[50D]Exposure is adjusted by ML/Camera even in full manual mode

Started by andy.cox.1976, March 23, 2014, 08:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.cox.1976

Hi All, I've been frustrated by an issue that I have been unable to solve. When shooting RAW, in manual mode (manual ISO, shutter & aperture) I am finding that the exposure is still being adjusted in response to changing brightness. This results in undesirable changes in brightness in the captured video. I'm really not sure how this is happening. I am shooting at 24fps. Can anyone shed some light (boom boom) on this? Is this something that is more prevalent under low lighting conditions, for example? Many thanks in advance!

Canon EOS 50D
Default ML settings other than enabling the RAW module and FPS override to 24fps.
Nightly build from late 2013, December 8th.
1/50 sec, f8.0, ISO 200

https://vimeo.com/89860933

dmilligan

camera? version? settings? post processing workflow? example footage?

andy.cox.1976

ted ramasola

Quote from: andy.cox.1976 on March 23, 2014, 08:29:17 PM
Canon EOS 50D
Default ML settings other than enabling the RAW module and FPS override to 24fps.
Nightly build from late 2013, December 8th.
1/50 sec, f8.0, ISO 200

Try the latest build. Its hard to give help when your using a very old build. So many changes has already been made.

Make another test and come back to post your results.

Question after watching your video.
What lens are you using?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

andy.cox.1976

Interestingly the issue stops manifesting when I enable "exposure simulation". Not clear what the link is exactly!  Thanks for your input so far guys. The lens is a Sigma 35mm f1.4 'A' series.

dmilligan

That makes sense sort of. Try using exposure override. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 50D as it has no built in movie mode, LV behavior is a bit peculiar at times.

andy.cox.1976

Yes there is a vague sort of logic as to why this is occurring. The issue only manefests in lower-light situations, and it's almost like the camera is trying to boost the brightness of the Liveview image by cranking open the aperture, but presumably "exposure sim" overrides that in order to accurately present the exposure. *shrugs*

By the way, if anyone cares, the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is an amazing lens!!

Thanks again.

AsherVast

I have the same issue. When shooting in raw mode (In Manual) drastic changes from dark to light trigger some sort of exposure compensation in the camera that is very noticeable in post. This does not happen when shooting non raw. I am shooting on a Zeiss 50mm F2.0 Prime but it's noticeable on all my lenses. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's an example at 0:57

http://youtu.be/3EDByQGnuUQ?t=56s