Formatting card and making other ML cards

Started by julianelliott, March 23, 2014, 08:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

julianelliott

Good morning all

New to the forum and two very simple questions if I may.

1) When I format my memory card in my Canon 5D Mark II in the normal way does it wipe off the ML files during the formatting process?

2) If I want to have another card that has the ML software on it do I just copy the files onto it? I know it sounds simple but I was wondering when the camera installed the software whether anything was written to the ML files contained on the memory card.

Thanks for any help and sorry if the questions seem simple to those more advanced users of the ML system.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: julianelliott on March 23, 2014, 08:12:32 AM
1) When I format my memory card in the normal way does it wipe off the ML files during the formatting process?

My normal way is throwing the card into a tachyon beam modulated according to earth's axis tilt (nutation compensated, of course).
Please don't assume that *your* normal is normal for other people. Describe your way and other persons might be able to follow.

If you format the card using your PC/Mac all ML data will be gone.
If you format your card inside your camera with ML running you are able to choose. You can keep ML and you can wipe it from the card.

Quote from: julianelliott on March 23, 2014, 08:12:32 AM
2) If I want to have another card that has the ML software on it do I just copy the files onto it? I know it sounds simple but I was wondering when the camera installed the software whether anything was written to the ML files contained on the memory card.

You need a bootable card and ML files on it. Depending which camera you use (and depending on ML version used) this has to be done using a cardreader via PC/Mac or may be done while inserted into cam.

You need 3 things to run ML
- A cam with a firmware version supported by ML *and* the cam's bootflag set. Setting the bootflag has to be done once for each cam.
- A bootable card. Has to be done at least once for each card you want ML to run from. If you're formating the card using PC/Mac (or a cam without ML active) your card will loose the boot ability.
- ML files on the card.

Read User Guide/FAQ and use the search function.

julianelliott

1) Formatting my card.

My "normal" way is to put it in the Canon 5D Mark II; press menu and then scroll through to format.

2) Thank you.

So for each card that I want ML on I copy across the files using my card reader and then go through the process again of installing ML. Correct?

schedonnardus

Quote from: julianelliott on March 23, 2014, 10:45:56 AM
1) Formatting my card.

My "normal" way is to put it in the Canon 5D Mark II; press menu and then scroll through to format.

2) Thank you.

So for each card that I want ML on I copy across the files using my card reader and then go through the process again of installing ML. Correct?

if ML is already installed and running on your camera, then you only need the files on any new cards (and to make the cards bootable through the EOScard application