Lightworks and HDR

Started by Schloime, June 27, 2012, 09:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloime

Hi.

Anybody using Lightworks out there?
Basically it's the same workflow as described in Blender, but one of the forum-members created an user-effect especially for ML-HDR videos.
You still have to separate the two exposures, either with the doublespeed, two tracks, slip-one-frame approach or with an external prog, but then you just slap the "HDR" effect over them and get three sliders called threshold, contrast and gain.
Very easy to use. A short example can be seen here, but don't expect any spectacular shot, it's just a test.

600D, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 55-200, SNS-HDR, Photoshop7, Lightroom, Lightwave, Lightworks, Light everywhere

KarateBrot

That's a good one. I've seen a lot of ML HDR footages and i think this is one of the better ones
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

bart

Thanks a lot for this workflow. One question though. The hdr blend looks more of an exposure average than something achieved through tone mapping. I would like to see the whole sky of the dark exposure in the end result. Because it has a nice atmosphere. I wonder if you just shoot non HDR at the exposure in between both hdr exposures and use something like flaat10 you might achieve the same result with 25 real frames. But I like to try the different settings to see what it's capable of.

Quote from: Schloime on June 27, 2012, 09:33:02 PM
Hi.

Anybody using Lightworks out there?
Basically it's the same workflow as described in Blender, but one of the forum-members created an user-effect especially for ML-HDR videos.
You still have to separate the two exposures, either with the doublespeed, two tracks, slip-one-frame approach or with an external prog, but then you just slap the "HDR" effect over them and get three sliders called threshold, contrast and gain.
Very easy to use. A short example can be seen here, but don't expect any spectacular shot, it's just a test.

Schloime

According to the writer of this effect in Lightworks it is more of a min and max filtering of the two tracks and then blending together, with a variable threshold in between.
I will try a few other setups and try to find a suitable scenery to do some more testing. But yes, it doesn't seem to be real tonemapping.
So the long workflow would be to render image sequences for the two exposures and then batch process them through a real HDR-prog, is that right?
Or are there other solutions around, preferably not with real expensive software like AE?
600D, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 55-200, SNS-HDR, Photoshop7, Lightroom, Lightwave, Lightworks, Light everywhere

jordancolburn

Quote from: b4rt on June 29, 2012, 10:21:30 AM
Thanks a lot for this workflow. One question though. The hdr blend looks more of an exposure average than something achieved through tone mapping. I would like to see the whole sky of the dark exposure in the end result. Because it has a nice atmosphere. I wonder if you just shoot non HDR at the exposure in between both hdr exposures and use something like flaat10 you might achieve the same result with 25 real frames. But I like to try the different settings to see what it's capable of.

That is my question as well.  This seems similar to the blender VSE workflow, but with a faster render time.  Lightworks has a pretty flexible node based effects chain, so it might be easy to add in a tone mapping plugin or something, not sure that it would be very easy to create a tone mapping algorithm fast enough to keep up with real time video though.

bigjoe

when i try shooting HDR video using ML with my 550d in my liveview the brightness/exposure is up and down... and when i export it into my computer it works fine...i really don't know the difference between hdr shot and without Hdr shot... can anyone explain more... i'm using sony vegas pro software too...

lighthouse67

@Schloime: Do you work with the free version vof Lightworks?

Schloime

@lighthouse67: No, I have the paid version, but the plugin will work in the free version, too. You can find it in the LW forum, there is one sticky thread with user-FX, in the first post is a collection of all user-created FX and an explanation how to install them.

@bigjoe: When shooting HDR, your ISO is switched between to values, so one picture is bright, the next is dark, then bright again. This explains the flickering liveview. In your editing-prog (vegas in your case) you need to separate the two exposures. Obviously you then have two videos with double speed, which you need to correct, too.
In your software you then should overlay the two tracks and with some appropriate tool extract the good parts of each track.. sounds complicated now...
Anyone with a workflow for Vegas?

ilguercio

Anybody cares to post a little guide on how to do HDR with Lightworks? I'd love to use this software as it looks much more suited to me than everything else.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

bigjoe

Quote from: Schloime on September 11, 2012, 06:45:56 AM
@bigjoe: When shooting HDR, your ISO is switched between to values, so one picture is bright, the next is dark, then bright again. This explains the flickering liveview. In your editing-prog (vegas in your case) you need to separate the two exposures. Obviously you then have two videos with double speed, which you need to correct, too.
In your software you then should overlay the two tracks and with some appropriate tool extract the good parts of each track.. sounds complicated now...
Anyone with a workflow for Vegas?

I take one shot and there are only one video in my memory card. Even when i Import in sony vegas the exposure still up and down.... but when i import it into Premiere pro its doesn't blink... infact its a single layer... can anyone make a video tutorial pls.. or am i missing out some settings?