Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

I think it should not be there in the first place, but I'll fix that when I'll get home (next week).

geco

Hi there
Just a little question, to confirm what i have read here and there on the web...
Is it right that ML on 5DII can't increase frame rate to 60fps ?
or 50fps, or 65fps ?

Thank you

reddeercity

Quote from: geco on April 04, 2014, 02:56:34 PM
Hi there
Just a little question, to confirm what i have read here and there on the web...
Is it right that ML on 5DII can't increase frame rate to 60fps ?
or 50fps, or 65fps ?

Thank you
Yes, your limited to 30fps, as per canon menu. You can over crank it a little I think to about 35 fps
with Frame over ride enable.

Doyle4

Been away awhile and see alot has changed, For us Mkii users (and others im guessing) its either Stable release or if wanting to test new features use nightly builds? cheers guys.

Also, i cant find a working MLV extractor for Mac, im on 10.8.5 and non are booting or extracting. Cheers again.

mageye

5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

chrisorr

Quote from: reddeercity on April 04, 2014, 12:55:33 AM
What third party are you using I use WinRAR on PC and its fine & just tried My MacPro with Maverick 10.9.1
All Clear there, it automatically unzip for me on the Mac in my download folder.

I used izip Stuffit Expander. I have 10.9.2 as well. When I click to open the zip a duplicate .cpgz file pops up.

There're other files in the download with the zip file so it may have unzipped automatically but I don't know the exact contents in the zip so I have nothing to compare it to.

Here's what I have:

This may be the contents I need to upload to my card but I don't know. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I just don't want to risk turning my camera into a brick.

Thanks!

guentergunter

Magic Lantern v2.3 - Install Guide

I never saw any .cpgz file.
I suggest to delete and ignore it and/or to use another zip application.
By the way: OSX (just as windows) can unzip zip files right from the finder without any third party software. And it does it correctly!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

chrisorr

I tried unzipping it from the finder menu first and it just created the .cpgz file. Same with the other two zip applications I downloaded. I also tried downloading and unzipping it on 3 other computers (all Macs)  and it did the exact same thing.

I'm not sure why it seems to be so simple for everyone else but me.

chrisorr

Has anyone else had this problem or am I the only one in the universe? Because I've looked through various forums and can't seem to find anyone who's had this issue.

reddeercity

Quote from: chrisorr on April 06, 2014, 07:17:15 PM
I used izip Stuffit Expander. I have 10.9.2 as well. When I click to open the zip a duplicate .cpgz file pops up.
There're other files in the download with the zip file so it may have unzipped automatically but I don't know the exact contents in the zip so I have nothing to compare it to. This may be the contents I need to upload to my card but I don't know. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I just don't want to risk turning my camera into a brick.
Thanks!
Yes that it, just ignore that .cpgz file , it's a Compressed UNIX CPIO Archive file.
Here a link with some info : http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/
Just down load it again, these are the files you should have:

1)5D2_212.fir
2)autoexec.bin
3)ML folder
4)inside the ML folder
a)Cropmks  folder --->CineSco2.bmp, CrssMtr2.bmp, Passport.bmp, PhiPhoto.bmp, PhiVideo.bmp
b)data         folder --->apsc8p.lut, apsc8r.lut, ff8p.lut, ff8r.lut
c)docs         file
d)fronts       folder --->arghlf22.rbf, argnor23.rgf, argnor28.rbf, argnor32.rbf, term12.rbf, term20.rbf
e)logs          folder
f)modules    folder --->5D2_212.sym, arkanoid.mo, autoexpo.mo, deflick.mo, dot_tune.mo, dual_iso.mo, ettr.mo, file_man.mo, mlv_play.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo, pic_view.mo, raw_rec.mo, silent.mo
g)README   file
h)scripts     folder --->brack.c, clock.c, dump.lua, dumpcfg.lua, hello.c, hello.py, img.c, keys.c, print.lua, sokoban.c, test.c, wb_shoot.lua
I)setting     folder

You only need 4 modules to record mlv video+audio, "5D2_212.sym, file_man.mo, mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo".
hope that helps  :)

nuke01

Hi there,

first of all. really awesome guide with all the infos needed in one compact place. thank you. also thx to the devs of course!

I just updated to the last nightly magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr07.5D2212.

everything seems to work just fine, but one small thing changed from the a.d build I had before ( 2b804e8cdd3c ), which kind of bothers me. there, when you disabled global draw, it still showed you a white rectangle which indicated the size which gets recorded. sry, english is not my first language. what I mean is you had a small rectangle if for example you choose 1728x972 and an smaller one if you choose 1728x824. would it be possible to implement this again?

Reason: I like to let the other stuff (waveform, vectorscope, etc) turned on when working on my image. it's bothersome to turn it all on and off everytime you record. thank you

EDIT: Ah, pravdomil already posted here that this is one of two features which were not brought back to the main branch. so this is already known. I'm just kindly asking, is there any work going on to bring this features to the unified branch?

nuke01

I just found another difference:
This new build magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr07.5D2212 seems to be slower than 2b804e8cdd3c when recording:

Today I could record with 1728x972@25p on a 128GB 1000x KB CF card for as long as nearly 10mins (before I pressed stop). Now I only get about 30seconds (~1500 frames).
I use the same settings as before, which are:
Resolution: 1728x972
Aspect ration: 16:9
Global Draw: OFF

Frame Skipping: OFF
Preview: AUTO
Status when recording: ICON // wasn't in the other build, so I don't change it
Start delay: 4sec
Digi Dolly: OFF
Card warm-up: 128MB
Extra Hacks: ON
Fix black level: OFF // also because new
Debug trace: OFF
Show buffer graph: OFF
Buffer fill method: 4
Reserve card space: OFF // new
Tag: Text none
Tag: Take OFF

Did I miss something which I could change to get faster speed? I also did all the other things described in the first post of this topic in the Canon menu. This settings I had before and differ from the guide:
peripheral illumin. correct: ON
color space: sRGB
high ISO speed noise reductn: 0: Standard
I hope this somehow can help you guys with merging the forks.

