ACR Profiles and RAW_Rec

Started by Bassman2003, March 21, 2014, 12:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman2003

Hello,

I am testing out RAW recording on my 5D MKIII and have tried both RAW_Rec and MLV formats with an After Effects workflow.  I would like to have ACR profiles available to adjust my color but they are not showing up when I use RAW_Rec.  MLV is showing some blotchy areas, so I will stick with RAW_Rec for now.

Is there any way to get profile to work in ACR using RAW_Rec?

Thanks.

chmee

your files have to have the according Model-ID. what converter you're using?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Bassman2003

Hello,

I have tried a few - ML RAW Viewer and MLV browser.

Bassman2003

Hello.  Is there any way to trick the converters to get the metadata involved?  I tried adding a .CR2 file in with the batch but that did not work.

Kharak

If you are recording with raw_rec, then your raw2dng needs to be hardcoded for your camera model.

What camera are you using? search the forum for raw2dng for your camera model.. If nothing comes up, try asking one of the developers attached to your model if he can hardcode a raw2dng. Think it's fairly easy for them to do so.
once you go raw you never go back

monograph

You can use ExifTool to mark the .dng files as coming from your camera (5D MKIII). Then ACR will "open up"...

Here you get ExifTool :  http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

And this is the code (I use at least, and works):

exiftool -progress -overwrite_original -r -Model="Canon EOS 5D Mark III" -UniqueCameraModel="Canon EOS 5D Mark III" (foldername or filename to process)

PS: If you use a mac you can put the code into raw2dng.app so that he does this automatically when processing the .RAW files. Maybe the windows converters are open to such script changes too ?
5D3

monograph

yes, as Kharak says, hardcoding the raw2dng program is perhaps a better solution (if someone can compile it for your system). The changes are made to the file chdk-dng.c in the src folder:

line 194:           static char cam_name[32]                    = "Canikon";
is changed to:   static char cam_name[32]                    = "Canon EOS 5D Mark III";

...if you want to start compiling on your own ;)
5D3

Rewind

It is not neccessary to know such a scary words like "compile" to actually hardcode the camera model into the raw2dng. You can use any good text editor with HEX view function to find particular string (Canon EOS) in file and repalce it with appropriate camera model. As I did for my 650D for example.
Just make sure you keep the length of the document and put zeros into characters that should be empty.

(Notepad ++ with HEX plugin)
Also... you'll feel like a real hacker right )))

monograph

hihi, I wish it was so easy on a mac  :o   (or is it ?)
5D3

Bassman2003

Thanks for your replies!  I will give this a shot in a day or two.  I have color profiles for all of my lenses that I use for still work inside Lightroom.  Being able to use these profiles is very important to me for video as well. 

chmee

@Rewind
maybe you had luck :) the tiff-metadata inside the file also the saves the String-Length - and what happends, if it's longer or shorter than stated? you could destroy some data behind this string - then the file could come corrupt. No, exiftool is a good way to go.

Canon EOS 6D (length 12 chars)
Canon EOS 650D (length 14 chars)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III (length 21 chars)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Rewind

Yeah, mark iii (the default) is the longest. So if one put another camera name and replace other symbols with zeros, everything goes right )

Bassman2003

Thank you very much everybody!  I downloaded a hex editor, made the change to the MKIII and now I have profiles in ACR.  Thank you once again!!

fotosav

Quote from: Bassman2003 on March 24, 2014, 12:13:44 AM
now I have profiles in ACR.
Hi!
What is "profiles in ACR" mean?
Could you explain where in After Effects I can see ACR profiles to adjust color?

Bassman2003

When you open a .DNG file using Adobe Camera RAW, you have the option to load pre-made color profiles for your camera.  This under the "Camera Calibration" icon.  Adobe has made some like "Camera Faithful", "Camera Standard" or you have the option to create your own using the Adobe DNG Profiler software.

Without these profiles the color is not as exact as it should be.  This is a huge reason why I am jumping through all of the RAW hoops - to get dailed in color from my 5DMKIII video.

fotosav

Bassman2003, thanks!
Quote from: Bassman2003 on March 24, 2014, 02:51:19 PM
When you open a .DNG file using Adobe Camera RAW, you have the option to load pre-made color profiles for your camera.  This under the "Camera Calibration" icon.  Adobe has made some like "Camera Faithful", "Camera Standard" or you have the option to create your own using the Adobe DNG Profiler software.
As I remember the 7.3 version of ACR has no these profiles (Camera Standard, etc). The ACR 8.4 beta has it, see picture:

Embedded - what's this? ???

fotosav

Bassman2003, you right - the Adobe and Embedded profiles have wrong colors (yellow color is shifted to green for me).

I noticed when I convert MLV by mlrawviewer.exe (1.1.3) the Canon profiles are not available in "Camera Calibration" (embedded only).
When I convert MLV by MLVBrowseSharp.exe the Canon profiles are available!
What tool do you use to convert MVL files?
What tool is the best?

Bassman2003

I am using RAW_REC so I do not have MLV files.  I am using the converter mentioned in the thread above your posts - RAW2DNG.

Camera profiles have been in ACR for a long time, well before the 8.4 beta.  I have 8.3 on my system.  The Camera profiles are pretty accurate.  I just like to tweak some colors like certain purples, some reds etc... that are not correctly represented.

cpc

Quote from: fotosav on March 24, 2014, 08:49:28 PM
Embedded - what's this? ???

That's the profile calculated from the metadata tags in the DNG file.