Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasting Image

Lucky guess.  :D
I now have a .MLV and a .tmp in my 100EOS5D folder.
Last time I tried this I had .RAW files.
...confused...
Do you have a thread option for me to follow from here on out for Mac processing?
And Thank You Very Much for the reply!

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps you can look into either MLP or MLVFS (they work together virtually well) believe it or not ... They both work great on Mac's.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Lasting Image

Thanks Jedi!  I'll give it a try.

Lasting Image

... just noticed that I cant enable focus peaking while shooting raw video with the modules enabled as advised on the first page of this thread. Tried searching but can't find anything dealing with it. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

DeafEyeJedi

Sounds like you forgot to allow Global Draw to be enabled on during recording ... Check inside the Modules under Video section within ML menu.

Lasting Image

Do you mean under the overlay menu? Because there it says Global Draw is on - however it's not illuminated.

[EDIT] OK - focus peaking is working but I am curious why Global Draw is on but not illuminated. Sorry if that's too much of a noob question.

DeafEyeJedi

There is one under the Overlay Menu but also there's one under Movie>Raw Video (MLV) then click on 'Q' which will take you inside MLV module and then you can enable 'Allow' for Global Draw to be on while recording.

Lasting Image

Thanks, Jedi.
I'm still perplexed though. I haven't changed any settings but this last time when I looked at Global Draw under the Overlay menu it WAS illuminated. Oh well - in any case focus peaking seems to be working now. The next trick will be to get the camera raw filter in After Effects to edit more than just the first dng in the sequence. ...back to the search menu I guess...  unless someone here knows the answer!  :D :) :D

cmac

I think You can't edit more than the first image in a raw sequence with CR filter in AE. It just loads it as a sequence and adds that correction to each frame - unless You already have a XMP setting for each. To create one - You can open them in PS - just select a group or all and drop them in PS. Then in the Camera RAW there you can edit groups (by selecting several frames) or individual frames (khm-khm) and when youre ok with the corrections - click (DONE). This will create XMP file for each individual RAW file. Then when editing this RAW sequence in AE it will respect each individual frame XMP file. Still if You don't have a XMP for some - the settings made for the first frame will be applied.

waza57

Hello everyone.
From this post:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16854.0

I would like to hear from some testers to know if I'm going in the right direction.

So, for those who want to try dual_iso.mo for the 5D2 and video mode:

https://bitbucket.org/waza57/magic-lantern/downloads/dual_iso.mo

I think it's not yet perfect because sometimes the Screen freezes.
when it's appear I must to restart (take off the battery first) and disable dual iso to restart again.
I have to continue to improve this.
At your own risk of course

raf702

Is there a 4:3 mode for anamorphic shooting? I can't find any info on it. And can it desqueeze in live view? I appreciate the info!

Lasting Image

Hello,

On the first page of this thread, reply #5, there's a list of recording times. When "continuous" is mentioned in the chart, is it truly continuous or is the camera still limited to the 12 or so minutes of recording?

Walter Schulz

reddeercity

No , it depend on how fast the CF Card  ,There is no limit but wait a minute are you talking about H264 Or 14bit Raw ?
If raw then no limit , the only limit is your CF card speed .
No mater if the format is MLV or .Raw .
The longest take I took on my 5D2 was 16 min @ 1872x936 (55GB) for a interview
but at smaller frame size you can record longer

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16650.msg162823#msg162823

Lasting Image

Quote from: reddeercity on April 06, 2016, 07:49:13 AM

The longest take I took on my 5D2 was 16 min @ 1872x936 (55GB) for a interview
but at smaller frame size you can record longer

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16650.msg162823#msg162823

Now that I think about it, I probably don't want to do an hour interview in MLV if you have 55GB after only 16 min! I need a second camera so I can edit out when the 4GB limit is reached. And they say boats are holes in the water you pour money into. HA! ... if they only knew.  ::)

Luke Woods

hi guys new to ML as you may guess :-)

I am having a little difficulty understanding the tables here and how to select RAW in the ML or native 5D mk ii menu.

Dont be shy to give me a quick brief you guys :-)

Great work!

Kindly, D

Walter Schulz

Luke Woods

Thanks Walter - maybe I have the wrong build but I was referring to 4K RAW?

Fipes

QuoteI was referring to 4K RAW?

4k RAW timelapse?  :o

Walter Schulz

No problem: Press shutter and you have almost 6k. In photo mode.
In movie mode with MLV/RAW: Enter video/movie mode and press Zoom button for crop mode. Now adjust resolution.
No 4k there? Well, that's because ML can do wonders up to a limit.
And continuous recording in DCI 4k (24 fps) would require about 345 MByte/s and 5D2 would need 4 card slots to master this.

Where do you get the info 5D2 should be able to do this? Timelapse will be possible, though. See FRSP.

Luke Woods

Hi Walter - getting a little confused.

I have a 5D sr for large stills.

The race for 4K video has often referred to Magic Lantern as a good hack to 4K video -
Did I jump to conclude the 5D2 can do it and its the 5D3 really ? MOV or RAW?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Luke Woods on April 17, 2016, 09:20:00 PM
The race for 4K video has often referred to Magic Lantern as a good hack to 4K video -

And who is actually telling this after April, 1st? Links, please.
And don't point me to some stuff blown up to 4k in post or timelapse. We are talking about 4k@24, I suppose.

Another thread about this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16732.0

Luke Woods

Ok  8) looks like I am mistaken - thanks for your time all the same.

I will have to look up RAW shooting - and h.264
No idea about that :-) If you know a good source would be appreciative.

This looks like a good start https://goo.gl/Xct4pn

Cheers, L

bengibb

Apologies if this is a dumb question but is there a way to record in say 720p but not with a crop factor higher than 1.00? Just looking to record a smaller file but still need the width of the frame.

JakeEllerbrake

Is there any way to realistically record RAW for minutes at a time on a 5D2? I'm willing to invest in the heaviest duty cards, but even with a 1000x 128GB CF, I've heard you can't record more than a few seconds.