Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Insert card into cardreader. Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin (if there, of course). Copy extracted nightly build files to card. Retry and report.

Lasting Image

Still looking for MY workflow and finally getting around to having some ducks in a row -- Here's what I have:

5D 2 with SanDisk 64 GB Extreme Pro - 160 MB/s
MacBook Pro (2011) with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Mavericks
Full suite of Adobe CC including Ae and Pr
Not too sure if I want to go the Black Magic route (or if I need to) for conversion. When I look at their site it says I need:

"CUDA Driver version 6.5.18
NVIDIA Driver version – As required by your GPU
RED Rocket-X Driver 2.1.19.0 and Firmware 1.3.19.7 or later
RED Rocket Driver 1.4.36.0 and Firmware 1.1.17.3 or later"

Seriously?
Don't need the RED stuff, right? and the NIVIDA with latest CUDA...  ???  ...since I have the AMD Radeon don't think that's accurate...

What is there besides DaVinci Resolve that would give me good results?   ... I'm still every bit the Noob. 

Thanks for any replies.

poromaa

Quote from: Lasting Image on January 12, 2015, 11:12:24 PM

What is there besides DaVinci Resolve that would give me good results?   ... I'm still every bit the Noob. 

Hi,
My workflow is the following

1. film on SanDisk 64 GB Extreme Pro - 160 MB/s (two of them - swap every now and then)
2. transfer MLVs to computer put in same folder (for easy proxy creation 3b)
3. view the good takes with MLRawViewer (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0;topicseen) and tag it (i use finder's color labels for this)
      - MLRawViewer is a great viewer that runs in realtime without any conversion on my macbook air.
(3b optional). Create proxies (compressed versions of every file to be used for editing - not needed if project has few clips and is short.) This can be done from within the MLRawViewer by pressing Q and then X (or press export, chose the mov-file, not dngs)- Will create one *.mov file for each mlv-sequence in the folder. After you are done, move the mov files to new folder "proxy" outside of the mlv-dir.

4 run MLVFS (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0;topicseen)
      - MLVFS is a virtual filesystem that virtually creates DNGs from your MLV-files without conversion. It also does not take up any extra disk (!), only downside is that dngs might be slow playback in premiere or After effects (thats why I use step 3b)

5. Start Premiere/Davinci or AfterEffects and just add the clips from the virtual folder created in 4. If you created proxies (3b) cut the project with proxies and when done, replace footage with the virtually created DNGs.

6. Grade everything with speedgrade or After effects

(edit)
If it is a really short project like just a couple of clips, then you can skip step 3.

jaclarkaus

Quote from: stev3 on January 12, 2015, 09:36:48 PM
I put magic lantern on my 5Dm2 and it worked, until I turned it off, and tried to turn it on again. My camera was completely dead. I had a shoot the next day so I stayed up all night trying to find a solution. I changed the card and pulled the battery, then retried. Ahhh, thank god! But now, my 16G card is useless and I cannot reformat it because my camera is a brick with it in. Any solutions? Much appreciated!

Reformat it in a PC or Mac

Riwikidi

Hi how is it possible to review the ML histogram of previous made raw photos?
I only see the ML histogram of the just made photo, the previous are shown in Canon histogram only, which is based on a jpg, isn't it?

only RAW stills, 5d2, ML: 2015jan15.5d2212

Sane__

Hey i'm interested in dynamic range with 5d2 raw.Is it on par with bmpcc? Any idea how many stops?

Audionut

Quote from: Sane__ on January 24, 2015, 01:13:47 PM
Hey i'm interested in dynamic range with 5d2 raw.Is it on par with bmpcc? Any idea how many stops?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.0

Quote from: Riwikidi on January 24, 2015, 09:51:18 AM
Hi how is it possible to review the ML histogram of previous made raw photos?

No, not currently.  There is a thread about in the feature request section IIRC.

Sane__

Thank you! Last question i promise! Do you think it's worth it to buy 5Dmark2 or buy 7D , is the improvement in raw really noticeable?

reddeercity

Quote from: Sane__ on January 24, 2015, 01:13:47 PM
Hey i'm interested in dynamic range with 5d2 raw.
Any idea how many stops?
The maximum D.R. I have seen on My 5D2 is 11.0 Stops , as per "MLVBrowseSharp" info.

Quote from: Sane__ on January 24, 2015, 03:25:04 PM
Do you think it's worth it to buy 5Dmark2 or buy 7D , is the improvement in raw really noticeable?

I think 5D2 is far superior to the 7D & is much more stable, I have been using my 5D2  :D on Magic Lantern Raw video
for the last year without any problems with Audio & HDMI support on a regular basis.
And of course the 5D3 is superior to the 5D2 , it all depends on your needs & budget level.

