Lightroom plugin cr2hdr v3.0 DEV (WIP)

Started by kichetof, March 18, 2014, 05:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Yes, exactly, CR2 can be ruled out. But I guess same levels has to be on folder basis and only for movie seqeunces so the first DNG from each folder would be the white level number for that specific folder of DNG files? That,s what I do with exiftool and cr2hdr-r to avoid flicker anyway.

Danne

One other thing. If using the adobe dng converter you will get non linear results in white level once again so those won,t work together. There actually a linear settint in adobe dng converter but not implemented in cr2hdr.

kichetof

@Same-Levels Users

How do you use this function on Lightroom?
What do you think about that:

On Lightroom, if you check same-levels, the entire folder will be passing through cr2hdr --same-levels [other args] path/*.DNG[.CR2 for time lapse sequence] ?

Walter Schulz

Optional: Yes.
Mandatory: I'm against it!
And please test what cr2hdr is doing with a folder filled quite good with high-res Dual-ISO files.

kichetof

Good idea @Walter!!
I can add a double option for --same-levels

1. Nothing changes (limited by the length of the command --> the number of pictures)
2. Convert the entire path

What do you think?

I'll try to convert a folder with dual ISO from my 5DIII

DeafEyeJedi

I'm loving this progress so far guys!

Excellent contribution party going on and I like the new concept @kichetof!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

kichetof

Some bugs with path : "/Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.CR2"

19.11.15 21:13:38.381 Adobe Lightroom[907]: MLDualISO DEBUG cmd export PATH="/Users/tof/Documents/MagicLantern/lr_cr2hdr/cr2hdr.lrplugin/bin":${PATH} && exec "/Users/tof/Documents/MagicLantern/lr_cr2hdr/cr2hdr.lrplugin/bin/cr2hdr" --amaze-edge --cs2x2 --no-bad-pix --fullres --alias-map --stripe-fix --wb=graymax --same-levels "/Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.CR2" "/Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.DNG" > "/Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/same-levels-path.log"

output
/Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.CR2: No such file or directory
File not found: /Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.CR2
File not found: /Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.DNG
/Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.DNG: No such file or directory
File not found: /Users/tof/Pictures/Photographies/Magic Lantern/Dual ISO/same-levels-path/*.DNG

Code uploaded, I'll continue tomorrow

Audionut

I tend to input a days worth of shooting into one folder.  This will typically be mixed content (regular CR2, dual iso, dual iso panorama).

So I just select the dual iso images I need processed with --same-levels and export those as a group.  So basically, the same opinion as Walter.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 19, 2015, 05:24:46 PM
Optional: Yes.
Mandatory: I'm against it!

I defiantly wouldn't want all dual iso images processed with --same-levels, since that is not what that command is for.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

kichetof

@Audionut yes like me!

My target is: facility the life of a lot of people

I'm starting to add an optional same-levels-path to apply on the entire folder, but "classic" way still here!!  8)

If you want to see (only see the GUI, converter doesn't works now), download the same-levels-path repo!

For the moment is a rough code, but I'll rewrite the entire process for getting image (I'm writing another plugin to play with collections and have more experience now!)

[EDIT]

Some bugs on Mac & Win to run the command with *.CR2... need some times to investigate

starbase64

Danne

Interesting concept @starbase64. Curious. What are the benefits shooting dual iso in this situation? Are you maximizing each picture regaining highlights and shadows from each converted dual iso file prior to stacking in enfuse or do you enfuse them straight after conversion?

starbase64

dfort

Yes, but you've already got a bracketed set so why dual iso?

starbase64

Audionut

If you compare to a bracketed set of regular exposures that covers the same dynamic range, it won't be.  The top three stops of the darkest image are half resolution, and the bottom couple of stops of the brightest image are not as clean as a regular ISO 800 image.  Dual iso is great in it's intended purpose, but it just doesn't make sense here.  Dual iso is intended to increase the dynamic range from a single exposure, where you otherwise cannot bracket.

