Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quote from: itaibachar on October 15, 2014, 07:42:27 PM
So whats the point of all this RAW thing if its flawed like that?
Other cameras (like 5D3) don't have this effect, because they don't do line skipping. You can purchase an optical filter to get rid of it, or you can shoot in 'crop' mode, or you can use a better demosaicing algorithm that is better at handling aliasing (you didn't mention what software you used to open the DNG). The amount of aliasing depends on the scene too. Perhaps your scene exhibited some bad aliasing, but that doesn't mean all scenes will be as bad.

jovansoft

I can't get my 5d2 to record above 21MB/s,even on lexar 1000 or sandisk 90MB/s card?
What can be the problem,i can upload benchmark,just say how?

itaibachar

Hey dmilligan
I used Resolve 11 and Photoshop, just to double check this.
What are the better demosaic software?
Crop mode is not a viable option for me.

itaibachar

Walter Schulz (how do you guys quote here?..)
I know h264 is @#$%.
I know raw is best, this is why ML is great,
but I geuss the 5dmk2 isnt the body for raw video.

reddeercity

Quotebut I geuss the 5dmk2 isnt the body for raw video

Not So,  Why do you think this?

I use my 5D2 for paid work since June 2013 with raw video , the  aliasing problem is not really a problem.
I would say maybe less than 5% of the video content  is effected by aliasing.(depending on subject matter)
I shoot New Stories/Documentary/Music green screen videos.
There is a few thinks you can do to minimizes or eliminate the issue .
Film in 3x Crop mode.( I do this 30% of the time)
Use Fast High Quality Prime lens (e.g. f1.4) , set aperture to f8 or around there to reduce the depth
of field a bit . ETTR (expose to the right) to almost high blow outs and in extreme circumstances
run the focus a touch soft.
Post processing also play in a big part, some program can make the raw footage look like crap
if you haven't master the whole workflow from filming to finish product you will always have poor results.
Ever Camera that Magic Lantern runs on can product amazing Raw Video Images ! (Line Skipping or Not) just each camera has a Sweet Spot
that you need to find, It Not for the light of heart , It take work and dedication.

itaibachar

reddeercity
Thanks for the explanation, I dont have the time to put into solving this problem,
cheers

Lasting Image

Quote from: reddeercity on October 16, 2014, 05:03:15 AM

Post processing also play in a big part, some program can make the raw footage look like crap
if you haven't master the whole workflow from filming to finish product you will always have poor results.

Some of the 5D2 RAW video I've seen is amazing! Can't wait to get started!
What is the workflow you like best? Any to stay away from? Any online tutorials you recommend?
I'm a bit surprised that lynda.com doesn't have one.

reddeercity

Quote from: Lasting Image on October 16, 2014, 04:16:48 PM
Some of the 5D2 RAW video I've seen is amazing! Can't wait to get started!
What is the workflow you like best? Any to stay away from? Any online tutorials you recommend?

For my paid work and because i need a fast turn around time, i choose two workflow .
First i use the Raw-->Cdng-->After Effect-ACR plugin-->(ProRes4444 XQ .Mov file. If on a Mac)(don't upscale)
With this workflow you basically Pre-Grading the linear 16bit Cdng RGGB to RGBA 12 or 16 bit ProRes .Mov
in Legal Video Color space then final grade with other apps.

#2 Raw-->raw2cdng(Cdng)---> import --> Final Cut ProX as a compound clip,
Or import--> Premiere Pro CC 2014 as a image sequences with audio.

I'm find the Apple FCPX workflow to be very good,  its my #1 workflow

I personally don't like blackmagic resolve as it dose not handle Raw very well at least for the 5D2 
There is no proper raw image adjustment like ACR (high light recovery etc...) it good for the last step in final grade
But i use FCPX 10.1.3 for my final grade or Autodesk smoke for mac (Professional high end NLE/VFX/Grading app)
You can check out some of my video tutorials , they are a little date now , but i plan on updating them very soon.
http://vimeo.com/home/myvideos/sort:date/format:video
http://www.youtube.com/user/RedDeerCityTV/videos
i hope this helps  :)

Lasting Image

Thanks reddearcity!  I'll take a look at all the options you mention.

togg

I'm having a lot of black frame/bad frame (nothing irreparable but still present) with a build taken from here a few weeks ago. Is there a date that I could use as a stable release? :)

edit: is srm job memory useful if my card are fast enough and don't fill the buffer? Could it be the cause of any problems?

