Canon7D + Magic Lantern Raw + Davinci Resolve + Gorgeous Maine

Started by flavediller, March 25, 2014, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flavediller

Hey everyone. Here are some examples of coloring capabilities with Canon 7D magic lantern raw using Davinci Resolve. All shot in gorgeous Maine, United States in 2013 and 2014.

ted ramasola

Are are the shots in 1X mode? Did you use the VAF in all the shots?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

arrinkiiii

Nice testing, thanks.

-Why the selective color, what is for? 

-How do you do a diffusion layer?

bischofftep

Quote from: flavediller on March 25, 2014, 05:01:39 PM
Hey everyone. Here are some examples of coloring capabilities with Canon 7D magic lantern raw using Davinci Resolve. All shot in gorgeous Maine, United States in 2013 and 2014.

Beautiful!

Mind sharing your settings, lensing, and post production workflow?
Douglas E. Bischoff
Audio/Video Production & Scoring

Jbowdach

flavediller

A lot of this video is from scattered short films/music videos in Maine. Its hard to remember the exact lenses/settings used every time.
Most of it was shot on a 35mm Rokinon lens or the Tokina 11-16 if I was using crop mode...which in these examples weren't very often.
Only the horse footage and a little of the beach footage was used with the VAF Mosaic filter. If you look closely at the nature shot that has the single tree branches in the foreground...around 30 seconds in...you can clearly see some pink fringing around the highlights on the branches. This shot was from a raw module WAY back in August 2013 when the whole raw thing for 7D was pretty new.
I've also noticed that like an idiot I say "mlr" format instead of "mlv".

Shooting crop mode with the Tokina 11-16 is wonderful. It really compensates for the "zoomed in" shakiness as you might expect...and the lens itself is amazingly sharp and I love the color it produces. Its also a super fast lens. HIGHLY recomended...though I hear Tokina has a newer version either already out or coming out soon....you might want to look for that. As far as other lenses go, I tend to stick to manual lenses and I'm a big fan of the Rokinon/Bower/Samyang etc series. All of those lenses are the same manufacturer as far as I know. They are usually extremely sharp and with huge fast aperatures. Best of all they are usually very inexpensive. I'm assuming this is because they don't waste any money on autofocus or anything fancy...instead sticking to basic ultrasharp glass with a great focus ring for smooth racking. I'd hold up some of my $450 dollar glass against some $2500 Canon L series glass ANY day and I think I'd come out ahead.

Overall this video is more about what you can do in Davinci than strictly what you can do with Raw. The early stuff in the video is mostly used to describe color correction instead of total grading. I feel like people breaking into editing tend to combine Color Correction and Color Grading into the same thing...but they really should be separated into two distinct concepts. The farther you get into the video the more ridiculous I get with the color GRADING but it is purely an excuse to show off how far you can push Raw footage with Davinci Resolve.

Davinici Resolve will be releasing a full editing suite in their newest incarnation in June and I personally can't wait. It will be very gratifying to be able to do everything (assuming the system works well) in one program instead of a workflow between Premiere Pro and Davinici and occasionally After Effects.

As it stands whenever I try to do the "roundtrip" technique (using REEL names) with Premiere Pro and Davinci I always get error messages when I try it with Raw files. I end up having to do a more "old fashioned" technique of rendering out all my Davinci Resolve corrected files into Premiere as high quality dnxhd files. I think this is limiting and pretty frustrating. In bigger projects I would prefer to output a whole timeline from Premiere INTO Davinci Resolve and then do final coloring...but of course this is when I run into the errors. As I said before...having a self contained system (and hopefully for free like Davinci 10 Lite) would be a dream.

I have actually been shooting on the beach outside my house all fall winter and now spring. Theres nothign more gorgeous than a beach in the winter, devoid of people and totally untouched...with early morning fog and mist drifting above the waves while the sun starts to break through on the horizon.

I will eventually post a longer and more informative video that details my workflow and equipment in a more Tutorial type video.

I am, for the record, in NO way shape or form employed or endorsed by Davinci, BlackMagic, Adobe or any company outside of my own production company TrustyDuckProductions. I do however, for what its worth, HIGHLY endorse Magic Lantern and the work they do and wonderful software they provide.

David C. Miller
TrustyDuck Productions
https://vimeo.com/davidcmiller

N/A

Nice video, I agree with you on the Rokinon/Samyang line of manuals. This makes me quite excited to get the Tokina 11-16 as well.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?