Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riwikidi

A clean install.
Compared the hist. in quickview with the one in "backview" they show a different graphic.
All the settings are as shown in http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12096.0 and incl. the tips above.

In the hist are sometimes E or D10.5 shown. But not the word RAW though

Walter Schulz

EDIT: Wait a moment! You are just missing the letters "RAW" inside RAW histogram? Please take a look at the other examples in the link you provided. Boy, this took long ...

Riwikidi

Hi Walter Schulz, first of all it is not me not believing you! It is me struggling to get this working.

I try to remember the graphic that pop ups direct after clicking,  and compare the histogram from embedded JPEG. They differ.

I am happy to sent a photo. I only posses 1 camera so i have to find someone to help.
You need this 2 stages photographed or is more required?
And i have no clue how to upload...

Audionut

RAW only shows when the other hints are not active IIRC.  If you're seeing the ETTR or DR hints, you have raw based histogram.

Make sure you have a RAW video module loaded and active when in movie mode LV.

Also, for camera display capture, look at the screenshot option in the debug menu.  This generates screenshots like the ones I created for the raw based exposure feedback tutorial.

Riwikidi

I see for example: D10.1 in hist  and -3.9EV in the middle.
The embedded jpg hist differs completely!

Riwikidi

"Make sure you have a RAW video module loaded and active when in movie mode LV."

I never will use video, but have MLV_REC running since i understand this is required.

"Also, for camera display capture, look at the screenshot option in the debug menu.  This generates screenshots like the ones I created for the raw based exposure feedback tutorial."

AHA that makes sense. Reckon i can find them with a card reader?! Thanks.

Riwikidi

"Make sure you have a RAW video module loaded and active when in movie mode LV."

Bloody hell, i think this was the problem! I put LV/Movie func + photo and movie in Canon menu active.
Now i can see a hist in LV. It is in the left corner down. Is in LV no zebra shown?

a1ex

Quote from: Riwikidi on February 08, 2015, 12:57:26 PM
I never will use video, but have MLV_REC running since i understand this is required.

You don't need it if you are shooting photos. You only need it if you want to shoot raw video (not photos). And you don't need it for raw exposure feedback in LiveView, if you are shooting photos.

In photo mode (in LV or not), you need picture quality set to RAW in Canon menu. Obviously, the camera should be in photo mode (NOT movie mode). ExpSim should be enabled for any kind of exposure feedback in LiveView (you mentioned it's off). If there are other settings required, they will be listed in ML menu, at the bottom.

Riwikidi

Thanks a1ex, i think i mastered it now... so far...  :)

deluxej

Maybe I'm missing something in this guide, but is there a way to download a stable release? The only thing I'm finding on the downloads page is the Nightly builds.

Walter Schulz

There is a way but "stable" is considered to be outdated.

deluxej

Do you know if it still works?

Walter Schulz

Yes, but you can't use newer findings (Dual-ISO, RAW/MLV video recording, SRM memory handling, AFMA, silent pics, ETTR, Autoexpo) and will not be able to use card >32 GByte for first ML installation.

deluxej

So what would be the best version for that?

Walter Schulz

sosantney

Hi .  I am a newbie to Magic Lantern Raw and just had some questions , hoping I could get some help.

I am using ML nightly build from Jan 29th 2015

I am using 1000x Komputerbay 64gb and followed instructions for ML Raw with Audio

I am unable to get past 10 seconds without it dropping. I also noticed when choosing resolution there no choice in the 1800 range beside 1857x1044.  Is that how it is supposed to be?

I've tried with Global on and off as well as card reader warmup. Still no luck

Any suggestions ?

reddeercity

Quote from: sosantney on February 16, 2015, 03:17:06 AM
I also noticed when choosing resolution there no choice in the 1800 range beside 1857x1044.  Is that how it is supposed to be?
For ver 2.0 Raw .mlv+audio frame resolution in 1:1 is "1856" no other "1800" resolution with that nightly build.
You need to go back to older nightly builds for more option in the "1800" range of resolutions.
Link to a post I wrote about possible resolution on 5D2 -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg136460#msg136460

This build will give you "1872 & 1856" with .mlv raw ver 2.0 
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D2.212/206/artifact/platform/5D2.212/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D2212.zip

This build is from Oct-24th2013 which will let record frame resolutions up to "1880" but only in Original Raw format version 1.0 ".raw"
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads/af9a60fe144d.zip

Quote from: sosantney on February 16, 2015, 03:17:06 AM
I am unable to get past 10 seconds without it dropping.
I've tried with Global on and off as well as card reader warmup. Still no luck
Any suggestions ?
It all depends on the resolution you are trying to  record.
The maximum  continuous resolution for 5D2 , at least from my experience is 1872x936 @23.976p + audio 48khz Or with the latest nightly 1856x928 plus audio
and with the Original Raw format version 1.0 1880x1016 23.976p

Also check your card speed as some of the Komputerbay CF card can not keep up. You will need a minimum of 70.1 MB/s write speed for 1872x936.
Maximum speed that the 5D2 can do is 79.8 MB/s with the odd speed burst to 82.0 MB/s

sosantney

"The maximum  continuous resolution for 5D2 , at least from my experience is 1872x936 @23.976p + audio 48khz Or with the latest nightly 1856x928 plus audio"

You said with the latest nightly build you are getting 1856x928 ?   I don't understand , I don't even see a option to choose 1856x928 in that nightly build.  Am I missing something here?  My card is writing over 70mbs which I think is good, it fluxuates.   

