Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barepixels

Quote from: Supersurfer on August 04, 2014, 03:29:12 PM

The second issue I get is a few black pictures with some green zones in the batch.

I have not found others with this issue on the forum

Actually I have mentioned about the black frames few time.  an example  here  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12828.msg124453#msg124453

problem is I can't figure how to make it repeatable so developer can replicate the problem
5D2 + nightly ML

Supersurfer

Hi barepixels,

I got the black pictures ( with green zones) several times and mosly at the end of a sequence when it stops/crashes.

I am not using ettr, only silent picture and intervalometer.

Doyle4

Can anyone here build latest nightly (7th Aug) with the Full Res Silent Pic module at all please? would love too give this a go :)

reddeercity

Check here there a aug 6th built with full res silent
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12891.msg124783#msg124783
I have tried it, work well so far did 240 frames @ 1sec interval saved as .raw format.

Doyle4

Thanks reddeercity! Will give this a try,

Is the 6th Aug build better than 8th? im pretty happy so far with 8th Aug.

Do i need mk11174's tweaked Silent.mo that is mentioned few lines down?.

Doyle4

Is fullres known for been buggy? im presuming so as its not in nightly's,

Do you know how to stop it taking pics when doing timelapse? i pressed every button and it wouldnt stop.. had it set to 1pic every second, take a pic to start.

CrashLog:
ASSERT: NextLvYuvArea != NOT_ALLOC
at SrmActionMemory.c:1279, task RscMgr
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Aug06.5D2212
Mercurial changeset   : 81a2fd653497+ (fullres-silent-pics) tip
Built on 2014-08-06 16:03:21 UTC by mathew@mathewubuntu64.
Free Memory  : 128K + 3963K

reddeercity

Yes I found it to be buggy, there is other silent module in that thread.
No it not in the nighty its sound like it my be there very soon thou.
I have only tried it once and yes I had a problem stopping the time lapse.
Just have to work with it and find the optimum  setting , but I like the possibility 
it presents for video projects , 5.7k time lapse very nice indeed . :)

Doyle4

Thanks reddeercity,

its a really nice feature!, be interesting  to see later on if FullSilent could be used for 4K H264, who knows haha.
going o have a play with the build you posted and the tweaked module on there, see what works best. :)

Gussy1111

When I go to the nightly builds section nothing appears. It just says "Select a Platform", I assume it is a problem on my end, correct? Should I just go with the July 23 stable version?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Gussy1111

Got it, I tried in IE.. Chrome/Mozilla wouldn't work.

Doyle4

Should work on Chrome buddy as thats what i use.  ::)

jimmyD30

I use Firefox (Mozilla) with no problems, maybe you have JavaScript turned off or something?

reddeercity

Testing out the Nightly.2014Sep01.5D2212  build for a Sporting event tomorrow I need to cover.
every think recorded ok with MLV+Audio  but when I did a format in Camera I lost Every thing off the Card
including ML. This has been  a problem that has come up in the past .
I have to format with EOScard and reinstall ML.
I Go back to my trusty feb build for now, as I can't have any failures tomorrow.
So be careful with that function .

Doyle4

@reddeercity

Thanks for heads up on that, im running 20th Aug and all seems nice and stable, iv tried the format and didn't lose ML.

dariSSight

Thanks for the heads up @reddeercity and @Doyle4
I shot a couple of project this summer and I used the Feb 15 build and it worked well for me. I will be filming soon a music video and a pilot for a drama series, so I will do some pre-production test with this Aug 20 build to check for its stability. Is the Aug 20 build better then Oct 24 RAW or Feb 15 MLV Build, for me the best build is Oct 24 because you should never sacrifice pixel if you can. It's hard to explain to most people 2K and 4K is irrelevant if your not watching a 200 inch screen or Multiplex IMAX theater screen. Pixel equal Sharpness, Dynamic Range equal low light variation and Color Space equal RGB calibration. So the question after beating the human eye in distinguishing pixel, the only question remains is how are you processing the image? 1920x1080 is a large enough image that it will retain native sharpness to the image, Dynamic Range is up kept by having control of Raw image or lightning technique and, finally Color Space is the RGB up keep is determine on your colorist bit rate process that resembles x.v.YCC' colour specification. But I could be wrong so please anyone tell me why would 2K or 4K be so better then 1080p on 60, 70, 80 or 100 inch screen?
Canon 5D Mark II

sage

The modules tab is not showing for the latest nightly build (sept. 1).  Is this happening to anyone else?

