Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

"So when I install the ML firmware on my Lexar 1066x card, the card runs ML when it's in but if I switch back to a completely different card the camera will function as normal? So basically you make 'ML cards'?"

Yes. You can also start the camera without loading ml if you hold in the "set" button while it is turning on.

lexalotacus

Thanks for that info, Im working on some stuff right now.. No lights yet, but after midterms I have some pretty cool Ideas and was looking for people to collaborate on with some music stuff.. I AM however having to get rid of some color artifacting with the 2014.2.14 build.. Maybe it's not so good in low light with a zeiss 50mm planar1.4?
Thoughts? Anyone want to do something awesome? I can get gallery and press for free through my school B)

adrianlambert

Hi I've just installed magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar25.5D2212.zip but now my top dial button isn't functioning. Any ideas?

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, remove card. Insert battery and startup. Is dial working now?

wman

I'm new to Magic Lantern but i've been reading lots of info about it. What i can't find any info about is how to make a low level format in the 5d mk2? I don't have that option in my camera. Second thing is if i need to have a stable version on the card before i put the nightly build on it? In some instruktions it seems like it and sometimes it don't.

Walter Schulz

First page -> first post -> fresh and valid installation instructions.

wman

Okay, så just a ordinary format? Sorry, don't want to break my camera. :S

Walter Schulz

reddeercity

@wman, You didn't save what your platform , PC or Mac ?
If you what to do a low level format in Windows7 etc... on the Cf-card right click to  format option Un Check the Quick Format option box.
That works up to 32GB Card for Fat32 but if you have a 64+ size cf-card that won't work as win os will not format a larger then 32 GB to fat32  it's only option will be
NTFS or exFat. I use a free HP utility called  "HP USB Storage Format tool" link --> http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4434-formatting-your-usb-flash-drive-with-hp-usb-storage-format-tool
And of course you format in your Camera Also.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Arwen on April 01, 2015, 01:05:21 AM
hi, I seem to have a problem with the latest nightly build (29.03)

You may change cam's date to 02.04.2015 (DD.MM.YYYY)

poromaa

Ouch. Got the same thing. Also got the blue screen. First some "funny" thing about taking a picture of the calendar of todays date... then the one with "bricked in it". Could not read, because it was flickering, and I figure to pull the battery instead.

Restarted it and Camera works, but It has been altered (bricked?) because I cannot get the ML to show up in LV.
Tried to restore camera settings, but this does not change anything. Tried booting camera with other card (old ML version), but same thing happens here. Pressing LV gives me live view, but no magic lantern. I can get to ML-menu by pressing trash, but I don't want to mess around anymore.

What is best practice from here? Install Canon original firmware before going back to old ML?

poromaa

HAHA first of april :D
Best prank ever

poromaa

The live-view thing was due to my resetting of settings... well its too late now. need to sleep. I got fooled.

Bye

jovansoft

I am in live view mode,I did everythng as written in ML and still can't record in raw,it says "this feature only works in movie mode"
I have a 5d mark 2 camera,help :)

poromaa

Under second tab in ML-menu "Expo" at the bottom, chose LV Display: Movie.
There is also a manual to be read under User Guide at the top right of this page.

FilmQuestions

Sorry for the newbie and perhaps irresponsible question as I just found Magic Lantern and this forum, etc.!

First, I want to say THANK YOU MAGIC LANTERN.

Do you think 1920 X 1080 24 fps will eventually be available in RAW for the 5D MKII? Right now that format is only available for the 5D MKIII or am I mistaken?

Thank you again so much

JoshuOne

The sensor size limits us from 1920x1080 without using crop mode. 1856x1044...We are really only talking about a few dozen pixels in either axis, so if you up-res in AE or something, it is really not noticeable. There is a thread called "current raw capabilities" that will let you know all of the maximums for all of the cameras running ML. Happy shooting!

gr8gaz00

Hello, Forgive me if this is already listed. I'm having a bit of a problem installing Magic Lantern on one of my MkII's. Both are running Canon firmware 2.1.2 However, I recently had to take one of the bodies into Canon for servicing to have the LCD replaced and noticed that the firmware is different on the two bodies now. Both are Canon firmware 2.12 however Magic lantern is no longer working on the one that was serviced. Magic Lantern seems to boot properly and I'm able to access the menus, however all the settings are greyed out. Upon further investigation I've noticed that the Custom Functions are different on both bodies in the Canon menu, Custom Function IV on the one that is not working has 7 entries, the last being "aspect ratio". On the one that is working there are only 6 entries on Custom Function IV. There is no aspect ratio. Could it be that Canon altered the firmware in any way? Any help on this would be appreciated as it is puzzling.

Cheers!
Walter

Walter Schulz

http://pel.hu/eoscard
Download firmware 2.1.2 file and run firmware update with it.
Retry ML installation and report

gr8gaz00

Hi Walter, I've reinstalled Magic Lantern and it's still the same, Magic Lantern loads, but all the settings are greyed out. For some reason the Canon firmware is different on two identical cameras, although they both show the same version in the about box "2.1.2". This is something I have not come across before and I'm puzzled. I've checked all the settings in the Canon firmware line by line on both bodies and they are identical with the exception of C.FnIV has an extra setting that the working one doesn't have; and that is a 7th entry under C.FnIV labeled "aspect ratio". I'm wondering if the replacement LCD has something to do with this. Can you please check to see if you body has this "aspect ratio" setting under the Canon Firmware menu? Thanks very much from one Walter to another  ;)

Walter Schulz

Did you or did you not reinstall Canon's firmware version 2.1.2?

gr8gaz00

Hi Walter,

Reinstalled on both bodies and still the same. A1ex PM'd me on this and I uploaded ROM dumps from both bodies along with screenshots of the differences in the C.FnIV menu's. I'll let you know what I hear from him.

Thanks again,

Walter

robertcook

I'm trying to record a 30fps LED/video light source.  At 30 fps, ML or my camera's deeper logic (not sure which) I get a maximum shutter speed of around 1/33.  This causes causes moving bands to appear both during monitor and record.  I would like 1/30th.

I saw there was a feature for fine tuning the shutter speed, but 5DII does not appear to have this capability.

Strangely, there have been times where I get 1/30 shutter speed - I was playing around with the mode wheel -- moving from Manual -> Av -> Tv -> Program and magically the bands went away and I was getting 1/30 shutter speed.  I haven't been able to replicate this.

It seems that there is some setting of FPS_OVERRIDE that with a particular resolution would give me 30fps with 1/30.  I will be capturing RAW, which means that I will be using some fraction of the frame.

a1ex

Try to use exposure override. Not sure about this particular case, but this feature enables shutter speeds close to 1/25 at 25 fps (while Canon firmware is limited to 1/30).

FPS override will also alter the shutter speed. You could try adjusting the FPS timers manually, until you match both the FPS and the shutter speed (on 5D2, both timers alter the shutter speed as well). The math behind this is described in fps-engio.c, get_current_shutter_reciprocal_x1000.

robertcook

Exposure override worked!  Once it was turned on, I was offered a 1/30.06 shutter speed which entirely removed the banding.  Thank you. :D