EDIT: since I'm rather new here, I hope it's okay I posted this here. Or should it go into the Nightly Builds thread (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.6258)? I don't want to crosspost...

reddeercity

Try with preview to hacked preview instead of Auto & I find that buffer fill rate is the fastest set
to "0" plus audio 44.1 instead of 48 . Turn icon off in favor of the debug recording raw info bar, not
Sure it will help speedup but it will tell you if you issue recording to card.

Edit: use adobe color space in camera , will give you better skin tones and better color in general.

guentergunter

Quote from: reddeercity on April 08, 2014, 08:35:30 PM
Edit: use adobe color space in camera , will give you better skin tones and better color in general.

In other words: you claim, that the image recorded by raw_rec or mlv_rec differs when you change the color space of the camera?
That's not true!

"Adobe Color Space" is a RGB color space and thus NOT raw! It's used for compressing to jpg. So, the RAW buffer, ML reads from is not affected.

[However, when you shot pictures in (Canon)RAW, the embedded preview file differs (since it's compressed to RGB).]

It's up to everyone in what color space one works later on the computer. Here you will definitely get different results. But the .raw or .mlv files will always look the same!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

Audionut

Quote from: guentergunter on April 08, 2014, 09:57:10 PM
the image recorded by raw_rec or mlv_rec differs when you change the color space of the camera?
That's not true!

Indeed. 

And virtually all skin tones are within the sRGB color space.  So AdobeRGB isn't going to do anything about that, either.

Doyle4

Sorry again for a question, little lost as its changed, the link i was sent to shows what work has been done etc which is sweet, but where do i download the latest for 5dmkii? last one i see is 14th Feb or are we downloading from nightly's now :)

Cheers.

ted ramasola

@doyle4
Yes, download from nightlies.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Doyle4

reddeercity

Being HDMI & Live View still go though Jpeg chip and I capture live view via hdmi recorder there is processing and I find in adobe color space the image is nice( fuller). And the capture image look the same as the raw image. Plus I still use H264 , so it only make sense to use it.

Audionut

The color profile is used for tagging the output.  It is not used during processing.

Color images > RGB
Video > YCbCr

The YCbCr (video) format uses color matrices, such as Rec. ITU-R BT. 709.  RGB color profile do not apply here, either.
Some form of grading is applied to video information via picture styles, and again, the video (output) is tagged with a color matrix, not a color profile.

reddeercity

So as I understand it there is a lot of processing before it get's to HDMI, and  yes I know its 8bit YCbCr 4:2:2 that complies to hdmi 1.3a which is the same as
The SMPTE 292 (1.5Gb/s). I think chmee did a real good job of explaining how the flow of data off the sensor and it internal processing link ---->
  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7443.msg99136#msg99136 . So there some stuff going, but each to there own.
For everyone, I found a really good read on canon raw and it gives a very good understanding of what Canon is doing there. I found it Very Interesting.
Link: http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/  "Understanding What is stored in a Canon RAW"  :)

Audionut

Quote from: reddeercity on April 10, 2014, 04:08:49 AM
So as I understand it there is a lot of processing before it get's to HDMI,

Which has nothing to do with the way the data is tagged.

and  yes I know its 8bit YCbCr 4:2:2 that complies to hdmi 1.3a which is the same as
The SMPTE 292 (1.5Gb/s).

:o

The only thing these formats have in common, is that they both transport digital information.

HDMI 1.3 was released June 22, 2006 and increased the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).

I think chmee did a real good job of explaining how the flow of data off the sensor and it internal processing link ---->

That shows a basic diagram of the processing chain.  Again, it shows nothing about the way the data is tagged.

For everyone, I found a really good read on canon raw and it gives a very good understanding of what Canon is doing there. I found it Very Interesting.
Link: http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/  "Understanding What is stored in a Canon RAW"  :)

The color space information, is simply a tag.  It gets added to the files metadata, to instruct the processing software to transform the image data into a specific gamut.

With raw data, this tag is simply ignored.  Each raw processor will use it's own transfer characteristics, to transfer the raw data to RGB.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread4804.htm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3214673
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/in-camera-color-spaces.html

reddeercity

reddeercity

I was wondering if any one has come up-pound any issue's recording audio in Crop mode with 5D2 an HDMI recorder attached and recording ?

Here what happen to me, I'm recording the live-view with ninja recorder in crop mode. Being there no audio out the hdmi this is what puzzles me,
When I press the record button on 5D2 I was recording the Lv and recording crop mlv + Audio @ 44.1,  I had a external Mic attached to the ninja and for some reason the audio on the ninja recorder increased in speed , so I had to in fcpx add a pitch filter with about  (neg)-10% and slow it down on the timeline by the same amount.
Every thing was fine and in sync in the recorder until I pressed the set button to record raw in crop mode  then it just speeded up. There's no problem in 1:1 mode just in crop , but the wave file with the mlv was fine and in sync just the recorder had a problem. The Video was fine .