Walter Schulz

Delete AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory from card. Copy extracted files (AUTOEXEC.BIN + ML directory) to card. Try again.

togg

any suggestion about the most stable release or I can use the last nightly without any fear?

dpjpandone

most stable is 2.3 (available on main page)

ManuR

Quote from: reddeercity on September 06, 2014, 12:09:35 AM
Testing out the Nightly.2014Sep01.5D2212  build for a Sporting event tomorrow I need to cover.
every think recorded ok with MLV+Audio  but when I did a format in Camera I lost Every thing off the Card
including ML. This has been  a problem that has come up in the past .
I have to format with EOScard and reinstall ML.
I Go back to my trusty feb build for now, as I can't have any failures tomorrow.
So be careful with that function .

Hi reddeercity, I´ve got your very valuable help before so maybe I can now bring my two cents here.

I´ve found that after recording RAW, if I immediately try to format the card without restarting the camera, the two following issues come up:

1st Before formatting the card, the actual GB left on the camera showed in the format menu seems wrong, as it was nothing recorded before coming to the format menu.
2nd After formatting, all information in the card is lost including Magic Lantern as it happened to you, and you need to reinstall ML in the card from scratch.

The solution I´ve found for this issue is to always restart the camera after recording RAW if I need to format the card.

After restarting you will also find that the actual GB left on the card, that is showed in the format menu, is ok.

First time it happened I got really scared as I thought my new 32GB card was fried!

So maybe it is not a nightly build problem.

Hope you found it useful.

hlstudios

Hi All,
First post and I apologies completely if I screw up on any forum traditions or rules!
I just bought a 5D Mkii that has Magic Lantern installed from ebay (it's not even here yet!) but the main thing I bought it for was video.
Could any of you tell me, with Magic Lantern installed, what the longest I can record video for (at 25fps in HD quality) without having to press record etc again is?
I'm aware that there is a short time limit without ML installed but I can't seem to find info about whether ML lifts that limit on the 5Dmkii?

I don't mind if it's broken into multiple files, I just need a long record time! I record multi cam concert shoots and I want to use the 5D mkii as the locked off wide shot from the rear so I can't go and restart it.

I've been using a 550D for s few years from the stage wings (I generally host the shows) and I love how DSLR footage looks compared to the camcorders that are getting the other shots but I can manually restart the camera I'm holding every 12 minutes ok. Rear lock off needs to be able to do at least an hour without being touched. Any way the 5D Mkii (with ML) can manage that?
Many Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
Gareth

itaibachar

Hi guys
Ive just installed ML on my 5Dmk2, followed the basic guidelines for shooting Raw,
converted it to DNG, and the first thing that strikes me is the severe stair-stepp of the footage,
rendering it unusabale.
Ive searched this forum and couldnt find anything,
maybe Im missing some workflow?
Thanks

dmilligan

That's called aliasing. It's a result of the line skipping that the sensor does in video mode. You can record in 1:1 'crop' mode (press the zoom in button) to avoid this effect, though your FOV will be smaller.

itaibachar

So whats the point of all this RAW thing if its flawed like that? I don't get it. Why are people shooting like this? would've been nice though if it wasn't that broken.

Walter Schulz

Canon's H.264 implementation = Stretched from liveview resolution, compressed, noise reduction added, sharpened, 8 bit colour depth, IPB instead of ALL-I (not all cams). And no control how it is done for most of above.
MLV/RAW = RAW, simply RAW with liveview resolution or cropped. With all shortcomings. But RAW. Insane data rates. But RAW. Every frame in RAW.