Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jad

Quote from: nick.p on June 16, 2014, 12:23:35 AM
That's quite an old build (2012). You'll want to install one from the nightly builds. http://builds.magiclantern.fm
Thanks! I've got it working now.

sleepinghouse

Quote from: Doyle4 on June 14, 2014, 09:20:05 PM
What has happened to the 5Dmkii Scene? iv tried reading to why it has stopped but its a little confusing, miss A.D's builds and now the nightly's, wish i understood what it is they need..

I was asking myself the same question. I have the last build that was working, end of may or something. I'm a little worried as I feel like we were just getting RAW support down.

Fingers crossed. I wish I could do more than just submit log files.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

a.d.

Hi Guys!

I've just pull  a request!

The Stubs for FIO_SeekSkipFile (ff9ab050 or ff9ab784) and CancelDateTimer (ffabd838 or ff2bd838) are straight forward, so I uncommented them to reduce the circle of suspects.
To find the 4 GUI Stubs, I created a Timer Database with two Value Registers and References.

There seems to be two pattern.
1. 0xFF8
2. SetHPTimerAfterNow, SetHPTimerNextTick, SetTimerAfter, CancelTimer (sort Resgisters from small to big)

At the Beginning It's hard to get the SetTimerAfter, 'cause I need to pull battery out and sometimes I got Error 70, only to run the debug test.

SetTimerAfter: After a lot of Try and Error! There are two strong candidates ff86af64 or ff874a74. After that the CancelTimer is much easy. The second hard part to find SetHPTimerAfterNow (ff859638, ff86af64, ff86c7a0, ff86dd88)

So I hope It helps!

a1ex

Doyle4

YES!!!

Thank you A.D!!!! Knew you would come and rescue the Mkii users! Thank you again! and Thank you Alex for putting A.D's finds into Mkii Nightly's!

Build: 2014-06-16 07:15:41 +0100 is up and running guys! ahhhh so relieved!

poromaa

sleepinghouse

Yes thank you a.d. and a1ex!
You guys rule.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

Channo786

Thank you A.D and Alex, I'm a 5d Mark II user still and i still have the old 5dc body i still use for time laps stuff.
Now, both of these camera's are getting old.

It's sad that Canon doesn't care about their users anymore with firmwares. They sadly aren't bothered about their 5D body...No one has money to spend near £2000 on Camera body to get 1080p, nevermind about the C-series price. 

I have ton of Canon Glass. I feel let down by canon...
It's the ML community that has kept the interest and profits high with great features for video.  :D

Doyle4

LOVE my MKii with ML  :D

Canon... who are they?  :P

barepixels

I too want to echo what others said.   Thank you A.D and Alex for making my 5D2 sing.
5D2 + nightly ML

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

jimmyD30

With 5DM2 using July 2 2014 build I can't get the 'show buffer graph' to be visible while recording, but as soon as I press SET to end the recording, then I see the buffer graph.

I have Global Draw on and in MLV record set to Allow, buffer fill method to 1 and Show Buffer Graph on and I set my video resolution and fps settings so that it would not be continuous thinking to force the use of buffers.

Am I missing something? Do I need to enable a debug mode somewhere?

Robbe

Installed latest nighly build (tried also with earlier versions), loaded raw_rec module and reboot.
The Menu/Modules shows raw_rec OK, but Menu/Movies are all dimmed and no green dot. In Menu/Modules/RAW video shows N/A, but I can set resolution and record.
Just after recording, the green dot lights and showing resolution. But when reboot there is no resolution showing and no green dots. Have to start over again every time.
//RobBe
Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 600D, EF 14mm, EF 15mm, EF 35-350, EF 70-200  ML: latest Nighly Build + RAW video module. 32GB Sandisk 800x (120 MB/s) card.

Rewind

Here Pravdomil says, "Only two features are remaining (1880 width and  crop marks for GLDraw Off)"

The thing is, Cropmarks for GLDraw Off — is the vital thing for low-end cameras, because GDraw affects the recording speed and you should turn it off, but you virtually can't record without proper framing.
This is the reason why some of the users can't use the nightly builds, since this feature not implemented (yet?)

I'd like to implement it in my own builds, but can't find the needed commit.
Can you please point me to the corresponding lines in your code, which affects this behaviour?

jimmyD30

An old trick I've been considering for using with 3x crop mode (because of the delay/stutter) is to tape off the LCD where the crop marks should be, but it would be a bit of a pain if you need to change aspect ratio frequently.

Kharak

Quote from: Rewind on July 09, 2014, 08:55:30 AM
Here Pravdomil says, "Only two features are remaining (1880 width and  crop marks for GLDraw Off)"

Correct Cropmarks with Global Draw off would be killer!

And just having cropmarks work properly even with GLdraw ON would be awesome too. It was a rarity for me to have the cropmarks appear.
once you go raw you never go back

sleepinghouse

Do you guys think it will ever be possible to shoot at 50fps?
I want to do some true slow mo stuff and don't want to have to upgrade to the 6D or MKIII.

