Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimping

Also, you may know this already, but after the install completes you need to turn the camera off and back on before the 20 second timer runs out on the ML install menu or it won't run. So as soon as it says install complete then turn your camera off and back on immediately. Don't take the card out yet either. So power off the camera, power it back on, wait a few seconds, then press the camera's menu button once, then press the trash can. See if that works. Just trying to offer ideas...

buggz

Hi,
Longterm ML user, I've always used the many functions for stills.
It's invaluable on the way I shoot now.
Never tried it for video.
Actually, never really used the video mode in my 5DMkII.
Shame too, it looks like I will be now.
My neice can sing really good!
Now I'm wanting to get a really good external audio recording device.

I have been trying the nighly builds and MLV_Rec using an old Transcend UDMA 32GB 400x card.
Needless to say, it doesn't work worth a flip, I was getting REALLY frustrated.
I just received my new Lexar Pro 1066x 64 GB card, configured it via page one of this thread, and viola, works great!
Thanks ML team, and contributors!

Now to learn all of this stuff.
Exciting again, cool!

I've read this thread a couple of times now, and I see it confirmed that Adobe Prrmiere Elements 13 does NOT work with either of the RAW CDNG, or DNG files.
Soooo, like it, or not, and I DON'T, I guess I'll be reluctantly using Adobe Premiere Pro via the lame credit card business model, sigh...
Longtime user of Photoshop CS3, CS5, CS6, an LR, STANDALONE versions!
No, let's not polute this fine thread with all that Adobe pro/con CC discussions here, I'm just sayin' to give a semi-background intro of myself.

Thanks for listening.

DeafEyeJedi

CC and even the good old CS6 works great with ML files (if used proper converters) especially with AE & PP... No need to update to the latest!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

[email protected]

How many frames per second can you record with dual iso in 5d mark II? Can you real 23,976?

Thanks

Dmac802

Have had a 5d2 for a while now taking stills and just started video when I discovered ML.  in playing around with the modules I discovered that the rawv1 module allowed for the longest recording time, but I can't seem to convert them into dng files in post on a windows 7 machine.  Didn't have any trouble with the ML raw module.  Any suggestions/help? 

How about some direction in finding great tutorials to help with the post processing too

reddeercity

Quote from: Dmac802 on August 05, 2015, 06:19:37 AM
Have had a 5d2 for a while now taking stills and just started video when I discovered ML.  in playing around with the modules I discovered that the rawv1 module allowed for the longest recording time, but I can't seem to convert them into dng files in post on a windows 7 machine.  Didn't have any trouble with the ML raw module.  Any suggestions/help? 
How about some direction in finding great tutorials to help with the post processing too
On PC there a few option's but the Best is "raw2cdng" http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.0
The best & stable version is 1.65
MLV Viewer to view .mlv (and .raw) files on windows (C#) http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0
This only convert to dng not cdng.
Here a video tutorial about raw2cdng workflow I did in Sept/2013 , It a little dated used Ver.1.30 but you should get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqLWSbF4AQ

Once you have your cdng image sequences, you can edit native in Premiere Pro cc 2015 or2014 Blackmagic Davinci Resolve or you
can make a Video file with After Effect cc with ACR (the very best result's) Etc....

Hope that Help's

Theward

Hi, I'm new to ML and am having a few teething problems. I'd really appreciate some advice for experienced users. I've installed numerous nightly builds using the method at the head of this thread (currently on 01 July 15). When transferrin the files to my mac (os 10.7.5) I get Unix Executable Files named M08-1427.MLV etc rather than Raw files. I'm therefore unable to convert them using RawMagic. What am I doing wrong?
I did make some progress by installing the older 'stable build' ML and shooting Raw_Rec rather than MLV which gave me workable raw files which were all bright magenta. 
I'm not a programmer and just want to find a reliable working method for shooting raw video.
Also there have been several requests for recommendations of a reliable build, I too would love such advice although there seems to be no clear answer so far.
I realise the potential is amazing and it's free at that. I'm just totally lost with it. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks.

Walter Schulz

toberleitner

hey guys,

when i record raw videos with my 5D2 using magic lantern v. 2.1.2-ml-v2.3, i sometimes have serious problems like blue and yellow colors at bright spots. what could be the problem?

