About search function

Started by Walter Schulz, March 20, 2014, 10:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Hi!

Is it possible to give some hints about the search function's context sensitivity?

If you access search via -> Magic Lantern Forum search is covering all the forums.
If you access search in a thread your search will only find results in this thread.

This should be visible *before* entering your search terms.

Ciao
Walter

Audionut

I must be blind.  Where is this search from within a thread?
No matter where I am in the forum, when I hit the search button, top left, I end up at the same search page.

For me, I would like to see the search url reflect the options set in the search page.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on March 20, 2014, 10:41:59 AM
I must be blind.  Where is this search from within a thread?

Top right. Below "Home Page|Downloads|User Guide"
Try search term "before". Then try -> Magic Lantern Forum (Top left) and search "before".

See the difference? ;-)

Audionut

Oh wow, that's handy lol.  Saves having to define search parameters in standard search panel.
I was under the impression that it simply provided a quick option box for the regular search.

Defiantly needs to be renamed.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on March 20, 2014, 11:02:54 AMSaves having to define search parameters in standard search panel.

Search parameters? Which one are available and why is there no hint how to use those?

Audionut

Walter Schulz

I see!
If you use the search box top right you use a context sensitve search. Advanced not available. If you just hit the button you are asked to add some search terms and advanced search is available. When using this you do a global search.
Accessing the search item via bar "Home Help Search My messages Members Logout" instead will give you access to advanced search but only a global one.

Sigh ... I think I want FIDO and Crosspoint back ...

Audionut

IMHO, the search box top right, should just be a dumb search.  This is the way it works on all other forums I've used it on.
Then an advanced search link should be available next to that search box.

Each thread should have a "search this thread" option.  A dumb search would probably be fine here, but being able to search by post time, and by username would be useful.