I shoot skateboard videos and really need to be able to shoot in high frame rates.

jimmyD30

Quote from: sleepinghouse on July 12, 2014, 03:31:30 PM
Do you guys think it will ever be possible to shoot at 50fps?
I want to do some true slow mo stuff and don't want to have to upgrade to the 6D or MKIII.

I shoot skateboard videos and really need to be able to shoot in high frame rates.

I don't think so on the 5DM2, probably because it can only shoot max 30fps natively, so might not have the internal clocks/timers needed to do 50/60fps. As far as CF card throughput capability, theoretically it could shoot higher frame rates at lower resolutions as there exists an inverse relationship between the two in this regard.

Doyle4

Canon showed the mkii shooting 50/60fps, was going to be in a update few years back but was pulled out, main reason was the full frame sensor not been able to stay cool, new models like the mkiii with full frame have been designed to have the sensor t have more breathing space.. must be other reasons too, if you dont want to spend too much money i recommend the GoPro 3+ Black, loooove mine! hopefully one day ML will run on it :P

sleepinghouse

Quote from: jimmyD30 on July 13, 2014, 12:42:19 AM
I don't think so on the 5DM2, probably because it can only shoot max 30fps natively, so might not have the internal clocks/timers needed to do 50/60fps. As far as CF card throughput capability, theoretically it could shoot higher frame rates at lower resolutions as there exists an inverse relationship between the two in this regard.

Thank you JimmyD30. I just have seen the changing frame rates but never tried it.
Do you think 60fps at 720 is possible? I would do that.

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 14, 2014, 10:52:28 AM
Canon showed the mkii shooting 50/60fps, was going to be in a update few years back but was pulled out, main reason was the full frame sensor not been able to stay cool, new models like the mkiii with full frame have been designed to have the sensor t have more breathing space.. must be other reasons too, if you dont want to spend too much money i recommend the GoPro 3+ Black, loooove mine! hopefully one day ML will run on it :P

Sigh, the sensor. Nothing magic lantern can do about that. I might be looking into other cameras to shoot higher frame rates. I never thought I would get a GoPro, but I might be at that point.

jimmyD30

I haven't used my 5DM2 in a while, but if I remember correctly the highest frame rate available in the ML settings was 35fps.

Doyle4

Quote from: sleepinghouse on July 21, 2014, 08:20:54 AMSigh, the sensor. Nothing magic lantern can do about that. I might be looking into other cameras to shoot higher frame rates. I never thought I would get a GoPro, but I might be at that point.

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Black, i shoot using Protune (Flat profile with exposure/iso/white balance/sharpness control) which allows for a pretty decent professional grading, when i first shot with it i was upset as my footage looked nothing like GoPro's vids that are out there, but bit of research i found their workflow, they shoot most of their footage @48fps also but place it into a 24fps timeline, when shooting at 24fps the outside of the footage is blurry if doing like POV riding shots, changing to 48fps i noticed a huge difference. ACR now has GoPro Lens profiles too which is nice!

EDIT: Frame rates are if interested. 1080p @24/25/30/48/60  720p @same as 1080p but 720p allows for 120fps! upscales nice to 1080p if using protune mode.

Robbe

Quote from: Robbe on July 05, 2014, 04:17:40 PM
Installed latest nighly build (tried also with earlier versions), loaded raw_rec module and reboot.
The Menu/Modules shows raw_rec OK, but Menu/Movies are all dimmed and no green dot. In Menu/Modules/RAW video shows N/A, but I can set resolution and record.
Just after recording, the green dot lights and showing resolution. But when reboot there is no resolution showing and no green dots. Have to start over again every time.
Only me having this problem with Canon 5D mark2?
//RobBe
Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 600D, EF 14mm, EF 15mm, EF 35-350, EF 70-200  ML: latest Nighly Build + RAW video module. 32GB Sandisk 800x (120 MB/s) card.

Supersurfer

Hi A1ex and all you guys,

First of all let me thank A1ex and the other contributers for a very nice piece of software. ML is reason enough to choose Canon before any other camera brand!

I have been using ML stable release 2.3 for a few years now, first on 50D and now on 5D2.
I am experimenting with astro and daily timelapse  and got interested in the nightly builds with shutterless picture capture. I am experimenting with nightly build: Nightly.2014Aug02.5D2212.

I have issues using the silent picture function with intervalometer ( set: 1pic/sec, silent picture: simple)
It records around 122-137 pictures in DNG and than stops. I tried several times and they all stop around these picture rates. I had a few times err30 and needed to take out the battery.

The second issue I get is a few black pictures with some green zones in the batch.

I have not found others with this issue on the forum (although there is very much information on it and I have not read all ;-)) am I doing something wrong?

I want to make timelapses with around 1pic/sec, 300+ pictures in DNG format, that must not be hard on the camera processor.

Any ideas?