installation problem (no .fir file produced in the download)

Started by EFwebb, March 19, 2014, 05:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFwebb

I am trying to download ML for my 6d using software from the nightly build, since I am told that is all that is available for the 6d.  I follow the link to builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ and click the download button.  It downloads a folder titled ML and another file titled auto exec.bin, but there is no fir file.  When I take the files produced in the download and load them onto the root directory, the camera tells me that it is not detecting any firmware to update the camera with, which i suspect is the lack of a .fir file.  I have downloaded the software more than once from the website, but the results are always the same, no .fir file is produced.  Can someone let me know where I am going wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jon

EFwebb

Unfortunately your reply came a bit too late.  Someone sent me info sending me to this link "http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.0" and said I could use the .fir file listed in the link titled THIS SPECIAL UPDATER.  Unfortunately not only did it not work, but it turned my 6d into a paper weight and it will not even turn on now.  I think it deleted the firmware and will not even allow my camera to turn on and I will likely have to send it back to get fixed.  If there is anyway a link to the correct .fir file or installation process could be attached to the nightly build link it would be very helpful.

EFwebb

I just realized that the tone of my previous message came out wrong, the decision to try and install it was mine and I will get the problem fixed.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: EFwebb on March 19, 2014, 05:32:14 AM
I think it deleted the firmware

No, it doesn't. Remove battery, remove card,  reinsert battery, bootup cam. Results?

EFwebb

Yes, that worked.  However, in following the second set of instructions given to me it listed the need to be running firmware version 1.1.2, where i am using 1.1.3.  On the canon website I can find in the updates for the 6d where I can download 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, but nothing about legacy firmware versions.  Can someone point me to where I can find older firmware versions for the 6d on Canon's web page?

EFwebb

Thank you, in the list of messages I found one titled link to canon firmware, but it did not have any links to previous or current versions for the 6d, is there someplace specific in that list of messages that i am supposed to search?

EFwebb

Thanks you for your responses and for being patient with me.  However, I do have one more question.  I have made it through the entire process, but need to make my card bootable and am using Macboot to do so, but it is failing every time with the following errors.  Is this something I need to be able to fix or is it a problem with the card requiring a new card?

scripts=false chdkboot=false chdk32boot=false dslrboot=true
Command 'diskutil unmountDisk disk2' = 'Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful'
   return code was 0
making DLSR-bootable - format=2
making FAT32 DSLR-bootable
Command 'printf "EOS_DEVELOP" | dd bs=1 count=11 seek=0x47 conv=notrunc of=/dev/disk2s1' = '!Error

dd: /dev/disk2s1: Permission denied'
   return code was 1
Command 'diskutil mountDisk disk2' = 'Volume(s) mounted successfully'
   return code was 0

Audionut

The 6D got the fixed installer also, right?

Run the installer firmware, in camera.  It will set the bootflag on the card also.

a1ex

EFwebb

O.K. let me see if I am on the same page.  Initially I installed the 1.1.2 version of firmware and its associated ML software and it did successfully install.  Then I uploaded the 1.1.3 firmware with the commiserate ML files for that version.  You are saying that I need to install the boot flag someplace within that process and do not need macboot to make the card readable, is that correct.  If it is then I need to re-read the documentation to figure out how to do that, although any help would be appreciated.  And yes, I would be happy to use my 6d as an experiment for this new version you are talking about.

Audionut

Use the firmware file from a1ex here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg106986#msg106986

This will set the bootflag on the card, so you don't have to worry about macboot, and you can then provide feedback in that thread to a1ex.

Thanks.

QuoteInstallation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

EFwebb

The boot up was a success for the 6d; however, the intervalometer seems to consistently overexpose by a half second no matter which settings I choose.

Audionut

Thanks for the feedback about the installer.

The intervalometer does not control exposure.  It simply controls the time period between exposures.

EFwebb

When I say intervalometer I mean the combination of bulb exposure and intervalometer.  But the comment still stands, the bulb exposure is set to lets say 18 seconds and I get an 18.5 second exposure, the same thing happens if I set it to 4 seconds, I get a 4.5 second exposure.

Audionut

Does the bulb timer work as expected, when it is not triggered by the intervalometer?

How are you determining the exposure time?

a1ex

#define BULB_EXPOSURE_CORRECTION 649 // min value for which bulb exif is OK [not tested]

I'm not sure why this one is that big; all other cameras have 100-150ms.

EFwebb

It is possible the issue is on my end and not the software, but I am not sure.  I have the mode selector dial set to bulb, in ML the intervalometer is turned off and the bulb is set to a 10 second exposure.  I press the shutter button half way and hold for one second and it takes a single bulb exposure that in this case overexposes by 0.6 seconds, where it only does it by 0.5 seconds when operating with an intervalometer.

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on March 20, 2014, 07:18:10 AM
#define BULB_EXPOSURE_CORRECTION 649 // min value for which bulb exif is OK [not tested]

Tip 1: 649 ms is 0.649 seconds.
Tip 2: you said you are familiar with programming, did you try changing this constant?

Audionut

EFwebb

I have been at work since I sent you the first message this morning so I have not had a chance to manipulate the variable BULB_EXPOSURE_CORRECION, since the camera and my ML files are at home.