Locking mirror forever to preserve shutter life?

Started by Nautilus, March 24, 2014, 01:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nautilus

I don't take any pictures with my camera, not at all. All i do is video recording. As my job requires it, i have to turn it on and off pretty often (also to preserve the battery).

So I don't want the mirror to move when I turn on and off the camera. To me it's just eating precious shutter life. Can you force camera to make the mirror stay the same all the time?
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Rewind

Nautilus

Quote from: Rewind on March 24, 2014, 01:08:54 AM
Mirror and shutter are different things.

Sorry i'm not good with terms. But I believe you get what I mean. When I check shutter count under Debug tab in ML menu I see that "Shutter Actuation"  is around 2K. Since the shutter life is limited, can't we find a way to stop shutter to make that "CLICK" sound every time we turn the camera on and off?
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

Marsu42

(deleted, though good answer for another question)

Rewind

Mirror has nothing to do with shutter (for example, you can lock up the mirror with VAF filter, but shutter count will continue counting, because shutter opens and closes anyway)

The shutter's free state is closed, so opening shutter is power-consuming process. How do you exactly realize that shutter stays always open even with the camera off? You can just lock it mechanically.

Or you may probably just remove it ))
By the way why bother if you don't make photos with this camera?

Rewind

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 24, 2014, 01:27:10 AM
Yes, silent pics from live view - it's already in ML. The problem is that these silent raw dngs have low resolution, and my nagging to re-implement a high-res mode (matrix like old 422 or something new) weren't heard by the gods yet :-p

Topicstarter does not interested in photos. And he is asking about shutter lock up in open state even with camera off. Silent pics are helpless for him I think ))

Nautilus

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 24, 2014, 01:27:10 AM
Yes, silent pics from live view - it's already in ML. The problem is that these silent raw dngs have low resolution, and my nagging to re-implement a high-res mode (matrix like old 422 or something new) weren't heard by the gods yet :-p

As I said, i'm not intrested in photos. I'm looking for a way to stop shutter actuation when go to Live View.

Nautilus

Quote from: Rewind on March 24, 2014, 01:33:02 AM
Mirror has nothing to do with shutter (for example, you can lock up the mirror with VAF filter, but shutter count will continue counting, because shutter opens and closes anyway)

The shutter's free state is closed, so opening shutter is power-consuming process. How do you exactly realize that shutter stays always open even with the camera off? You can just lock it mechanically.

Or you may probably just remove it ))
By the way why bother if you don't make photos with this camera?

Dang.. I really don't get how the cameras work. All i need to know is... Does it really serve any purpose for shutter to actuate when recording videos? Or is Canon wasting our precious shutter count just so we buy new camera every 3-5 years or so?

If I happen to find a way to stop it actuating mechanically (squeezing a paper around somewhere? lol), would it effect the video shooting capability of my camera?

Marsu42

Quote from: Nautilus on March 24, 2014, 01:38:38 AM
As I said, i'm not intrested in photos. I'm looking for a way to stop shutter actuation when go to Live View.

Wupps, I didn't read that - the idea that the few flips on camera on/off will kill your shutter was too much to fit into my head :-p ... sorry. Anyway, I doubt that's really an issue, and I further doubt ML can do anything about the Canon fw trying to protect the sensor when the camera is off.

Quote from: Nautilus on March 24, 2014, 01:42:49 AMOr Canon is wasting our precious shutter count just so we buy new camera every 3-5 years or so.

Talking of that, why does my 600ex-rt flash head insist to zoom all the way out if I switch master/slave mode? Now that's 500€ into the trashcan after 1-2 years, go figure...

dmilligan

You'd have to turn the camera off and on at least 2 - 3 times every hour of every day for 5 years straight to even get close to the normal shutter life

romainmenke

My 5D2 is above 70K actuations with another 10K live view.
So I'd say if you are only at 2K you'll be good for a while.

Pro DSLR's are rated at at least 150K.

Worry about hot pixels, 4K taking over the industry, global warming, ....
This is not an issue you will ever need to deal with.

Quote from: Nautilus on March 24, 2014, 01:42:49 AM
If I happen to find a way to stop it actuating mechanically (squeezing a paper around somewhere? lol), would it effect the video shooting capability of my camera?

I don't think it will affect video, but it won't save battery. Jamming the shutter doesn't turn of the mechanism and it will still draw power