About forking Magic Lantern and the support that can be provided on this forum

Started by nanomad, March 19, 2014, 08:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idealsceneprod

Quote from: nanomad on March 19, 2014, 08:37:15 PM
What about existing threads and posts?
Any remaining threads about Tragic Lantern will be moved to this section. Next week they will be locked out and put in read-only mode

I keep getting an error when I try to access this section. Has the move not been completed yet? Or am I experiencing another issue. Error message says:

"An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

dmilligan

Quote from: idealsceneprod on March 31, 2014, 03:17:53 PM
"An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

idealsceneprod

Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

flavediller

Everyone on this site who is an end-user and not a coder needs to back up and think clearly about what is going on. A group of people (ML) are providing a service that we DON'T pay for. They are taking extra time to make sure the service is safe and won't ruin our cameras. They also invented the system and technique and whole concept of these Canon "hacks" to begin with. Another group/person works somewhat independently...doesn't follow the rules, consistently puts cameras at risk according to the polices and procedures dictated by the original group, and you blame the original group for pushing out the other party? 1 they have every reason to do this and 2 they have every right to do this. Not to mention the fact that they aren't excluding and banning the creator of TL from the site or punishing him/her.

Almost every complaint I see is from someone who is being unbelievably selfish. You are complaining because you WANT more. Because you WANT TL and ML for no other reason than that you want your end-user experience to be served. You are taking no consideration for the fact that this is all free. Show some compassion, concern, and understanding for these coders. They are trying to protect their reputation, their credibility and your own personal end-user cameras! Can you blame a person for taking the time to make sure a product is safe and practical just because another person is plunging forward recklessly? 

If you created a product...and then this other guy started working with you but then started going off on their own with your idea and started taking big risks with it....what do you think YOU'D do?

Support TL all you want. I personally support TL and will continue to do so. I love what TL has done....but I don't blame or discredit ML for the decision they have made. I personally do not have any ability to conceive whether or not TL is risky or making bad decisions, but my opinion has absolutely no bearing here. ML gets to make that decision and they have made it. It is perfectly reasonable. Maybe people should try working WITHIN the system for the greater good instead of complaining because they aren't getting everything they want for free on a silver platter.

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on March 30, 2014, 10:16:19 PM
Say what?

I'm grateful for you to find those stubs. Some people took it and worked on it to get raw recording running. However, it took the community to deliver a 7D to 1% to finally get .raw and .mlv to run on it. Without the community effort, the 7D users will only have the high-bitrate .fir.

Now, I don't mean that there's no work done on the backend of ML. It's just that without devs working on the 7D anymore, the general populace who couldn't compile ML if their lives depended on it, wouldn't have access to the developments. Especially unported modules and such.

Quote from: idealsceneprod on March 31, 2014, 03:17:53 PM
I keep getting an error when I try to access this section. Has the move not been completed yet? Or am I experiencing another issue. Error message says:

"An Error Has Occurred!

It loads fine with me. Although everything's been locked, so there's that.

Quote from: flavediller on April 02, 2014, 05:55:52 AM
If you created a product...and then this other guy started working with you but then started going off on their own with your idea and started taking big risks with it....what do you think YOU'D do?

I would chill, and see what the other guy is doing in terms of what they're changing and taking that and adding it back to what I have as I see fit, and work with the guy to improve what he's doing. Since this is what Open Source software is.

Don't forget, ML is GPL.

At any rate, now that the TL section has been closed off, I recommend we cease this back and forth as it is counterproductive, and we better focus on further bettering the firmware and the community. Apologies if any of what I said in this thread hurts anyone's feelings. They are merely sincere feedback from an avid fan.

Great work, everyone, and thanks for all your efforts.

ffinv

I am also unable to load the section  :( Getting the same error. All that community knowledge/contribution, testing data, user & developer insights, just gone? No hope of getting it back, even in locked form?

Flexinoodle

So am i right in thinking that all the mods for the 600d like GOP and slice and such, are never going to be in ML because they have been refused by the ML devs or where never submitted ?
Not trying to be a troll at all here, just wondering if i should be thinking about going back to ML when it doesn't currently have these mods.

