Can't open pictures

Started by djzub, March 22, 2014, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djzub

Could anyone help?
Recently I took many pictures of Northern Lights with ML 2.3 installed on SD card, after when I connect camera with laptop to download those pictures my camera showed on display ERROR message and stop working. Then I remove the battery and SD card and download those pictures using card-reader. I got them on my laptop but none of the software could open them.
Any advises???
Thanks

Walter Schulz

Shot as dual ISO or JPEG/RAW? Are you able to view those pics in the cam?

mageye

I am assuming that the pictures that you took were in DNG format.

If you don't have Adobe Photoshop installed you will probably not be able to open them or use them at all. There is a select few other programs that can open DNG but it is Adobe's baby.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/dng-file.htm
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

djzub

All shots were taken in RAW format, all files are CR2. When I took them there was 2 sec preview on camera display as usual, but I did not try to see them while I was taken shots of Northern Lights, simply to save time for more shots to make.
When I'm trying to see those pictures in camera there is a big question mark on display but when I try to see first or second picture of that series of shots camera just hangs and I have to remove battery to restart camera.

mageye

I'm not sure what's going on with the camera. Sounds odd. Maybe the card has become corrupt?

Have you tried formatting the card? and re-installing ML? Possibly the card is just corrupt and you need a new one but I wouldn't assume that that is the case.

You don't say what software you are using?

I mean do you have software installed to view the CR2 files on your computer?

If not you might want to install some of the software that comes with your camera.

Maybe you could upload one of the files that has come from your camera so people can inspect the files.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

djzub

Do You know where I may upload those files, they are "heavy" ??
Thanks

mageye

Perhaps for a longer term FREE solution to organised encrypted cloud storage consider MEGA.

50GB FREE with FREE account ;)

https://mega.co.nz

djzub

Thanks! I'll try to upload and I'll post the link to some of those files.

mageye

Not looking good I'm afraid. :(

I analysed the files in a hex editor and this is what I found:

IMG_6635.CR2 - This file was completely empty (meaning a file with no header or information at all). Just lots of 000000000's
IMG_6636.CR2 - This file had some header info (enough for me to find that you are using Canon EOS 550D) but no essence. Just lot's more 000000's
IMG_6640.CR2 - 00000000000's all the way through!
IMG_6641.CR2 - more 0000000000's
IMG_6663.CR2 - Slightly more interesting. I see that the file has a thumbnail. I am not sure if that occupies the rest of the data in the file or not (?), but there is half of the image data in there I think. It doesn't have an end of file and I am not sure how to add the correct information to create an EOF.

Possibly the last image could be saved but it wouldn't even be the full image.

In the thumbnail I think I could make out some of the lovely green colours of the aurora. It's a real shame to be losing such images. :'(

I am sorry that I can't help anymore than that.

mageye

Actually I did get something out of the last file. I managed to load it into Raw Photo Processor 64 (OSX) and it saved out a TIFF file:

https://mega.co.nz/#!t0VEnCjA!B2OwCGyRmT_5vao7FjkD9TyCez6t7gIT09eUJ51Rukw

djzub

Thanks a LOT!!!
Now at least I've got something :) It was a good display of Aurora that night.
Any ideas what could cause that problem. After every shot I saw 2sec preview on camera's display...