Card benchmark - what's the optimal write buffer size?

Started by a1ex, May 17, 2013, 04:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Where is the tool in the menus? Still can't find it...

edit: And now, of course, upon registering just to ask this question, I find it :P

togg

The CF graphic image in dropbox has been disabled :/ I had a lot of problems with the shipment of the Komputerbay card here in Italy. Now I have the chance to choose again.
The big question is, 32GB or 64?

bryantnaro

Chiming in to say the 128GB Komputerbay card was total junk. The speeds were all over the place, but it did roll raw for a bit. I kept getting multi-color weird pixel artifacts (weird glitches), that I saw one other person have in this forum. They said the problem went away when their komputerbay card was returned. Mine also stopped working, so that helps my cause. My advice: Don't gamble with Komputerbay, it's not worth the headache.

And here's that weird artifact I got:

nick.p

Quote from: bryantnaro on September 09, 2013, 07:36:12 AM
Chiming in to say the 128GB Komputerbay card was total junk. The speeds were all over the place, but it did roll raw for a bit. I kept getting multi-color weird pixel artifacts (weird glitches), that I saw one other person have in this forum. They said the problem went away when their komputerbay card was returned. Mine also stopped working, so that helps my cause. My advice: Don't gamble with Komputerbay, it's not worth the headache.

And here's that weird artifact I got:

I remember seeing something like this on another thread and I think the card died shortly afterwards. It had the same artefacts you experienced

bryantnaro

Yeah, the card is being sent back today. Bought a Lexar instead. ;)

jose_ugs

Quote from: xvince1 on May 30, 2013, 09:49:08 PM
Sorry for this noob Question, but I do not understand how you can create an align partition that can be usable in the camera, as every time the 5D read the new partition (with a good alignement), it detect that partition wasn't create in the DSLR, so I'm obliged to format the CF inside and the alignement goes out... I'v try many time, using the freeware "active partition manager" and I very don't understand what's wrong ...

I'm very disapointed as I have 2 Komputerbay x600 wich max up at 30Mb/s with bad alignement. Hoped to gain some biterate with alignement...  :'(

Stumbled upon these few lines, and figured out my "problematic" card is not aligned "properly"... How do you align a partition without having 5DM2 have you format it again?

RenatoPhoto

In windows run command line and type diskpart:

1) List your disks "list disk".
2) select the flash disk,  "select disk #".  Where # is the drive where the card is, be careful to select the correct drive number.
2) "clean" (wipes current partitions) *be sure it's the correct drive!*
3) "create partition primary align=4096"
4) "active" (sets the partition active/boot)

Now your card should be recognized by windows and will ask if you want to format.
Click yes and select fat32 with 64 kilobytes for partition size.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

jose_ugs

@RenatoPhoto: you're the man, thanks a ton!
Let's see if this affects the performance of this CF...

jose_ugs

Huh... totally don't know what happened!

"BOOTDISK flag is ENABLED. AUTOEXEC.BIN found. !!! ML/DATA/FONTS.DAT !!! NOT FOUND !!! Please copy ALL ML files on your SD card. They only take a few MB.

I'm on a 5DM2, there ain't no SD :)
Any ideas?

RenatoPhoto

When you use new builds you have to replace everything.  Cannot mix old ML with new autoexec.bin and modules.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

jose_ugs

Yeah, i got that long time ago... The problem was the card this time, after a Windows format i guess it's not bootable any more so i had to use the EOScard tool.
Bottom line is... the alignment didn't do a damn thing :( Bullshit Duracell CF, i was hoping i can start playing with it & ML RAW...

far.in.out

What is the right way to run the bench - LV or not LV? Any specific mode or settings required for accurate results?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)