On a sidenote, getting rid of all the threads is very poor behaviour it has to be said, read only would have been great (As stated) but removing them like you have, just seem a little childish, lot of lost valuable data (Was relevant to ML too)

nanomad

It depends on how they are done. If they simply override in memory values I don't see why they shouldn't make into ML.
If they require assertion patching they won't.
I've never seen the code so I can't say. A pull request to review it would be the best course of action.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Flexinoodle

Sorry, i don't even know what a pull request is, i use the software to get better work out of my 600d, beyond that i don't really know anything and have no bones in this at all (Mad respect for everybody involved in any of this)

Flexinoodle

If i was to set up a forum for the other package, would there be any chance i could get access to all the now non accessable posts ?
I learnt to use most of ML from the 600d posts, they where great font of information from users and such.

nanomad

Sure.
I'll be making The tragic Lantern Section read only anyway as there's valuable information that can be referenced around when comparing missing features.

Edit: done, can you confirm it works properly now?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Flexinoodle

Oh that's excellent, thanks a lot :)
All my links to 600d threads seem to be working perfectly.

nanomad

May I ask what TL features are missing from ML for the 600D? Except for nitrate control

Flexinoodle

I think it is mainly the GOP and slice stuff, but if i remember right (Again not a developer and could be wrong here) i think that t here are some audio options that are not available in ML (The ability to run headphones and use the display)
Again i may be wrong about the audio stuff.

ffinv

I too am able to see the threads now after logging in, esp. the 6D/install threads! Thank you very much!!  :)

CF

Being a programmer (no ML or Canon) of conscience - I can certainly tell when someone else harness that same property.
I have been using A1EX's nightly builds a long time and it is clear that he is a HIGHLY skilled and conscious programmer.

I feel completely safe with him sitting behind the steering wheel !

Bypassing safety to rid errors is NOT safe and should (IMO) not be available for DL without a CLEAR statement of such.

The ML-Project is about the most beautiful thing which has happened to the CPU world. Skilled technicians supplying free and HIGHLY useful code... This is NOT happening very often.

jerrykil

I have a couple questions for you guys. What does someone starting out need to know about backporting changes to the main codebase?

Also, if a fork decides to start their own forum, are we allowed to inform others on these forums?

Thanks for all the hard work. I hope that I can or the TL user community can help 1% as well as the ML community by backporting bug fixes in a way that is acceptable to the ML codebase and developers.

Audionut

Quote from: jerrykil on April 29, 2014, 12:07:05 AM
What does someone starting out need to know about backporting changes to the main codebase?

Open source is all about collaboration.

With that in mind, you should think about backporting your own code, whenever you believe it will contribute to the original project.

Quote from: jerrykil on April 29, 2014, 12:07:05 AM
Also, if a fork decides to start their own forum, are we allowed to inform others on these forums?

As long as it doesn't become spam.  :)

I can assure you, it is significantly easier to backport fixes, then to create an entirely new support structure (forums etc).

ebulb

i have read through this post and just wanted to say i fully support the ML philosophy with development as stated through this thread.. I can understand how a fork could seem appealing short term as it looks like more features are available but when you are in the business of reverse engineering or hacking something some degree of consensus is important to ensure the right decisions are made and things remains safe.  thank you for your great work.

ed.jenner

Quote from: ebulb on May 06, 2014, 01:25:38 PM
i have read through this post and just wanted to say i fully support the ML philosophy with development as stated through this thread.. I can understand how a fork could seem appealing short term as it looks like more features are available but when you are in the business of reverse engineering or hacking something some degree of consensus is important to ensure the right decisions are made and things remains safe.  thank you for your great work.

Quote from: CF on April 18, 2014, 11:24:53 PM
Being a programmer (no ML or Canon) of conscience - I can certainly tell when someone else harness that same property.
I have been using A1EX's nightly builds a long time and it is clear that he is a HIGHLY skilled and conscious programmer.

That just about summed up my feelings on the matter.

Levinson

For a non profit project, I'm amazed at the devotion put into Magic Lantern by all the developers for all the camera models and branches. I don't post often but I enjoy reading the forum every day - and as confusing as it all may seem at first to the newcomer, it's really a well run machine. Thank you for all your efforts and time, and please let it continue :)
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

barepixels

5D2 + nightly ML

jerrykil

Audionut,

So I have a small consts.h fix, how would I go about "back porting" that? (A link would suffice)

LuisGarcia

I need some help with installing ML on my 6D, I have the Firmware 1.1.4, and there'snt a ML nightlybuild for it, so my question is can I re-instal the lastest 1.1.2 and the load the 1.1.3?, or there's no way to get back the firmware on my 6D, I haven't work with ML and I'll like to try it so please help me with this issue. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)