TONS of noise with RAW video

Started by agour, March 25, 2014, 11:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agour

Hey guys,

I've been trying to use RAW video on my 6D. I dropped it down to 2.5fps, and used a shutter of 1/3.3  The ISO was set to 1250, which should be fine..

But I've got horrific noise! See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm30doom7kgncjk/M000142.jpg

Any ideas what's happening?

Cheers
-agour

g3gg0

what temperature had your sensor at this time?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

agour

Not sure, is there any way to check after? I had only taken about 20 pics prior, so it shouldn't have been too warm

a1ex

Known problem with DIGIC V at low FPS. Try a faster shutter speed, maybe a higher ISO, and some other FPS optimizations.

For this situation it may be worth trying full-size pictures with intervalometer. LiveView exposure will throw away at least 2/3 of the photons.

agour

Unfortunately I really need the slow shutter speeds! When you say 'other FPS optimizations', what do you mean exactly?

I might be able to get away using s-raw (so the buffer won't fill). I'll probably have to buy a faster memory card though.

a1ex

I didn't mean shooting in burst, but shooting a frame every 2-3 seconds (judging from the light conditions from your sample, you would need a lot more light for decent results).

Another option would be to record at a higher frame rate and average some frames. You may try frame-merger, although it does not operate on raw data.