Most cameras are shot noise limited for at least the top two stops of an exposure.  That is to say, the noise produced by the camera plays no role on image quality, until at least two stops from saturation (overexposure).

When you bracket at one stop intervals, you are bracketing for shot noise only.  The noise that the camera produces plays absolutely no role on image quality, until about three stops below the saturation (overexposure) point of the brightest image.  So with the darkest six images in your bracketed set, dual iso did nothing useful, but still produced all of its cons (half resolution highlights/shadows, etc).

The only time dual iso provided a useful outcome was in the brightest image.  Here, you gain the benefit of dual iso (increased dynamic range) in the shadow areas of this image.  But since you've taken seven images in this bracketed set anyway (at one stop apart), you probably should have just continued to exposure bracket till 1024 seconds, started increasing ISO, or some combination, since this would have maintained a higher level of quality in the shadows.

Dual iso is awesome.  :)

@kichetof thanks.

kichetof

@Same-Levels Users Testers

Normally everything should works on both Mac & Windows (not tested now on this).

Download the branch and load the plugin in Lr.

Let me know if everything is fine for you. The code isn't perfect for the moment, need some time to rewrite some routines 8)

dfort

kichetof

@dfort yes I follow your topic and the fixes by a1ex! Glad to see that!

Bin's will be updated when -same-levels will be done :)

@Walter (you've always good ideas!) & all
how I denominate the 3 options for --same-levels

• -no-same-levels
  • -same-levels selected
  • -same-levels all in path

Download the branch to see the GUI with new text

Walter Schulz

Just downloaded it. Bright ideas in short supply today.

But I'm quite sure your string cleanup cleared more than asked for. ;-) Some german text string disappeared.
q.e.d.

EDIT: Not happy with recent and proposed user interface for this argument. It's just a different thing. Other arguments do something with a single file and this one - sticking out like a sore thumb - leveling selected files or everything in a folder and it just hides in plain sight.

Mumbling ... self-resetting buttons ... warning if used for single file export ... warning if set during export ... will come back with proposal. Any input welcome.

kichetof

Yes I forget to mention that you need to restore default settings for cr2hdr, otherwise, it doesn't work (that will be fixed in final version)

Imagine that:

One picture selected:
  • no-same-levels enable
  • same-levels classic & entire path disable

Two or more pictures selected:
  • no-same-levels enable
  • same-levels classic (cr2hdr --same-level img1.CR2 img2.CR2 img3.CR2 img4.CR2 img5.CR2 img6.CR2)
  • same-levels entire path disable

All pictures in folder selected:
  • no-same-levels enable
  • same-levels classic (cr2hdr --same-level img1.CR2 img2.CR2 img3.CR2 img4.CR2 img5.CR2 img6.CR2)
  • same-levels entire path (cr2hdr --same-level *.CR2)

For the moment is only for testing, GUI not finish

cr2hdr help strings was never translated :)

Danne

Does the new same-level select the whole directory regardless if you select one or all files?
Then maybe

- same level (only selected files)

- same level (selected files including the whole directory)

Havn, t had the time to test this yet. Good work Kichetof!

kichetof

You're right, new way process all files in directory, that you select one or more pictures.

That's really more simple to enable both same-levels options if selected picture is more than one...  8)

Audionut

With all pictures in folder selected, what is the difference between classic and entire path?  They would appear to do the same thing.

I haven't downloaded the GUI yet, but it would seem much better to simply provide an option of processing all files in the folder, even with no files selected.  And all CR2HDR options also, not just --same-levels.

When some files in a folder are selcted, then you have the option of processing just the selected files, or, all files in the folder.

Edit: wait it's late and I'm forgetting how lightroom works.  I'll download GUI before commentating further.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on November 26, 2015, 02:46:00 PMWith all pictures in folder selected, what is the difference between classic and entire path?  They would appear to do the same thing.

There *should* be no difference. String used for "classic" will contain all file names (thus causing problems if maximum command line string lenght is reached, 2047 or 8191). "Entire path" should run wildcards AFAIK.