjesse

I had some mixed-luck with MLP!  I haven't tried it for a few months, but I think MLP was the only one that produced a non-interlaced HDR image.

reddeercity

I've been testing & using Dual ISO Video since March/'16  This is the cr2hdr experimental  that works for 5d2 when Dual ISO Video got implemented I put it in my dropbox link below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s68ti20q17sc57n/cr2hdr_experiment_2016-03-17.zip?dl=0
there both PC & Mac Version , I have no problem extraction processed dual ISO frames with MLVFS PC or Mac , I like the PC's BarracudaGUI for processing dual iso frames very fast.
Here's the start of the thread BarracudaGUI for cr2hdr dual iso raw post-processing (Windows XP/7/8)  and here the download link to all versions https://bitbucket.org/0xsepa/barracudagui/downloads/

There are limitations to dual ISO video on 5d2 so please read thought Video - dual iso for 5D2   thread e.g. like liveveiw freeze up , FYI there's really only 2 maybe 3 ISO ranges that are effective
( 100-800 , 100-1600 & 200-1600 ) 200-1600 can be a problem to process , had some issue so mainly use 100-800 and sometimes 100-1600 but 1600 tens to be too noisy for my likening

jpt823

Greetings! Last month I posted a couple messages with issues installing ML on my 5D2. I have followed all steps from the instructions on this site and from a few of you that replied, but with no luck. So, instead of posting more messages or pics, I went ahead and posted a video of me going through the motions. Hoping this helps out! Thanks in advance!

marcbkk

Hello Everyone. I have two quick questions when running ML on a 5D Mark II please:

1 - I have focus peaking enabled in ML, but when I have the lens set to manual focus, and I am using live view, I don't see any focus peaking lines. Do I need to enable something else in order to get the focus peaking working?

2 - When I zoom now on a photo that has already been captured by the camera it first zooms all the way in to 100% zoom in one single click, rather than by small increments. It used to zoom in small increments a little at a time before I installed ML I believe. Is there a way to set the zoom to work the default way that it used to (in small increments) when running Magic Lantern?

Cheers...