Can the 7D shoot 2.5k RAW continuously?

Started by joeydingding, March 23, 2014, 03:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeydingding

I have a silly question I was looking in the RAW capability spreadshoot and I was wondering, can the 7D shoot 2.5k or 2k RAW continuously in 5x crop mode?

Thanks.
7D - 50D - GH2

ted ramasola

Once FPS override will be ported back to ML from TL it will be able to shoot continuously at 2048  x 930   2.20:1  @ 23.976fps.
With a 1000X CF it will be continuous. With a KB 218gig 1050X it will do 1 minute.

2496 x1200  2:1 @ 17fps is also possible for 52 seconds.

For now. No, since ML has no FPS override yet on the 7D.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

joeydingding

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 23, 2014, 06:39:21 PM
Once FPS override will be ported back to ML from TL it will be able to shoot continuously at 2048  x 930   2.20:1  @ 23.976fps.
With a 1000X CF it will be continuous. With a KB 218gig 1050X it will do 1 minute.

2496 x1200  2:1 @ 17fps is also possible for 52 seconds.

For now. No, since ML has no FPS override yet on the 7D.

Thank you for your answer! But is the writing speed of the 7D CF card interface fast enough to do 2496 x1200 on 24fps continuous?
7D - 50D - GH2

ted ramasola

Quote from: joeydingding on March 23, 2014, 08:50:52 PM
Thank you for your answer! But is the writing speed of the 7D CF card interface fast enough to do 2496 x1200 on 24fps continuous?

No.

It can only do 6 seconds at 23.976
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

joeydingding

One last question. Will the 7D ever be able to shoot raw on 1920x1080 on no crop mode?
7D - 50D - GH2

ted ramasola

Quote from: joeydingding on March 23, 2014, 09:14:22 PM
One last question. Will the 7D ever be able to shoot raw on 1920x1080 on no crop mode?

Based on my understanding from the technical explanations from the developers. No.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

joeydingding

But It can shoot 1080p in crop mode right? Sorry I'm annoying you with this.
7D - 50D - GH2

ted ramasola

Yes it can do 1920x1080 for approx 40 seconds at 23.976fps.
Continuous non stop at 23fps.

But only when FPS override will be ported back to ML from TL.

Without FPS override, ML can only do approx 9 seconds at 30fps in crop mode.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Midphase

Quote from: joeydingding on March 23, 2014, 09:14:22 PM

1780X817 (or something like that) will get you in the general ballpark. Shooting in Crop mode is IMHO not practical unless you really have time on your hands and your crew is willing to sit around while you set it up and then immediately convert and double check the footage since shooting in crop seems a lot more prone to corrupted frames in my experience.

If you want a good alternative to the 7D with 1920x1080 at 24fps, you might consider looking into the Blackmagic Pocket camera.

ted ramasola

Even higher than 1780X817 is 1856x1044  16:9 @23.976fps. Its continuous.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

joeydingding

1856x1044 is good! Thanks! Well I bought a BMPCC friday and brought it back. The camera suffered from countless of hot pixels at 200ASA. The reseller gave me a new one, that one also suffered from countless of stuck pixels on 200ASA. 1600ASA was like stargazing. I returned it again and got another one, also suffering from countless of stuck pixels. I know every camera has stuck pixels but the footage coming from the BMPCC was unusable!

I'm very angry at Black magic for their poooooor quality checks and I think these camera are fraudulent products. I then bought myself a black magic cinema 2.5k camera because I hoped it was just a batch of faulty BMPCC. But no.. it was not the horror continued. Stuck pixels countless of them on lower iso more visible on higher iso, vertical banding the shadows. I returned this to the reseller again and he returned all these camera's back to Black Magic. Then I bought the 7D instead because it has a CF card so more bandwidth then other Canons except the 5D Mark III of course and I never had problems with Canon cameras.

DO NOT BUY A BLACK MAGIC POCKET!!! THEY EVEN ADMITTED THESE CAMERAS SUFFERS FROM INSANE AMOUNT OF HOT PIXELS.
7D - 50D - GH2

nick.p

I'm sorry to say the 7D doesn't have the best ISO performance and will probably suffer from hot pixels. I guess that's sensors for you

Midphase

Quote from: joeydingding on March 23, 2014, 10:20:49 PMDO NOT BUY A BLACK MAGIC POCKET!!! THEY EVEN ADMITTED THESE CAMERAS SUFFERS FROM INSANE AMOUNT OF HOT PIXELS.

Two friends of mine who have bought the BMPCC love it and have yet to report any stuck pixels. Same with another good friend who has shot with his fair share of them.

