Interesting comment on Raw and Adobe from an Adobe Rep

Started by Makaveli6103, March 25, 2014, 09:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makaveli6103

I am in the CreativeLive chatroom for one of their shows and was chatting with an Adobe Rep. I started talking about Magic Lantern and the rep said "ML raw video shooters there might be some good news soon."  He wouldn't say anything else. Any idea what this is?

Walter Schulz

Yes, native MLV support in AE and *all* other Adobe stuff.

Please, get real. Those who know are gagged by NDAs. Those who don't know are just guessing.

tjaja

Why not? MLV is not bad for busniss for Canon/Adobe?
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

Jockerl

Found in the official Adobe Blog:
http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2014/04/thenextpremiereproccrelease.html

QuotePremiere Pro's rich support for workflows in 5K and beyond is further enhanced, with new native support for CanonRAW and Sony SStP media. Enhanced CinemaDNG support (including Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Convergent Design Odyssey7Q, and CinemaDNG source settings), and a powerful new workflow for the ARRI AMIRA camera, where appropriate LUTs are applied on ingest at the master clip level are also available. Editors working with RED media will benefit greatly from the ability to debayer on a supported GPU, providing amazing playback performance up to full-resolution real-time playback on a workstation-class system.

Let´s see ;)

Walter Schulz

Cool down. "Canon RAW" doesn't have that much to do with ML but with C500 and siblings.

DFM

Thanks for the crosslink chmee.

To confirm - in the forthcoming builds of Premiere Pro CC / Media Encoder CC / Speedgrade CC the Mercury Playback Engine will support some (but not all) flavors of CinemaDNG footage created by ML tools, such as chmee's. ML cDNG import is a side effect of support for other cameras and Adobe aren't making a headline of it for obvious reasons, but it'll eliminate the need to bounce through AE or use the GingerHDR plugins. Instead of importing through Camera Raw, you will get a Lumetri quick-adjust dialog similar to the one for ArriRAW. Playback will be fully accelerated, I can scrub through 1080p footage on my relatively feeble laptop and play back in real time with a bunch of grades and effects slapped on. Disk read speed will be your only practical limit to playback smoothness.

Yes it'd be nice to import RAW or MLV files natively, but we have to be realistic - Adobe has close ties to the major camera manufacturers, and can't be seen to be actively targeting a 'hacked' format however good it is.