Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: poromaa on April 26, 2014, 04:01:08 PM
I am NorthFilm

Haha, cool, I had no idea.

Using a VAF filter will quiet down the mirror, but I doubt it will improve the shutter life (because the shutter blades are still actuated). The mirror is just a thing that moves up and down (don't see how mechanical wear should affect it), but the real action is in moving the shutter blades (where timing is essential, since they determine the exposure time). I believe this method is used to get less rolling shutter artifacts than the fully electronic readout is capable of (look at the rolling shutter in zoom mode to see what I mean).

Silent picture will save the mechanical shutter life, but it's limited in resolution. For nearly static subjects you might even be able to exploit the line skipping property with super-resolution (that is, combine 2 or 3 frames into a higher-resolution one). It's on my list of things to be studied, but it requires some math skills quite a bit above mine. It's pure postprocessing though, no hacking required.

reddeercity

Quote from: Doyle4 on April 26, 2014, 12:53:03 PM
@reddeercity

Thanks for linking ad builds, couldnt find them since we have moved here.

Youre x3 crop mode test's, is that using the feb 16th build?
Yes it was

Doyle4

@reddeercity

Thanks, Feb 16th build seems great from 14th, MLV is super stable for me.

Im unsure about buffers using MLV (used RAW before hand), is the mlv test best to do first? test suggested "0" but iv read to use "1"  sorry for more questions to people.

poromaa

Quote from: a1ex on April 26, 2014, 04:18:08 PM
The mirror is just a thing that moves up and down (don't see how mechanical wear should affect it), but the real action is in moving the shutter blades (where timing is essential, since they determine the exposure time).

Ah okay, I just assumed they was connected, but of course they aren't.

Quote from: a1ex on April 26, 2014, 04:18:08 PM
For nearly static subjects you might even be able to exploit the line skipping property with super-resolution (that is, combine 2 or 3 frames into a higher-resolution one). It's on my list of things to be studied, but it requires some math skills quite a bit above mine. It's pure postprocessing though, no hacking required.

Interesting. What kind of math are we talking about here? The silent pic resolution is 3,744/3 ≈ 1250 in height? Does that mean 2 pixel of line skipping? So to capture all y pixels you would need 3 pics? Then the same for the skipped pixels at the x-axis? that would give us 3x3 pics = 9 pics to cover whole sensors all pixels?
Is it possible to do 1880x1250 readouts with different offsets? The burst in silent module is quite fast isn't it?

a1ex

Silent picture burst is simply raw video without cropping and without real-time writing. That code is much simpler, so it's useful in the early stages of porting raw video, or as documentation.

The super-resolution trick would only work hand-held (and it is probably more useful for video). I don't know how to alter the vertical offset. I know how to change the line skipping factor from adtg_gui (it's documented there), but other than some distorted pictures I didn't get anything good out of it so far.

reddeercity

Quote from: Doyle4 on April 27, 2014, 10:50:06 AM
@reddeercity
Thanks, Feb 16th build seems great from 14th, MLV is super stable for me.
Im unsure about buffers using MLV (used RAW before hand), is the mlv test best to do first? test suggested "0" but iv read to use "1"  sorry for more questions to people.
It all depends on your CF card, I use a Lexar 1000x 64, 32GB. I found in Crop Mode to get the needed speed for continuous, Buffer fill rate "0"  78-79MB/s with audio,  In 1:1 "1" is ok unless you use a HDMI device then you need that write speed again .
Some of the cards like the komputerbay's are better at fill rate of "4" as per Ted's test on the first page of this thread.
Also on my one Sandisk Extreme 32GB 90MB/s works better at fill rate of "0".
On smaller frame sizes thou it may not make that much differences, so play a little bit with it  ;)

Doyle4

@reddeercity

Thanks for you're time and help, MLV is new to me as i didnt use it in its early stages but now i can see its potential.
buffer "0" seems to work great on my 32gb 1000x Transcend card, shows continuos 1600x900 i think it is @ 16x9, lovely :)

Thanks again,  :D

reddeercity

@Doyle4 , You're Welcome, happy to help. Glad you got it figure out. 

jimmyD30

@reddeercity
Hey, when you record raw are you using mlv or the older raw_rec? Either way, do you experience an error within the first minute of recording? When I play back the video in-camera it errors out at about 35 secs into the video and when I convert the mlv file to dng with the .idx file it stops processing at the error point, but if I convert the mlv to dng without using the .idx file it processes the entire file, but drops the 'corrupted' frames, about 4-5 per 60secs of video.