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on October 20, 2014, 10:54:56 PM
I'm having a lot of black frame/bad frame (nothing irreparable but still present) with a build taken from here a few weeks ago. Is there a date that I could use as a stable release? :)
I use Feb15th nighty build , no problem to speck of  very solid build all around with HDMI etc....
If you PM i will give the link to this build as ML dose not what this build public any more.
I use this build for paid work,  ;)

reddeercity

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on October 20, 2014, 10:54:56 PM
edit: is srm job memory useful if my card are fast enough and don't fill the buffer? Could it be the cause of any problems?
The srm job memory really doesn't increase speed a whole bunch on fast CF Cards at least I didn't notice with Lexar 1000x
but I don't think srm job memory would cause a problem , I haven't tested it out completely thou .

a1ex

If you find any regression, please point it. I'm not aware of any.

a1ex

I need 4 volunteers with 5D2 to perform the following test:
- start your camera in M mode
- clear all ML settings (Prefs -> Config files -> Restore ML defaults) and reboot
- clear all Canon settings and custom functions, then reboot
- format your card from the camera, keep ML, and reboot
- remove the card from the camera, place it in the card reader
- send me ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN from ML/LOGS by PM (do not post them here!)

(I'm trying to reflash a bricked 5D2, and need to figure out which parts are calibration data and which parts are regular settings)

togg

I've filmed today with the last nightly and not srm, I will see if bad frame are still present.

edit: sadly they're. Maybe it's my camera, I don't know, but for now I'm coming back to 63b2f145cb3b, Feb14th build. I'll let you know.

Nobody else is having these problems? https://www.mediafire.com/?3suld2o568dhoxu

reddeercity

Quote from: togg on October 21, 2014, 02:51:29 PM
I've filmed today with the last nightly and not srm, I will see if bad frame are still present.
Nobody else is having these problems?
Downloaded the DNG and had a look.
I use to see this early in the Raw Video development , It was related to write speed to the card.
Specially on slower cards , I think I had problems on 60MB/s & 90MB/s Sandisk Extreme CF cards.
But never had a problem with the 1000x cards Since June of last year.

Maybe check the frame rate and the frame override, check your setting in general,
You shouldn't be getting corrupted frames like that.
What are you Setting ? CF Card ?
What happen at lower frame resolution, e.g. 1856x928 ? instead of 1856x1004

reddeercity

Quote from: a1ex on October 21, 2014, 09:46:21 AM
I need 4 volunteers with 5D2 to perform the following test:
- start your camera in M mode
- clear all ML settings (Prefs -> Config files -> Restore ML defaults) and reboot
- clear all Canon settings and custom functions, then reboot
- format your card from the camera, keep ML, and reboot
- remove the card from the camera, place it in the card reader
- send me ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN from ML/LOGS by PM (do not post them here!)

(I'm trying to reflash a bricked 5D2, and need to figure out which parts are calibration data and which parts are regular settings)
I can help out, for the Canon setting , you want factory default setting ?

a1ex

Yes, I'm looking for Canon's factory defaults.

togg

@reddercity Thanks fo your help!
My cf cards seems to be working well, they're 1000X KomputerBay with stable speed. I don't use frame override, just standard 23.98. I've not tried lower resolutions because I can't use such a frame, it's too little for me. Saturday I will film again, I hope I will have time to test different build before that but I'm not sure.

togg

Ok I'm testing and testing and testing and it seems that the problems is an app that I'm using to convert the raw files (MlRawViewer. No build or hardware problem.

reddeercity

@a1ex I sent a pm with the rom files with a link to my drop box if you still need the files.
I performed the test as requested .

a1ex

Thanks, downloaded.

I've also received a set from hanatos, so I need two more ROM dumps.

dariSSight

@a1ex I've just sent my PM ROM Dumps to you via Dropbox link, let me know if you have any problem accessing  them. Thanks
Canon 5D Mark II