Sane__

Thanks. My budget is kinda limited and my dilemma was between bmpcc ,7d and 5d mark ii.But with Bmpcc i will have to invest at least 1000$ to make it alright for my needs (speedbooster,batteries and cards)

NitromanX

Do you guys find the SanDisk 64 GB Extreme Pro much faster than the Komputer Bay 64 GB 1000x ?

I'm getting about 25 secs max, 1856 x 1044 PAL 25fps with Komputer Bay 64 GB on my 5D2 with Latest Nightly Build ...

Morku

Hi,
I always have a problem with the Nightly version of Magic Lantern. When I am recording a video, I always get "broken" frames after a random of time. Sometimes very often, sometimes luckly not...
It always appears as a brighter frame than the others.
This problem never occurs with the stable 2.3 release. It already happened with the nightly ~1 year ago. Now I came back, to find out that it still appears. This makes the Nightly for me still unusable :( But maybe I am doing something wrong myself?
To see what I am talking about, I uploaded a short video here (frame number 46):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtokcn1vpql8rdi/magiclantern.mp4?dl=1

I used a Canon 5D Mark II, FW 2.1.2 and Nightly from 28th january with SanDisk Extreme 60 MB/s UDMA 32 GB.
Here are my custom settings:

Thank you very much for any help!

walter_schulz

In which mode are your recording? H.264/MLV/RAW?
Which resolution/frame rate is set?

Morku

None of the modules are enabled. So I guess the standard h.264 of Canon.
Here the Info of the original mov file:
General
Complete name                  : D:\MVI_0001.MOV
Format                         : MPEG-4
Format profile                 : QuickTime
Codec ID                       : qt 
File size                      : 160 MiB
Duration                       : 26s 159ms
Overall bit rate               : 51.4 Mbps
Encoded date                   : UTC 2015-01-28 11:49:01
Tagged date                    : UTC 2015-01-28 11:49:01

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC         : No
Format settings, ReFrames      : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP           : M=1, N=15
Codec ID                       : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                       : 49.9 Mbps
Width                          : 1 920 pixels
Height                         : 1 080 pixels
Original height                : 1 088 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Original display aspect ratio  : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.803
Stream size                    : 156 MiB (97%)
Language                       : English
Color primaries                : BT.709
Transfer characteristics       : BT.709
Matrix coefficients            : BT.601
Color range                    : Full

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : PCM
Format settings, Endianness    : Little
Format settings, Sign          : Signed
Codec ID                       : sowt
Bit rate mode                  : Constant
Bit rate                       : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                     : 2 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L R
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                      : 16 bits
Stream size                    : 4.79 MiB (3%)
Language                       : English

Maybe it's also important to say, that I enabled Highlight Tone P. in the Canon settings.

Riwikidi

Hi, before i saw a message how to install ML on card and on camera.  I remember something like put in M- mode, and use full  battery, but can't find this info no more.
Did install method change?
Is it possible to put ML on the cf card when the camera is connected to an laptop? Instead of using a card reader?

walter_schulz

walter_schulz

Quote from: Morku on January 28, 2015, 12:28:55 PMNone of the modules are enabled. So I guess the standard h.264 of Canon.

Are you able to test with 2.3 "stable"? Just delete ML nightly folder and Autoexec.bin and copy extracted "stable" contents to card.

Riwikidi

??? Is this suposed to be an answer on my question???

walter_schulz  Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2
« Reply #265 on: Today at 08:02:21 AM »
Yes. No. No.

walter_schulz

dlrpgmsvc

With 5d2 latest build (and on in the future) do it is benefic to upgrade from 1000x CF to 1066x (and over) for more recordable raw video frames or do it worth not the expense? Do someone have comparations at hand? Many thanks!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Morku

QuoteAre you able to test with 2.3 "stable"? Just delete ML nightly folder and Autoexec.bin and copy extracted "stable" contents to card.
Yes. I record videos for over a year with the stable build and never have that "blinking" frames in videos. Just very often that annoying known microphone bug the first second and when I use the ML GUI in Live View the video can be hanging for 3 frames so I always use the standard Canon GUI.
The hanging frames also happened in a test video yesterday with latest Nightly, but much more annoying are the blinking frame...
Are there different hardware models who are unable for a good ML result?

a1ex

Find a way to reproduce and upload a video showing the issue. I'm not sure what to look for.

Morku

I did upload a video here. There you can see the issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtokcn1vpql8rdi/magiclantern.mp4?dl=1

Or are you interested in a original video?

a1ex

Does it help if you set ML digital ISO to 0?

Riwikidi