This occurs for me with the Feb 16 and a few of the most recent builds as well on the 5DM2.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

reddeercity

Quote from: jimmyD30 on May 01, 2014, 05:26:22 PM
@reddeercity
Hey, when you record raw are you using mlv or the older raw_rec? Either way, do you experience an error within the first minute of recording? When I play back the video in-camera it errors out at about 35 secs into the video and when I convert the mlv file to dng with the .idx file it stops processing at the error point, but if I convert the mlv to dng without using the .idx file it processes the entire file, but drops the 'corrupted' frames, about 4-5 per 60secs of video.
This occurs for me with the Feb 16 and a few of the most recent builds as well on the 5DM2.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
I use both ,Feb16th NB --> MLV-v2.0 with or without audio, Oct 24th -->Raw-v1.0, I don't have these problems you describe but there again I don't watching what I just shot  in-camera. I don't even load the picture viewer module, to much of a chance of a failure of errors, I work on the side of caution Always !
I use the "MLVBrowseSharp.exe" to exact my MLV .raw+audio then raw2cdng v1.4.9 (v1.5.0 Beta3 dose not work with Apple Products, Pink for premiere pro)
What CF card are you using? Mybe a bad install of ML ? try formatting with EOSCard.exe program and reinstall , just some thoughts ,double check all setting also.

jimmyD30

@reddeercity

Thank you for your thoughts. Most of what you suggest I've done, except I didn't realize that MLVBrowserSharp could output raw+audio (figured dng+audio), so I'll try that work flow too.

@g3gg0 thinks maybe the firmware and conversion app are reporting erroneous frame counts, so I'll do some more testing and if the video output looks good, I'll leave it at that.

tarakarama

Hi,

I installed magic lantern nightly build (06/05/2014). Selected MLV recording as per above instructions (didn't choose RAW_REC). When I am trying to shoot, I am getting video with pink tint. I checked my white balance in normal mode, everything looks good. I converted .MLV file to RAW and then to DNG. Am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you.

Also I am not able to preview video in camera. Please let me know where to look for that option. Thank you in advance.

jimmyD30

Quote from: tarakarama on May 06, 2014, 04:33:36 AM
Hi,

I installed magic lantern nightly build (06/05/2014). Selected MLV recording as per above instructions (didn't choose RAW_REC). When I am trying to shoot, I am getting video with pink tint. I checked my white balance in normal mode, everything looks good. I converted .MLV file to RAW and then to DNG. Am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you.

Also I am not able to preview video in camera. Please let me know where to look for that option. Thank you in advance.

As far as previewing in camera, make sure you load the mlv_play.mo module, even then it may only work for 35 secs or so, but at least you get a glimpse of how it looks.

As far as pink tint, some of the more recent nightlies are messing with black level setting and it might not have been completely worked out yet (I believe this is camera model dependent). As per @reddeercity the the Feb 16 2014 build works well and does not give me pink tint on my 5DM2, but also as per @reddeercity, some mlv converters on some operating systems using certain software may also produce pink tint.

ted ramasola

TURN OFF BLACK FIX.  This is causing the pink tint videos on the 5D2. This is found in RAW Video sub menu. I've already mentioned this to devs. Seems like its ON by default.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

nikki

i have a used 5d mark 2...can someone direct me to a link where the raw build is? thanks

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds
And first page of this thread, first post.

ted ramasola

With May 8 Nightly, pink tinted frames still result with Black Fix at ON. To those trying out the May 8th Nightly, Turn OFF to prevent Pink tinted video.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Audionut

Until black-level-fix is merged with unified, all nightlies will have the same black level problems.

I haven't had a chance to do any testing myself (I don't shoot video, so it's a low priority for myself).

a1ex

And until somebody (other than its authors) reviews the fix, I'm not going to merge it.

Audionut

If anyone is willing to try bleeding edge code, and possibly brick their camera, I can provide a build for testing, on PM request.

The only condition, please provide feedback to the devs.

ted ramasola

Caution to those using sound recording with raw.
Testing latest build May 19 (I think this is the same with builds before and after May 14) and found some problems with audio. Static buzzing would show at random in the WAV file. The dngs are not affected.
Its worse when AGC is ON.

Reporting this behavior here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg115921#msg115921

If shooting raw with new nightlies, I recommend use separate sound recording until this is fixed.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Can you find out when the problem was introduced? (in what build).

Once you find a way to reproduce the error (even probabilistically, e.g. record 10 seconds with settings XYZ and you get noise in 3 out of 10 attempts), one can run "hg bisect" and identify the changeset.

ted ramasola

Ok, I actually did a sort a systematic test so I'll detail my test report method in the mlv thread where I posted the problem first (linked in my post above). This post will just be a heads up to 5d2 users in general.
Link to updated post with test method. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg115953#msg115953
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

rick_ford55

I am just using the 5d in normal mode with ML installed and I am unsure about the continuos recording mode ML offers.... I understand I can turn movie restart and when the 4gb buffer is reached the camera will restart..... Will the camera just do that itself? Are there any known issues with this, heat issues etc?