I am contemplating if it is even worth switching builds to shoot at 1880. You think it will make much of a difference?

Also- if there an option in ML to change Framerate?

reddeercity

Quote from: sosantney on February 17, 2015, 12:08:39 AM
You said with the latest nightly build you are getting 1856x928 ?   I don't understand , I don't even see a option to choose 1856x928 in that nightly build.  Am I missing something here? 
Go to the Movie Tab , with the Big wheel selector High Light the "Raw Video(MLV)" Tab, Press the "Picture Profile" button to enter the submenu.
Now you will see a list of option to adjust , high light "Resolution" use the small turn wheel by the shutter button to select frame size etc...
or press the "Start Button" to enter submenu.

I am contemplating if it is even worth switching builds to shoot at 1880. You think it will make much of a difference?
Not really, It depends on your project needs and Workflow
If you are looking for just the largest Frame Resolution (A.R.1.85:1-1880x1016, A.R.16x9-1880x1058) then .raw Version 1.0 is the one to use.
Or even in 3x Crop mode with original format ".raw" you can get 2048x1024 for around 60 seconds ! or 2048x930 continuous, but No Audio which is not to big of a problem if you has a clapper board & master the audio to a exterior PCM recorder etc...

If you need Audio for e.g."Run & Gun"style video or your workflow needs the extra metadata that .mlv generates(TimeCode, ISO, Expose, Lens Info etc..) for Grading programs like Blackmagic Resolve or Adobe SpeedGrade  and the smaller resolution 1872,1856 @ A.R. of 2:1 is acceptable then Version 2.0 .mlv is for you  ;D

Also- if there an option in ML to change Framerate?
In Movie Tab high light "FPS override" press "picture profile" button to enter the submenu .
Normally I have My 5d2 set to "Exact FPS" @ 23.976 from 24 fps
The highest frame rate  you can push the 5d2 is 35 fps as long as the Canon menu is set to 30P
or as low as 0.150 fps but never tried that low , have heard of people record at 0.250 fps with out problems.

FelixC

Hi everybody - even though this question seems so, generally I'm not stupid.. sorry for that question in advance, but I am desperate after hours of looking for the answer and not being able to change my ISO values while I am recording Video.

What settings do I have to set to be able to modify the ISO WHILE shooting? (Or is that not possible at all - on my 650 it worked all by itself.. now I got a 5D mii and can't? It has to be my fault!)

Thank you so much for your help!

reddeercity

I don't think its possible & why would you just Get a ND Fader Filter.
I would not do this but, you could set the ISO to "Auto" but with that you will introduce Noise
As you do not know what the ISO is .
Basically you what to keep ISO to multiplies of "100" e.g. 100, 200, 400, to 1600 anything other then that is Digitally Push of Pulled
So they are not clean(digital noise) , The 5D2 produces a Very clean low to no noise image at ISO 100 , 200 & 400

mothaibaphoto

No way to change ISO while shooting ML RAW.  :'(

FelixC

But how is it possible, that I can change the ISO values on ML on my 650D and not on the 5DM2?

What I have to film and why I can't stop the recording to change ISO is because..
I am shooting live concerts - sometimes outside in difficult situations (shade under a tent and the public is in full sunlight).
a.) If I change the shutter away from 50 I get artificial movements - so I can't do that
b.) If I change the blind diameter of the aperture I change the effect on the image that I want (what is in focus and blurry)
c.) ISO always seemed to be the best solution.

Actually it is only way i knew to switch back and forth between radically diffent light situations and which I always did on the 650D using the ML function exposure smoothing (or something like that) so it faded slowly from one ISO to the next. This function was/is perfect. But being on the 5DM2 I obviously have to find another way - if it is definite that ISO changes are not possible while I am filming.

How would you deal with this problem? What is the right way on the 5DM2 with ML to reduce or gain light while recording?
Will someone write a similar tool already existing for the 650D for the 5D, soon? Is this planed / is it possible / or will it never happen?

reddeercity

@felixC , Get a ND Fader for video I said this 2 posts ago.
I use a High End "ND Fader Filter" Not a "Circular Polarizer Filter" 2 different thinks here.
You can adjust the fader from 1/2-1 stop of Light to 8-10 stops of Light reduction .
So if you are @ 800 ISO for indoor Shot Like inside a tent then walk out in to the Sun light then just turn down the fader to expose on the fly
and get down to a equivalent ISO of 100 etc....
I do this at Outdoor events all the time, Specially when doing "Run & Gun" style video
Quote About stops of light from   http://jimdoty.com/learn/exp101/exp_big3/exp_big3.html
"One stop less light" means the amount of light has been cut in half.
Two stops less light means there is only 1/4 as much light, three stops less means 1/8 as much light and so on."

Hope this helps  :D

Sane__

Hello i'm using latest nightly build but can someone explain me why i can't get 1872x936 (2:1)
and i can get max 1856x844 in RAW 1.0 ? Also ,does someone have budget external monitor solution that works with magic lantern (at least for preview, not for recording, i've tried DSLR controller app , but it doesn't show the magic lantern menus) Thanks!