Maybe the store had a really bad batch, or you're just incredibly unlucky. Not saying that BM hasn't had quality issues, but there are a lot of BMPCC out there which perform flawlessly.

But yeah, the 7D ISO performance isn't particularly spectacular. I didn't realize how relatively poor it was compared to even the old 5D2 until I had an opportunity to shoot with one. Buy yourself some crazy fast lenses!

Danson Delta-40

GOING POSTAL SINCE 1995 BABY

Midphase

Anamorphic shooting (done on the cheap) is simply not practical. You can't pull focus, you're extremely limited in your focal range, the anamorphic adapter needs to be constantly adjusted and checked for proper alignment.

joeydingding

Quote from: nick.p on March 23, 2014, 11:16:31 PM
I'm sorry to say the 7D doesn't have the best ISO performance and will probably suffer from hot pixels. I guess that's sensors for you

I don't go higher than 640 iso on any camera. Even on the Red Scarlet I told my DP not to go higher than that. So yeah that's sensors for me. I'm not a run-gun shooter I take time for my shot. I rather shoot on a 7D with poor low light performance than a BMPCC with HOT pixels on the native 200ASA. Maybe I have bad luck.... But if you read the black magic forums and reviews you see that more people had "bad luck".

I shot on the GH2 in poor low light conditions with good fast lenses with limited dynamic range and still I had very good images. With GH2 I never go higher than 320 iso.
7D - 50D - GH2

joeydingding

Quote from: Midphase on March 23, 2014, 11:38:59 PM

But yeah, the 7D ISO performance isn't particularly spectacular. I didn't realize how relatively poor it was compared to even the old 5D2 until I had an opportunity to shoot with one. Buy yourself some crazy fast lenses!

Fast lenses? What about some good light to get some proper exposure. The LOW light performance of the BMPCC isn't quite good either and very limited ISO options. I love the 200ASA ISO on the BMPCC very crisp only some hot pixels in the blacks. The 800ASA ISO is noisy and banding in the shadows.

I'm not saying the 7D is a great camera or something. Also the 7D has it's problems but not faulty sensors.
7D - 50D - GH2

bischofftep

Quote from: Danson Delta-40 on March 24, 2014, 03:46:56 AM
Get an anamorphic lens and start shooting 2.5k today!
[SNIP....]
2816x1156!

Planning to do exactly that this week. Would you mind posting or PM'ing with any caveats or things you've learned shooting raw/anamorphic on the 7D for those of us about to dive into it? Many thanks in advance... and yes... that's a pretty sweet looking video you got there!
Douglas E. Bischoff
Audio/Video Production & Scoring

joeydingding

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 23, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
Even higher than 1780X817 is 1856x1044  16:9 @23.976fps. Its continuous.

Only in crop mode right?
7D - 50D - GH2

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

joeydingding

Quote from: Danson Delta-40 on March 24, 2014, 03:46:56 AM
Get an anamorphic lens and start shooting 2.5k today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9hX1YsDxvs

2816x1156!

Amazing results! Cheers! I'm going to buy myself an anamorphic lens. It really looks like film!
7D - 50D - GH2

Midphase

Jackeatley

Quote from: joeydingding on March 24, 2014, 08:38:39 AM
I don't go higher than 640 iso on any camera. Even on the Red Scarlet I told my DP not to go higher than that. So yeah that's sensors for me. I'm not a run-gun shooter I take time for my shot. I rather shoot on a 7D with poor low light performance than a BMPCC with HOT pixels on the native 200ASA. Maybe I have bad luck.... But if you read the black magic forums and reviews you see that more people had "bad luck".

I shot on the GH2 in poor low light conditions with good fast lenses with limited dynamic range and still I had very good images. With GH2 I never go higher than 320 iso.

Not sure thats the smartest piece of advice i've ever read...

The Reds native ISO is 800, thats where it performs best, the Canons native is at 100 and the native steps are 100, 200, 400, 800. 
A colleague of mine liked 640 on the 7D too, but we've decided to be rather careful about it after looking at the DXO information about the camera.

"Low light performance" is a misnomer, its a non technical way to describe lots of different things. Lots of people have this obsession with tiny ISOs or clean files at stupidly high ones. Neither is totally smart. Dynamic range will be best at native speed settings, there should a be a good reason for not being there.

Remember that these days you can get rid of a bit of noise, you can't fix a badly lit scene, or recover a scene without sufficient dynamic range.

joeydingding

Quote from: Midphase on March 24, 2014, 04:33:34 AM
the anamorphic adapter needs to be constantly adjusted and checked for proper alignment.

That's why you need to buy a square front anamorphic lens
7D - 50D - GH2