Walter Schulz

Most likely blown channel -> Channel clipping.

gsanchez922

Hey guy what do you think go for 5D2 that already have ML or go for 7D2 and wait for ML?

dover

hi
anyone using autoexposure succesfully with any of the builds? this is the only reason why i want to use ml. it works great in the latest build, only problem is i cannot change aperture value in Manual mode, it only works wide open while autoexposure is ON. if i rotate the aperture wheel, aperture value is flickering in the viewfinder but it does not change. is there any previous build, where this works?
thanks

Walter Schulz

Have you tried to tweak the curves? Please take a snapshot of your autoexposure diagram.

dover

i tried default settings, haven't changed the curves. thanks!

Walter Schulz

Change first value for "AV Range"
Default settings will just try to do everything (well:almost, see diagram) wide open. You have to tweak it if you don't want that to happen.

dover

i tried to change av range to many values, no change. also tried to change lens aperture, tried different lenses. similar results.
too bad, i really like this function, kinda similar to Av+auto iso on canon with wider minimum shutter speed range,i just need to change that aperture value somehow :)

Walter Schulz

Photo mode M, set "AV Range" to "f/9.5 - f/16" (just for the fun of it) and retry. Maybe you have to press shutter half for some time to make it work.

dover

i'm in M mode, f9.5-f16 did not work either. now my minimum aperture is f10. cant go any higher or lower.
when i try to spin the wheel which changes the aperture in Manual mode, for a millisecond it shows the changed aperture, but it will reset back to the AV range's minimum value in no time..cant change the shutter speed either, same flickering issue, but it doesn't really bother me because i can set the min shutter speed value.

Walter Schulz

There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding. Autoexposure mode is Automode (P-Mode) on steroids. You have not that much a chance to set anything on the fly in M mode. Computer takes over, Skynet is activated and no John Connor around.
You may adjust parameters, that's all.

Maybe you want to take a look into "Expo Lock" instead.

dover

i thought this was a solution for canon 5d II's stupid auto iso limit of 400 in manual mode. or not being able to change the minimum shutter speed value in Av mode with auto iso, unlike in newer canon cameras, like 6d, 70d, 5d3...
it almost works like that, but i can only set the aperture (AV range's bottom limit) in the menu? so if i want to shoot at f4 instead of f1.8 with auto iso, i have to go to the ml menu, to change the av curve...otherwise i can't change aperture value with the wheels. i thought this was a bug, and not on purpose. whats the reason for using this autoexposure mode than? its basically similar to Av+auto iso on canon without the oppurtunity to change the aperture setting on the fly.

Walter Schulz

Take a look into "Expo Lock" and report back, please.

dover

using it with autoexposure? doesnt seem to change a thing.
if i disable autoexposure, the whole auto iso 400 limit comes back.

Walter Schulz

No, not together with autoexposure ...
Turn off Auto ISO in Canon menu and use Expo Lock.

dover

thanks for your time btw. i have been playing with this expo lock for a while, its not the same function im looking for.
maybe we are talking about two different things.
what i am looking for is the same function as auto iso on any mirrorless camera, or nikon or newer canons. and as i can see in other 5d2 forums, many ppl switched to newer canons because of this feature.
for example in M mode, you set whatever shutter speed you like, along with any kind of aperture. you enable auto iso, and the camera will choose the suitable iso value depending on lighting conditions.
or similarly in Av mode, if you set minimum shutter speed value (auto iso menu) of 1/250, and enable auto iso in the range of 100-12800, camera will choose the suitable iso for the situation and aperture value, and makes sure shutter speed is not slower than 1/250, if it would be, it increases iso.
so you dont have to bother with setting iso in any mode, metering and the camera will take care of it...such a useful feature when shooting without flash.

but the 5dII has an autoiso high limit of 400 in M mode, and no option to change the minimum shutter speed with auto iso in Av mode, making it unusable to shoot people for example, when you need faster shutter speeds. by default in Av, auto iso on, 5d2 will choose the minimum shutter speed, according to the focal length of the used lens...1/80 for 85mm lens. not good for shooting ppl. so you have to manually set the iso in Av mode and M mode too.
canon cameras are different in this regard, for example 7d can do auto iso in M mode, without the 400 upper limit. but no minimum shutter speed feature in Av mode.
newer ones can do both...not as many options like on fuji cameras, but they work.
so i guess its not possible to unlock this auto iso 400 limit in M mode.