*relative* time between to shots (intervalometer)

Started by blackno666, March 23, 2014, 10:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackno666

ML Nightly, 2014-03-17 550d

Hi,

the docs for the release state that I can use the intervalometer from 1/8000 @ ISO 100 to several minutes of exposure @ ISO 6400. Do I then need to set the intervalometer to several minutes as well (I would like to shoot in M, using auto ETTR)?

I would like to take pictures every 8 seconds (during day) but during night, the exposure time should increase to a minute.

My understanding is that currently the time specified for the intervalometer is the time between the start of two images (start = start of exposure). I would like the time to be the time between the end of the first shot to the start of the next shot. I try to clarify on a time axis:

xo----xoo---xooo--xooo--xoo---xo----xo----

x denotes when a pictures starts to be taken.
o denotes when a picture is exposed (shutter still open), in the "graph" this would mean that exposure increases first, then drops again
- denotes wait time from the intervalometer

I would like the behaviour to be
xo----xoo----xooo----xooo----xoo----xo----xo----

which would mean that no matter how long the exposure of one picture takes, the next picture only is taken for example 4 seconds after that (the amount of "-" is always the same between two pictures).

I hope you understand my question and there is a solution for this (I also look at adv_int.mo, but this would take lots of testing and measuring).

This question must have been asked before in some way or the other, but I was not able to find a solution.

Best regards
blackno666

dmilligan

I was thinking about implementing something like this for adv_int. I use the intervalometer for astro-photography and I like to do sets of various exposure times with a short time between each sub and it'd be nice not to have to change two settings each time I do this. Ex: 2min exposures with 5s between shots, then 5min exposure with 5s then 10min with 5s etc.

I'll look into it, shouldn't be too hard, just specify the time between shots that you want and adv_int sets the interval period to that + current shutter/bulb time

maurogar

Hi friends:
I hope someone can help me. I´ve tried to make a stars timelapse usin Intervalometer to shoot pictures every 25 seconds with 20 secs of exposition, but ML doesnt respect or apply the interval duration, it just start to take the next photo immediatly after finishing the last one.
Thanks and Bests

dmilligan

Just to be clear, you set interval time in ML menu to 25" and shutter speed to 20"?

Time it with a stopwatch and report your findings here. Try at least several different settings too.

barepixels

did you have noise reduction on?  that would double each exposure time.
5D2 + nightly ML

maurogar

Quote from: dmilligan on August 12, 2014, 12:54:01 PM
Just to be clear, you set interval time in ML menu to 25" and shutter speed to 20"?

Time it with a stopwatch and report your findings here. Try at least several different settings too.
Hi.
Yes, 25" intervals for 20" exposures. I've tried on Manual mode and Bulb, same result, not working.
I´ve tried different settings, but it has been impossible that the Intervalomenter obeys the setting on "Take a picture every..."
I measured as you asked, and the intervals are on every 3 secs.
I'm using Canon 5D mark II in photo mode. I've tried with the last stable version magiclantern-v2.3.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.5D2 and with nightly build magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug08.5D2212
Thank you so much!

maurogar

Quote from: barepixels on August 12, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
did you have noise reduction on?  that would double each exposure time.
Hi!
I don't have it on, as far as I know (where is it?), but the problem is the interval time.
Thanks

dmilligan

Quote from: maurogar on August 16, 2014, 05:20:27 AM
I measured as you asked, and the intervals are on every 3 secs.
I have no idea what that means. I was looking for something like this:

00:00 picture 1 start
00:20 picture 1 end
00:25 picture 2 start
00:45 picture 2 end
00:50 picture 3 start
01:10 picture 3 end
etc...